Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Undecided - Need more details
    Zenbane said:
    But as @pyroth309 said, we are still in an "if" situation, because the Valve Index has not yet hit the market and has not yet proven itself. Everything is an "if" until it stands the test of time. That includes Oculus Quest and the Rift-S.
    Well - I wouldn't say we need the "test of time" as much as demos and more information on the headset. By the time "test of time" rolls over - most VR customers are going to look for the next best thing xD 

When it comes to workstations that need to be reliable without risk of random bugs - then getting last generation makes sense there.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,685 Valuable Player
    Quest
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    But as @pyroth309 said, we are still in an "if" situation, because the Valve Index has not yet hit the market and has not yet proven itself. Everything is an "if" until it stands the test of time. That includes Oculus Quest and the Rift-S.
    Well - I wouldn't say we need the "test of time" as much as demos and more information on the headset. By the time "test of time" rolls over - most VR customers are going to look for the next best thing xD 

When it comes to workstations that need to be reliable without risk of random bugs - then getting last generation makes sense there.

I have to disagree based solely on the fact that these HMD's must prove to be durable! Boxing sims, and other physically demanding games like Onward and Sprint Vector mean that a VR HMD must prove to handle harsh movements and lots of sweat. Not to mention that the hand-controllers must be able to take some damage. My touch controllers have punched just about every damn thing in my room, including walls and a table.
    :)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 17
    Zenbane said:
    I have to disagree based solely on the fact that these HMD's must prove to be durable! Boxing sims, and other physically demanding games like Onward and Sprint Vector mean that a VR HMD must prove to handle harsh movements and lots of sweat. Not to mention that the hand-controllers must be able to take some damage. My touch controllers have punched just about every damn thing in my room, including walls and a table.
    Mine too xD these dam things just never die! As for the HMD - mine died early in terms of how well I was taking care of it (I baby the thing) for it to do what it did seem from my view (and others that post here) to not hold help as well. With that said - hardly anyone reports touch controllers dieing (short of the battery of coarse) lol.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,289
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:

That is what I am most afraid of with the quest. The altered touch leave my knuckles exposed. The CV1 touch protected my hand very well and I've punched several things lol.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,629 Valuable Player
    Quest
    I have mixed thoughts about the change in Touch design. On the one hand I think i'd rather bash my knuckles than the controllers on account of them being cheaper. On the other hand I'll probably have a few scraped knuckles.

Then again, I could choose Valve and buy some knuckles.... wait I'm getting confused.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    edited April 18
    Quest
    pyroth309 said:
    if the Index isn't good enough. 

Index not good enough?

So this is the question that put everything in to momentary tailspin lol

I want to add that during the GDC and Rift-S discussion, several of us (myself included) made similar statements: If the tracking on the Rift-S proves good enough when it comes to the blind spots (e.g. behind the back), then I will consider it. If not, then I'll just wait longer and consider competitors.

When discussing unreleased products, we have no choice but to talk about the "if" alternatives.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 971
    3Jane
    Quest & Valve Index
    It's seriously too late for me with the hype...if Half Life 3 isn't released with Valve Index on 1st May then I will probably just quit my job, move country and just live in the Forrest with a family of Gorillas, never to be seen ever again!!
    Quest
    kojack said:
    The hype train seems like a fun ride, but it usually stops at a station you didn't want.

I kinda miss the Pimax Hype Train at times like this.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,502 Valuable Player
    It's seriously too late for me with the hype...if Half Life 3 isn't released with Valve Index on 1st May then I will probably just quit my job, move country and just live in the Forrest with a family of Gorillas, never to be seen ever again!!

To aggressive I would prefer to head to South America and live with the Chinchillas!

So soft so cute...……… I beat they are delicious!

Bring sun screen or a big damn sombrero though when I was last in Chile the sun was brutal!

WAAAGH!
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Quest & Rift S
    Oculus had my attention for a while! 
    However lack of release date and possibility to preorder the Quest and Rift S is shifting my attention.

Already got the Rift/Go & Vive (with the TPCast addon) and are now looking for an upgrade!
    Looking for a better experience, Wireless, Better image quality (Resolution) and great tracking.

So I did shift my attention, is now towards the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos, maybe because Rift S didn’t bump up specifications enough and the Quest seems to miss that CPU/GPU capacity to render HQ images (Based on shown upcoming games and apps.)

Maybe the Vive Pro with the Wireless addon is the way to go!
    Guess I have to wait some time to get more info/specifications on the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos....
    While waiting for Oculus!
    Quest
     I think for me the biggest test will be once I invest in these new headsets. Will I be able to stand by my own words of whether the wider FOV really is king over everything else. I suspect though I might get blown away by the HP Reverb's ultra clear visuals and retract my comments.

Glad you are still enjoying your Pimax, buddy!

Personally, I think Software is King. Not Hardware. It doens't matter much how clear or wide the view, if what you're looking at isn't very compelling.

As for Pimax, I would just say that the Hype didn't really match the Final Product. Not to say that the final product was total vaporware. It seems that those who have received their Pimax (minus the defects) enjoy it when compared to current competitors. And that's great. But that's also different when we look at what was originally promised (true 8K, eye-tracking, etc).

So yeah, the Hype was definitely pants in the end.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    Valve Index

Shadowmask, I hope you're handling it with SUPER care, check out this link. People are tripping out, having it only a few weeks old, and cracks are forming from NOTHING.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/housing-issue-reports-cracks-imperfections-etc/17203/10

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,839
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    Zenbane said:
     I think for me the biggest test will be once I invest in these new headsets. Will I be able to stand by my own words of whether the wider FOV really is king over everything else. I suspect though I might get blown away by the HP Reverb's ultra clear visuals and retract my comments.

Glad you are still enjoying your Pimax, buddy!

Personally, I think Software is King. Not Hardware. It doens't matter much how clear or wide the view, if what you're looking at isn't very compelling.

As for Pimax, I would just say that the Hype didn't really match the Final Product. Not to say that the final product was total vaporware. It seems that those who have received their Pimax (minus the defects) enjoy it when compared to current competitors. And that's great. But that's also different when we look at what was originally promised (true 8K, eye-tracking, etc).

So yeah, the Hype was definitely pants in the end.
     I presume you can play on steam and use revive for Oculus games with the Pimax?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,413 Valuable Player
    edited May 7
    No need for Revive as Oculus games just work direct from Pitool. I think this is because I already have the Oculus account. It might be a different process for those without.  I have no cracks so far. It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,566 Valuable Player
    WMR
     It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

:D 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,796 Valuable Player
    WMR
      In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 
    Ditto :sunglasses:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • sakariaurasakariaura Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Rift S
    Already preordered Rift S. However I wish they had kept the old speaker design from Rift. The new system is way worse and I hate it already without even trying. Was expecting bigger resolution bump also. This will probably be last Rift I buy unless Oculus gets back to right track with their flagship product. Valve index would had been my pick already if I knew my existing games would certainly support that.

-Disappointed customer but still a customer
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    Already preordered Rift S. However I wish they had kept the old speaker design from Rift. The new system is way worse and I hate it already without even trying. Was expecting bigger resolution bump also. This will probably be last Rift I buy unless Oculus gets back to right track with their flagship product. Valve index would had been my pick already if I knew my existing games would certainly support that.

-Disappointed customer but still a customer
    They work with revive, I believe they have already implemented index support.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,788 Valuable Player
    I want to know more about cosmos.  IF there is a version of revive which allows it to run PC based oculus store apps and standalone quest apps on it then that could be my next HMD.

I dunno.. definitely want to know more but if it is true it has a snapdragon 855 in it when in standalone mode that could be fab.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,788 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    Mradr said:

With that said - hardly anyone reports touch controllers dieing (short of the battery of coarse) lol.
    I punched the wall with my oculus touch when i 1st got them................. and all it did was leave a dent in my wall.
    oculus touch is built to last, massive respect to who ever designed and built those things.

(not saying i want to risk doing it again!)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,415 Valuable Player
    Yup, those things must be made from Nintendium lol

Going to be interesting to see how the Index controllers do when smacked about a bit. It's also going to be interesting to see how many people accidentally start throwing the controllers around. Oculus abandoned an almost identical Touch prototype because people start throwing the things around the office.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    They have a wrist strap like touch 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,339
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    No need for Revive as Oculus games just work direct from Pitool. I think this is because I already have the Oculus account. It might be a different process for those without.  I have no cracks so far. It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 
    Me too. I preordered the Rift S and reserved the Index. 

If the Rift S doesn't seem like a significant upgrade to my Rift I'll just return it. But what I'm really looking forward to is the Index. 

Waiting until the end of August will be torture :( I can't believe the preorders sold out so quickly. And I was away on vacation so I didn't even have a chance. I hate waiting. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited May 9
    Quest & Valve Index
    I hate waiting too, we probably all do, I guess it's because we live in modern times where everyone is used to buy it now, receive it tomorrow mentality. 

I originally selected Quest & Index on the poll in this thread and then now I changed my mind and went Rift S & Index.

I'm also disappointed about no built in headphones on Rift S but still hoping Oculus release an addon for the headphones really soon!!! 

When I tried to pre-order Valve Index, it said 31st August and they sent me an email saying they will send me another email closer to the time so that I can pay? When do you guys reckon we will receive this email?