cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

kojack
MVP
MVP
The hype train seems like a fun ride, but it usually stops at a station you didn't want.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

The hype train seems like a fun ride, but it usually stops at a station you didn't want.

If it manages to stop in the first place!

wdslelfstucm.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
It's seriously too late for me with the hype...if Half Life 3 isn't released with Valve Index on 1st May then I will probably just quit my job, move country and just live in the Forrest with a family of Gorillas, never to be seen ever again!!
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

I kinda miss the Pimax Hype Train at times like this.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

It's seriously too late for me with the hype...if Half Life 3 isn't released with Valve Index on 1st May then I will probably just quit my job, move country and just live in the Forrest with a family of Gorillas, never to be seen ever again!!

To aggressive I would prefer to head to South America and live with the Chinchillas!

So soft so cute...……… I beat they are delicious!

Bring sun screen or a big damn sombrero though when I was last in Chile the sun was brutal!

WAAAGH!

JohSm67
Rising Star
Oculus had my attention for a while! 
However lack of release date and possibility to preorder the Quest and Rift S is shifting my attention.

Already got the Rift/Go & Vive (with the TPCast addon) and are now looking for an upgrade!
Looking for a better experience, Wireless, Better image quality (Resolution) and great tracking.

So I did shift my attention, is now towards the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos, maybe because Rift S didn’t bump up specifications enough and the Quest seems to miss that CPU/GPU capacity to render HQ images (Based on shown upcoming games and apps.)

Maybe the Vive Pro with the Wireless addon is the way to go!
Guess I have to wait some time to get more info/specifications on the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos....
While waiting for Oculus!
JohSm

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

kojack said:

I kinda miss the Pimax Hype Train at times like this.

Oi oi fella, I am still using my 8K it has replaced my Rift, even if I now look like this.

I think for me the biggest test will be once I invest in these new headsets. Will I be able to stand by my own words of whether the wider FOV really is king over everything else. I suspect though I might get blown away by the HP Reverb's ultra clear visuals and retract my comments.

😕 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think for me the biggest test will be once I invest in these new headsets. Will I be able to stand by my own words of whether the wider FOV really is king over everything else. I suspect though I might get blown away by the HP Reverb's ultra clear visuals and retract my comments.

Glad you are still enjoying your Pimax, buddy!

Personally, I think Software is King. Not Hardware. It doens't matter much how clear or wide the view, if what you're looking at isn't very compelling.

As for Pimax, I would just say that the Hype didn't really match the Final Product. Not to say that the final product was total vaporware. It seems that those who have received their Pimax (minus the defects) enjoy it when compared to current competitors. And that's great. But that's also different when we look at what was originally promised (true 8K, eye-tracking, etc).

So yeah, the Hype was definitely pants in the end.

Evileyes
Rising Star

Shadowmask, I hope you're handling it with SUPER care, check out this link. People are tripping out, having it only a few weeks old, and cracks are forming from NOTHING.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/housing-issue-reports-cracks-imperfections-etc/17203/10

i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

Luciferous
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Glad you are still enjoying your Pimax, buddy!

Personally, I think Software is King. Not Hardware. It doens't matter much how clear or wide the view, if what you're looking at isn't very compelling.

As for Pimax, I would just say that the Hype didn't really match the Final Product. Not to say that the final product was total vaporware. It seems that those who have received their Pimax (minus the defects) enjoy it when compared to current competitors. And that's great. But that's also different when we look at what was originally promised (true 8K, eye-tracking, etc).

So yeah, the Hype was definitely pants in the end.

I presume you can play on steam and use revive for Oculus games with the Pimax?