cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could you allow me to use rift CV1 HMD to create the YouTube content about my VR technical idea?

ocuyongbi
Explorer
Dear Oculus,

I am Yongbum Kim from South Korea (Republic of Korea).

I want to upload Youtube VR contents created using Oculus Rift HMD (CV1) and 3rd party's Mocap solutions.

I would like to make a VR HMD required for performing this activity. But, I do not have the ability to produce such excellent hardware.

It is so obvious. Because it's a masterpiece that the world's best engineers have built and updated over the years. Therefore, I have no choice but to use Oculus’s HMD for making the Youtube contents.

I have seen a lot of VR videos created by individuals, and they are using Oculus rift HMD. They may be engineers (may not be Oculus engineers) or Youtubers. I also want to use Oculus rift HMD in Youtube without violating Oculus's intellectual property right.

However, I am doubtful whether this behavior is legitimate because the intellectual property rights about the Oculus Rift HMD belongs to Oculus, and I obviously use Oculus's HMD to implement my technical ideas. Therefore, I have to ask for Oculus's permission.

Could you allow me to use rift HMD to create the YouTube content about my VR technical idea?

If Oculus refuse my proposal, every effort I have made for two and a half years becomes a waste.

My technical idea is not about the details of Oculus's technologies but about my technical concept of VR equipment which can be controlled by hands.

I sent mails several times to Oculus Support team about the above IPR issue, and
They recommended me to send a mail to media@oculus.com.

I sent the same mail three times (14, 2, 2019 / 20, 2, 2019 / 13, 4, 2019 - US local date) to media@oculus.com.

I have waited for the response from media@oculus.com for more than two months, but there is no response.

I generally use gmail.    As you may know that gmail has no function to verify that the recipient has read the mail.      And, so I send the same e-mail through different mail system (Naver.com - Korean IT company) which has the verifying function.

I finally realized media@oculus.com did not read my mail at all.
According to the fact, I'm sure they would not have checked all the mail I sent so far.

I heard from other developers who have sent mail to media@oculus.com that he had the same experience with me like "There is no response to my mail from media@oculus.com.

Of course, I understand that due to heavy volume it may be difficult that the media@oculus.com reply to each developer having the smallest business volume like me, and Oculus Support team are unable to influence that and have no right to control media@oculus.com.

Of course, it is very important for VR enterprise to sell one more VR HMD, but VR business is now infancy, not mature.

A lot of VR developers like me have the passion to enlarge the VR business pi.
And so, I want Oculus to give more attention to VR developers like me, and give me a answer about the above issue.   I will wait for your reply.
Now I am very desperate.    It's very important to me.

Thanks.

Best regards,

P.s - I would like to upload my technical contents to YouTube after March 28th.

2. I bought 2 Oculus Rift CV1 HMDs from amazon.com.

2 REPLIES 2

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@ocuyongbi Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Though I'm not in the right division for this, do you have a video link I can forward to get a better sense of what you're trying to do?
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @mouse_bear once you have done so!

ocuyongbi
Explorer
Thanks for your attention.
I have no video link, but video made for uploading youtube.
It's a kind of virtual desk top.        I just use CV1 HMD without CV1 tracking cameras , touch sensors for my technical configuration.     I applied Optitrack tracking sensors for tracking cameras.