cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a big choppy mess its almost like Gordon Ramsey is cooking in my oculus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I have a pc well capable of VR i5 4690, 16gb 1333mhz of ram and a gtx1070 with my oculus app installed on an SSD and the rest on a HDD.
whenever I try to play games such as beat saber (through steam) or assetto corsa they sit at about 45fps and when quite a lot is happening and neither my GPU, CPU nor my ram is maxed out at 100% usage it will get quite choppy. with that being said a few games work fine them being VTOL VR, Pavlov VR and payday 2 VR I don't see why Pavlov is a lot more demanding so why does it only go choppy and drop frames in only half of the games I play in VR. I've tried doing like everything installing open composite lowing my graphics turning of msaa but none of it seems to work. Oh, pc master race please bless me with your knowledge of all things pc and help me find a solution.

sincerely willo x

15 REPLIES 15

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

@OmegaM4N - You use a Dell visor for VR? What spec did you get for £150 that would work with VR? Also, does it play most games.

Dell Vr visor is just one of the many avalible WMR(windows mixed reality), vr headsets that are natively supported for VR with W10, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, HP and many others make their own WMR headsets, and they usually all come with the same spec's, although newers models appearing now offer better specs all round, but they all come with inside out tracking which works actually ok, the Dell one i have is very good, it is perfect for SteamVR sit down sim games because it has a nice sharp 1440 X 1440 display for each eye, plus no God rays and the sde is the best i have seen yet, BUT, it does have it's draw backs, it has a LCD so the blacks are not as great as the CV1 OLED, plus the motion controllers are again fine, but outclassed by the CV1 MC, but for the £150 i paid for it i got a real bargain, great for steamVR games like Elite, Euro truck sim and Dirt rally, with the first two really coming into their own from that bump in screen res when it comes to reading anything in those games........but if you can get one for under £150 then you got  bargain.

Pros of WMR...
Higher res than the CV1 or Vive.
You can use your own headphones.
W10 native support.
SteamVr support is great.
God ray and SDE are way better than the CV1.
PC requirements a bit lower than CV1 or vive.
Best and cheapest option if all you really want to do is enjoy sitting down vr sims (in my opinion)

Cons of WMR..
LCD screen blacks are not on the same ballpark as CV1 or Vive
Lower focal point for your eye meaning it will only be sharp at what you are looking at, but you can mess about it.
Software IPD adjustment
Motion controllers are ok, but could be a lot better.
No built in headphones, (yes this is a dual one, i like my headphones built into my headset).
Requires a BT dongle for those MC if you don't have BT built into your PC.
Does not like any passive USB 3.0 extension cables over 6 feet.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

OmegaM4N said:

Don't forget though mate, the Rift has been Updated to Rift S now, and the original Rift was released a long time ago. Now Rift S is what everything should be compared to really, and Rift S has the latest lenses with reviews saying the god rays are pretty much gone. Also apparently the SDE is a lot better too.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I will say since the CV1 went to Core 2.0 i have seen a nice imporvement across the board with it, Rift store and CV1 SDK supported games run great now, and i can supersample to 1.25 and everything does look very good, i have even been watching movies with it, something i could not stomach back in 2017/18 due to the sde and the GR, i mean both are still there but don't seem a prominent as they did on day one, so i can only assume the software has done something, but whatever it is it is great, really enjoying it.

As for the S, i will wait and see after launch but i suspect i will no doubt end up getting it at some point if the Valve Index wants Vive type launch cash, i mean i can buy a Vive right now for £499, but the Dell visor has me covered for SteamVr games so i am in no hurry. at present all bases are covered. 🙂
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm just here for the Gordan Ramsay reference.

Good luck fixing the choppiness. Since it only happens on certain games then it most certainly is related to GPU settings. I would get a choppy mess when playing Lone Echo on max settings, while running a mere 980. Turning off AA and lowering certain settings helped a ton.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OmegaM4N said:

RedRizla said:

@OmegaM4N - You use a Dell visor for VR? What spec did you get for £150 that would work with VR? Also, does it play most games.

Dell Vr visor is just one of the many avalible WMR(windows mixed reality), vr headsets that are natively supported for VR with W10, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, HP and many others make their own WMR headsets, and they usually all come with the same spec's, although newers models appearing now offer better specs all round, but they all come with inside out tracking which works actually ok, the Dell one i have is very good, it is perfect for SteamVR sit down sim games because it has a nice sharp 1440 X 1440 display for each eye, plus no God rays and the sde is the best i have seen yet, BUT, it does have it's draw backs, it has a LCD so the blacks are not as great as the CV1 OLED, plus the motion controllers are again fine, but outclassed by the CV1 MC, but for the £150 i paid for it i got a real bargain, great for steamVR games like Elite, Euro truck sim and Dirt rally, with the first two really coming into their own from that bump in screen res when it comes to reading anything in those games........but if you can get one for under £150 then you got  bargain.

Pros of WMR...
Higher res than the CV1 or Vive.
You can use your own headphones.
W10 native support.
SteamVr support is great.
PC requirements a bit lower than CV1 or vive.
Best and cheapest option if all you really want to do is enjoy sitting down vr sims (in my opinion)

Cons of WMR..
LCD screen blacks are not on the same ballpark as CV1 or Vive
Lower focal point for your eye meaning it will only be sharp at what you are looking at, but you can mess about it.
Software IPD adjustment
Motion controllers are ok, but could be a lot better.
No built in headphones, (yes this is a dual one, i like my headphones built into my headset).
Requires a BT dongle for those MC if you don't have BT built into your PC.
Does not like any passive USB 3.0 extension cables over 6 feet.

another con is the tracking it may be cheaper but that's shows in its performance especially in the dell wmr

JazzaKazza
Honored Guest
answer: pavlov is unreal engine 4, meaning its poorly optimized, had the same issue but 2 years later