cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Gen Consoles targeting more than 10.7 Tflops?

pyroth309
Visionary
Apparently Google Stadia has Sony and Microsoft concerned and rumors are flying that they will have their consoles exceed the 10.7 tflops of stadia's streaming service. That would be higher than a GTX 1080 at 9 teraflops.

According to the leak, Sony’s PS5 is aiming higher than Google Stadia’s 10.7 teraflop GPU. Not only the PS5, but Microsoft’s next Xbox codenamed Lockhart is also said to be gunning for the same target GPU.

The information comes from Kotaku’s Jason Schreier, who is a trusted source on industry insider knowledge. Schreier further claimed that both next-gen consoles are set to launch next year.

If this turns out to be legit, PSVR 2 could be a real contender and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decides to jump in as well. 

https://digiworthy.com/2019/03/29/next-xbox-ps5-teraflops-stadia/
63 REPLIES 63

Dilip
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

I do believe PS5 could be a real VR monster - if done right. 11 teraflops using highly optimized and fine-tuned code on the PS5 could be close to the real-world PCVR performance using a 2080 Ti (13-14 tflops). And many/most of the current great VR games are or will be available also for PSVR. 

Nvidia better get the price down on those high-end RTX cards - and get us some more power efficient 7 nm models  B) 

Console SoCs always have upper hand for developer with Known Hardware and Low Level Unlock Tricks, hence 11 Teraflops ( Indeed  GTX 1660ti ) Should be sufficent for RIFT S class display. (which is nothing but 1440p monitor disguised as HMD, we all know 1660ti's 1440p performance figures they are awesome like Witcher 3 plays at 60 Fps at all details maxed, and 90+ Fps in case some not so critical details dialed down to half.) So yes future PS 5 with 11 teraflops can easily fuel RIFT S which is great deal for good vr. 

Regarding pricing....They are bound to come down, any case Ray Tracing (Which is semi synthetic at present and not 100% real ray tracing..google it) is not that big deal for me when compared with 90+ Fps vs 50 Fps. 1660ti is already right priced at $280 which throw 1070 out of water ($380 in OCT 2018). 1660ti will be $240/250 by Christmas so not bad at all.   

Dilip
Rising Star

pyroth309 said:

I'm super interested to see what Intel can do as they've been "stealing" a lot of GPU designers. They probably won't compete with Nvidia's TI this generation, but hopefully next. AMD completely failed on their architecture for the high end this gen. Here's hoping they fix it up for next as well. 

As far as the thread goes,

Intel porched AMD's Radeon Guru Raja Koduri  Senior vice president and chief GPU Architect, Radeon Who had introduced RX 480 back in 2016 at $300 which helped AMD to re establish its position as competitor in GPU industry which was by then low to rags..... 
fa8u7mjomfa5.jpg

Now Senior Vice President and General Manager of Intel Architecture, Graphics and Software at Intel Corporation since March 2019. He was the Chief Architect, Senior Vice President of Core & Visual Computing Group and General Manager of Edge Computing Solutions at Intel Corporation since December 2017 until March 2019. Mr. Koduri has 20 years of hands-on experience advancing the visual computing experience, from application software programming ...

here nice article on why he left AMD. 

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-discrete-gpu-boss-raja-koduri-explains-why-he-left-amd

pyroth309 said:

I'd be shocked if Microsoft doesn't jump into VR with the next Xbox. I think with their financials and lower sales, they just weren't willing to pioneer it. But now that it's a more established and growing medium, they'd frankly be stupid not to now especially since they have WMR.

Microsoft's resistance to VR has not much to do with their financials and lower sales, had there been case there never been WMR, its their stupid XBOX Leadership which prevented VR to take place on XBOX, Specially ONE X since S was never capable for VR, may be those short sighted people waiting every XBOX ONE S to be replaced by XBOX ONE X after which they will start shifting WMR games to XBOX ONE X by then they will be late by 5+ years to already skyrocketing PSVR. Microsoft XBOX Leadership must identify hidden gofers within them which are hampering their progress on VR front.

pyroth309
Visionary

Some interesting Quotes -
In terms of specs, we now know
that the new console will feature an eight-core CPU based on AMD’s Ryzen
line as well as a custom AMD Radeon Navi GPU. Some of the benefits of
these upgrades include support for ray tracing (which will change the
way light bounces off of objects) and a custom 3D audio unit that Cerny
says will “show how dramatically different the audio experience can be
when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

While new CPUs and GPUs are
inevitable, Cerny says that the most significant hardware upgrade is
actually the hard drive. Sony has installed a solid-state drive in the
PS5 that Cerny claims has a higher raw bandwidth than any SSD you can
get for a PC. In order to demonstrate just how powerful the drive is,
Cerny turned on Marvel’s Spider-Man on a PS4 Pro and a next-gen
devkit. He then initiated a fast-travel sequence (picking a location on
the map for Spidey to warp to) on both machines. It took 15 seconds on
the PS4 Pro. On the devkit, it took 0.8 seconds.

• The PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with the PS4.
  • Games will continue to launch for the PS4 and PS5 after the new console launches.
  • The PS5 will support the current PlayStation VR hardware (but an update seems likely).
Sony's gearing up for a big run.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like Sony is going to own.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'd say so mate, how you doing ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I do believe PS5 could be a real VR monster - if done right. 11 teraflops using highly optimized and fine-tuned code on the PS5 could be close to the real-world PCVR performance using a 2080 Ti (13-14 tflops). And many/most of the current great VR games are or will be available also for PSVR. 

Nvidia better get the price down on those high-end RTX cards - and get us some more power efficient 7 nm models  B) 

i am pretty excited for the next gen of consoles..... esp as i assume they will both be fully backwards compatible. i am only getting one if disk based however (which both of the next gen ones are, but i think these will be the last ones) MS are already phasing out the xbox1s and having a digital only version as their base model and Xbox2 will come in 2 flavours.

i believe Xbox3 and PS6 will be digital only (or god help up cloud streaming only)  I hate having PC as digital only but at least history shows us they tend to support the platform more than consoles.

but yeah i can imagine the next gen consoles being good for VR..... i hope they go all in on cross platform mutliplayer however as i know some of my mates will stay PC regardless.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, streaming is going to happen at some point. Even on PS4/Xbox, more people are downloading than buying boxes now. It's only a matter of time.

Curious to see what Microsoft does now. Are they still going to go for the performance edge like the Xbox One X? Ideally for me is they release a new generation of WMR and allow it to work on the new Xbox. Not sure how concerned they should be about the PSVR 2 being wireless though.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Yea, streaming is going to happen at some point. Even on PS4/Xbox, more people are downloading than buying boxes now. It's only a matter of time.

Curious to see what Microsoft does now. Are they still going to go for the performance edge like the Xbox One X? Ideally for me is they release a new generation of WMR and allow it to work on the new Xbox. Not sure how concerned they should be about the PSVR 2 being wireless though.

Exciting if Sony can get both the HMD and the controllers right for PS5. If they do deliver a solution not too far from let's just say Rift-S, then I'll contact Sony immediately with my new top secret ideas for promoting the PS5  B)

3j1m79o5q3ps.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately, given their previous track record with non-console hardware (Kinect and HoloLens) I'm not getting my hopes up for the Xbox VR being any good.

They seem to have done okay with the WVR headsets but even then the tracking is poor. I'd put good money on them fucking things up somewhere like they normally do.

As for PSVR we'll have to wait and see. They need to sort out their motion controls and tracking, even if it means that previous games and apps aren't compatible with PSVR 2.

If both platform holders have DECENT VR and they're supported with decent games at launch then we may see mainstream gamers getting into VR which means we may see big name franchises coming to VR in the not too distant future...

...but it wouldn't surprise me if both of them fuck it up somehow 😞

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@snowdog- Sony hasn't messed up with their current VR headset and I don't expect them to mess up with PS VR2. In-fact, I think it's Sony and not Oculus that will bring more people to VR, as it has shown with it's first VR offering by selling 4 million plus headsets. 

All of this will help Oculus and other VR companies make a successes of VR, so everyone wins in the end.