cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you working on?

Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting my first sculpt, it was quite a while until I got around to making a sketchbook thread.  Sometimes I wanted to post an individual piece, but there really didn't seem to be a place to do that.  Even now, I don't usually post "in-progress" sketches that I may or may not get back to, and generally use finished/mostly finished sculpts in the sketchbook. 

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see what other people are working on once they've posted their "First Medium Sculpt", so here's a place to do that 🙂
527 REPLIES 527

Anonymous
Not applicable

P3nT4gR4m said:

Start of something new. No idea where this is going yet. Was just playing about with form and proportion but I kinda like the way it's turning out so I'm going to see where it takes me.

Ya, I like that.   Has a sense of weight to it, with the feet and forearms.  I get the sense that it sort of lumbers forward, stomping heavily, arms swinging on their own weight, almost taking exertion to lift, and dropping heavily when it strikes.  Menacing.  Maybe like an old movie monster or something, in the way it moves.   The stand and the face sort of conjure up something much more modern.

Anyhow, impressions.  Be interesting to see where you go with this.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Bit more work filling out the anatomy. I'm really digging this sculpt, just taking my time for a change and exploring my options. He's starting to feel like a superhero of some description with a mask and cyborg arms. Forearms at least, maybe the whole thing, still undecided...
xo5vehdq32vd.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitely moving the right direction.  Very much has a sense of character. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Thanks, mate. Yeah, I'm definitely feeling this little fella. Trying to think of a name for him. Shame "Hellboy" is already taken that'd suit him perfectly I think. Definitely a demonic little bastard.

gxg0aokz1a8m.jpg
ff6ywbbm1wk0.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure what you want to call him, I'll call him  SPIKE for now.  The S. might stand for Satanic, or maybe Steve, not sure about the rest of the acronym yet.  Whatever it is, he clearly has supernatural strength to be whirling that thing around over his head at Mach 4.  I figure he gets it going fast enough that he can fly like a helicopter, until he hits something.  Can't imagine that would be terribly easy to animate or anything.   Maybe flips it forward to do a bit of short range spiderman/batarang style rock climbing, which would explain the forearms.   Unclear if the weapon is some sort of supernatural ball and chain, that he has to carry constantly, or if its more of a symbolic choice, being a morning star.

Anyhow, chain looks good, points on the star look really sharp and geometrically planned.

Slightly mutant feel about him.  Has sort of a Bruce Lee build, ripped, minimal body fat.  The pecs, especially the distorted upper muscle band, are the only part I feel a bit hard to buy, maybe mutated or unusual development from swinging that thing around.  Obviously not a hyper-real thing, but does sort of jump out at as a bit unnatural when I look at him.   Not super-significant in the grand scheme of things.  Could just be that it's one of the identifiers of being a demonoid, since it lacks human frailties such as a constantly beating heart filled with emotion and all that other mortal nonsense

Regardless, he's pretty cool.  I dig the foot/forearm reverse tapering he's got going on.  Not sure why, just really find that stylism appealing.  Maybe amplifies the strength signifiers a bit, like here's a force to be reckoned with.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Got a name for him now courtesy of Seth Rutledge on FB - "Crimson Taint"
Did a quick render in cycles cos the Medium camera distortion was making it hard for me to read. I'm thinking the jeans will be Marvellous Designer so I'll need to start thinking about doing proper legs to hang them off. Still not exactly sure where I'm going with the forearms (especially the elbows) but I think he needs some "Shredder" blades running down the outside

ad5dz3t3bp1e.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
iypp0edd2m77.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really like the chain texture.  See he got all spiked out, I think that bolsters him, sorta bulks him out. Name is hilarious

Also FML.  Almost no time for art.  Hate the mandatory mini-games in life, just to keep the electricity flowing, and knowing that it's slowing down my skill set development.  Suppose I'll cheer from the sidelines for a while.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Aw mate, that's bad news. Hope your calendar clears up soon!

So I've been thinking about getting my teeth stuck into a heavy H/S project for a while now. The idea for the perfect sculpt popped in my head the other night. Plenty grid and angle work here but as a bonus I get to chuck in some organics to take the edge off. And my favourite - past it's sell by date - organics to boot. 

"ZHP" (working title) Can you guess what it is yet?  >:)
8b08mzm3zowx.jpg
me0bh97hue9q.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
ttpodgnieh4x.jpg