Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR? - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

124»

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,380 Valuable Player
    edited March 17
    Interesting to see review disparity:

Could indicate that the Rift was their primary platform when making the game. Touch controls work flawlessly, love the weapons.

BTW had a great experience tonight, but not at first. Yesterday my 7 year old son used the Rift to see the back of the moon and play some Angry Birds. Starting Shadow Legend today something didn't feel right. Cleaned my glasses and the HMD lenses, tried to reposition the HMD on my head, but it didn't really help. Felt like my sight was slightly off, like having some eye problems or maybe like experiencing light brain damage resulting in some fuzzy visual sensation. Then it dawned on me - I've forgotten to change the IPD back, doh! Never expected the IPD to be so important, but it is. The take home message from all this - I hope they get the IPD right on Rift S!  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    Presumably because the average Steam user expects video games to provide at least 50 hours of content for every $5 spent.

Or, let me guess, every other bad review says "I wanted this to be 100% like Skyrim, but it's not!"
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • AlextendedAlextended Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 17
    CrashFu said:
    Presumably because the average Steam user expects video games to provide at least 50 hours of content for every $5 spent.

Or, let me guess, every other bad review says "I wanted this to be 100% like Skyrim, but it's not!"
    It can't be just that, Vengeful Rites and Karnage Chronicles for example aren't that long either (yet at least, I don't know how many chapters Vengeful Rites is supposed to have when completed but the first chapter released so far has a handful of hours of gameplay, it can even be considered shorter than Shadow Legend since it's a less condensed game overall when almost no step you take in Shadow Legend is without purpose) but both have a much higher ratio of positive reviews (and in the case of the latter it's not the smaller sample size since it also has many more reviews total).

There are many other short games with largely positive reception on there as well, I just chose a couple that for some might be in the same or similar vague game genre as Shadow Legend, and of course they're both VR games as well. There's plenty of shitposting on Steam, or rather the internet in general to be honest, this forum included, but I wouldn't say it's very commonly enough to warp a great game's reception outside the odd review bombing situation that's easy to discover if it's what happened. Maybe the loading bug affected them a lot as I see a lot of complaints about that so hopefully people will revise their review when that's fixed, or it at least won't affect future owners so the positive percentage could perhaps change over time.

Either way it's pretty common for good indie games to have good (percentage wise, it's not like these games sell millions anywhere generally) reception on Steam so that someone can point to some examples that didn't happen isn't enough reason to claim it's so unreliable, or more unreliably than elsewhere, by default. Shitty user reviews exist everywhere, from Amazon to some local fast food joint, people can be the same jerks anywhere. There are low effort/low quality positive reviews as well.

It's also important to note that Steam doesn't have an actual score, just a percentage of how many people recommend it vs not. They don't give it a rating beyond that simple yes/no so if 90% of people recommend it that doesn't mean they think it's a 9/10 game, they could feel it's a 7/10 or 3.5/5 game and still recommend it. Those who don't recommend it also don't necessarily think it's a 2/10 or 1/5 game either. I don't translate the percentages on Steam as a score personally, it just tells me how many people liked it enough vs not and that's all it does, I research a game in other ways before I decide to purchase it and I imagine that's the same for most people. After all, it's pretty common for top sellers on Steam, when no big release like DMC5 and RE2 (or preorder or sale) has happened, to be some (to me) random survival games with mixed or even largely negative reviews!
    Steam users did experience a lot of different problems with the game, still strange that Oculus users didn't - at least not to the same degree. 

Steam more or less ranges from:

"The best VR RPG I've ever played. It may be short, but the VR elements such as grabing, climbing, sword fighting and bow fight have been beautifully combined here. Hope that there come a DLC or something else. Thats the right way to make VR bigger and better and to support developer witch understand the VR System."

to: 

"Honestly, you'd be better off paying $25 on a prostitute who you know has aids."

I'd recommend trying the game if you like more linear RPGs - if you don't like it, get a refund. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Just beat it today, awesome game! It is def a little on the short side but loved the combat and little details. Gets me excited for the future of VR gaming for sure!
    edited March 21
    I feel I'm close to the end, have now defeated the gigantic Gargoyle, felt slightly like the Cyberdemon in Doom VFR and actually got me to sweat a bit - I did go into war wearing both a shirt and a sweater, man that was dumb  :joy: 

Mr. Gargoyle taught me - just like Cyberdemon - the beauty of great tracking - it's simply a matter of life and death :wink:

The game was as always a great experience, using ss 2.0 in 90 fps is simply awesome - my confidence in the Rift is fully restored. So - although I think this dude needs to get laid - I don't disagree much with him:

BTW, did get stuck in the game and refused to get help - this is how you pump up the gaming time  :D  o:) And I still got stuff to do...

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,935 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    Any time someone mentions how "long" a game is, I assume they're referring to the average speed-running time.  Get into the game, immediately run from one objective to the next, skip all the dialogue, and never "waste" any time looking around your environment unless the game makes you..

Personally, I've always felt like people who play through games like that are really missing out.  It should be about the journey, not the destination, y'know? Gotta stop and smell the roses, etc.   Especially in VR, when the whole point is to immerse yourself in another world;  why go there in the first place if you're just gonna be in a hurry to get back out?

Exactly. And this happens with every VR title. People skip half the content and then go online to say, "meh, this was fast."

In Shadow Legend, people can spend significant time in the first House, with the Black Smith. Turn the Coal in to Iron Ore, then take all broken swords to the anvil, straighten them out, and keep them to sell later. Also collect all hidden gold/gems and runes.

There's plenty to do before leaving the first room.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 461
    Trinity
    edited March 22
    Any time someone mentions how "long" a game is, I assume they're referring to the average speed-running time.
    No. They're referring to the average speed-running + replay value + exploration value + amount of content.
    Let's be real, the VR market is full of indie games that are literally over in 5 hours or less. In fact, SteamVR is 99% full of games like that xD!
    But don't make me say what I didn't say: I am satisfied with the VR content, many games are worth several dozens of hours. But many games also are not, which is why the concern about the game "size" is legit.

That said, Shadow Legend does seem to have a lot of exploration value ^^.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    edited March 22
    Any time someone mentions how "long" a game is, I assume they're referring to the average speed-running time.
    No. They're referring to the average speed-running + replay value + exploration value + amount of content.

From the experience of reading people claim that a game is short, and then playing them for myself... you are definitely wrong. Robinsons the Journey is a great example. I bought it thinking it was a short game after reading many reviews, and the game ended up being more than twice as long because I chose all the side-quests and in-game unlocks.

CrashFu and myself tend to be the type of gamers who include Exploration Value and Amount of Content.
    Trinity
    Mentioning one example won't give any weight to what you say, buddy. Especially when I can give you dozens of games that were blamed for being lackluster and which had it coming indeed.

- Evasion is fun, but it has no exploration value and the gameplay is so thin you've seen it all in an hour.
    - I love Windlands 2, but it is so linear you've seen it all in one playthrough. The playthrough is 8 hours long though, but only because of a few difficulty spikes (that damn door.... brr...).
    - Arkham VR. Great story and memorable scenes, but... the first playthrough is 3 hours, and there's replay value only for collectionnists.
    - Rush, Sparc, Affected, all those have gameplays that can literally be summed up in one line and barely no content.
    - Most SteamVR games. Just open the SteamVR library.

Again, don't make me say what I didn't say: there are great VR games. A lot of them. But the market is also flooded with games like Gal Gun VR.
    Current VR results imo:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

edited March 22
    Mentioning one example won't give any weight to what you say, buddy.

It's better than the zero examples you gave. I've given plenty more over the last 3 years, so I don't really need to prove myself to you. Your counter argument lacked realism.

- Evasion is fun, but it has no exploration value and the gameplay is so thin you've seen it all in an hour.
    - I love Windlands 2, but it is so linear you've seen it all in one playthrough. The playthrough is 8 hours long though, but only because of a few difficulty spikes (that damn door.... brr...).
    - Arkham VR. Great story and memorable scenes, but... the first playthrough is 3 hours, and there's replay value only for collectionnists.
    - Rush, Sparc, Affected, all those have gameplays that can literally be summed up in one line and barely no content.
    - Most SteamVR games. Just open the SteamVR library.

Glad you finally decided to bring up examples, although that write up only serves to prove the point of CrashFu and myself. Arkham VR was described as a very short experience, but those of us who are Completionists (not Collectionists) definitely wanted to finish the Riddler challenges. Someone like you would describe it as 3 hours, when the reality is the game is closer to 5+ hours.

The rest of the titles you mentioned are not worth the topic.Affected is an 'experience' not an actual game; it's silly that you even listed it. I'm not going to bother going back and listing all the games where people have failed to include the real time it takes to engage in the games full objectives. Many of us have already lived it once, your denial doesn't alter that history.
    Trinity
    It's better than the zero examples you gave

Right, I didn't mention the SteamVR library, of course. Dude, you just have to open it and there will be plenty of indie games that directly fall in the category of "drop it at first play". Just because I didn't name them doesn't mean they don't exist. They do exist, which is why people are concerned about game length.

Also, I gave actual rules, which are worth much more than examples. "Short games exist, so people are concerned that the game may be too short". That's my point, and that's undeniable.
    And that's just pure f*cking logic, but it seems you aren't even able to do math.

And now that I mentioned names, you're just in utter denial yourself. Arkham VR and Affected are games. You don't get to define things to your convenience, and that's something you always fail to understand.
    And the other games? They don't fall in the argument just because they prove you wrong. Nice mentality.

Anyway, I'm done with you. You're not only obnoxious, you're also in absolute inability of questioning yourself, which is why it always gets hotter than it should whenever you're arguing (and you should have realized that it happens quite often). Have fun with others.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

edited March 22

And now that I mentioned names, you're just in utter denial yourself. Arkham VR and Affected are games. You don't get to define things to your convenience, and that's something you always fail to understand.
    And the other games? They don't fall in the argument just because they prove you wrong. Nice mentality.

I never denied that AkrhamVR was a game; re-read and try again. And there's nothing for me to deny since the topics where people badly judged game length do exist on this forum, and I played the games myself before giving my feedback. I don't recall you ever being part of those discussions, so your interjection here is a bit ineffective.

Anyway, I'm done with you. You're not only obnoxious, you're also in absolute inability of questioning yourself, which is why it always gets hotter than it should whenever you're arguing (and you should have realized that it happens quite often). Have fun with others.
    That doesn't really mean much coming from you. A lot of your time on the forum involves running around upvoting troll posts lol

As for arguments on the Internet... they happen often. I choose to participate actively whereas you choose to act as a cheerleader to a side. I don't necessarily consider one better than the other, nor more or less obnoxious.

Alright, back on topic!

And update was released, going to start a new playthrough:

Shadow Legend VR, Version 1.1.7
    -Fixed game failing to open
    -Improved scene transitions
    -Added level select functionality
    -Added ability to create multiple save profiles
    -Added spell casting to Goddess sword
    -Added check points between each final boss phase
    -Changed first half of final boss fight to include enemies (second half changes are planned)
    -Added belt crouch option
    -Re-organized book menus
    -Fixed issue that would corrupt save file when closing the game from inside a loading scene
    -Moved spawn point in burning courtyard forward
    -Equipment now auto-equips when interacting
    -Chapel Dungeon chains now pull in the metal rod

edited March 23
    Zenbane said:

-Chapel Dungeon chains now pull in the metal rod
    Awesome that little detail didn't seem to work for me at first (before that patch), but eventually I did get it working - causing me to thoroughly explore that dungeon looking for some switches or a hidden button I may have overlooked.
    Earned me something like 60+ minutes playtime, and Tarius refused to sell me any brain growing potion to help me out  :'(  

Just finished the game, 7 hours, 70 out of 73 runes (blew some too far away with my mini-cannon, my bad). Great game, and of course it would have been even better with more content. The game is technically one of the most impressive VR achievements I have experienced. 

Also had some fun changing weapons from one hand to the other behind my back - dunno why I did that, maybe just because I could - and it seems that many care a lot for doing such stuff these days  :D My arm is quite sore from the final battle - you really need perfect tracking there. 

I'm restarting it this week after the last major update. Can't wait!
    RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  :D

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

The game's today's Daily Deal - guess the tirekicking wanna-be knights just ran out of excuses for not participating  B)

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,867 Valuable Player
    10% off... pffffff
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,434
    Project 2501
    I'll wait until it's out of "Early Access" and they fixed all the bugs. I hear good things but people complain their are serious bugs.
    MowTin said:
    I'll wait until it's out of "Early Access" and they fixed all the bugs. I hear good things but people complain their are serious bugs.

Don't do it, man! I know you. You hate nice things lol
    MowTin said:
    I'll wait until it's out of "Early Access" and they fixed all the bugs. I hear good things but people complain their are serious bugs

Since the launch the game has been patched about 4 times, I haven't experienced any problems after the first or second patch. The game is beyond v. 1.0, it's not Early Access (unless you simply mean that it's a young game where unknown errors still may pop up from time to time)

Trinity
    Finally got the time to play Shadow Legend. I had a blast!

The graphics are wonderful, probably among the best I've seen in VR. I just wish the eyes of the NPCs weren't that fixed. Sometimes, the way they barely blink is creepy xD.
    I was also impressed with the voice acting. It's the first VR game where I feel the voices are believable (aside from one or two).

The gameplay? Probably the best of all for now! Finally a game with a lot of VR mechanics (instead of the usual one or two)! Climbing is great, the inventory system is great, the environment is rich and game is full of interactivity.
    Battles are cool, but really, I have an issue with those slow motions. A lot of VR games used that, and I'm always like "guys, I'm not retarded, let my enemies fight at full speed!!!!". Also, the hitbox sometimes feels off.

Overall, the only flaws are really minor (nothing that can't be fixed easily). Great job!
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

The game's on sale again, maybe more than 10% off? 

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    The game's on sale again, maybe more than 10% off? 

40%, temporarily!  There's a 5-hour flash sale going on, with some huge discounts on a lot of really good games (many of them on my personal wishlist :grimace:   Here's hoping I can still afford the Rift-S after I buy all these, lol)

Looks like Shadow Legend will still be 20% off until the 27th, after the flash sale ends.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.