cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I've ALWAYS hated turn based video games. If I wanted to play a turn based game I'd do it properly with dice and pencil and paper  😮 😄

Pencil and paper doesn't have rag doll nazi killing. Silent Storm does. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant
I loved and completed XCOM:Enemy Within, but hated XCOM 2 because of the extremely low turn limit in too many mission. Became too random for me, and I shelved it. :angry:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I bought this turn-taking game (ok, turn-based combat then) July 6 2014 for $50, because I wanted to enjoy it during my summer vacation. I've completed 1 % of the game so far :blush: - but I feel I'm really close to starting the game up again  😄 (I know, it's kinda depressing/pathetic - I'll probably never get it done now - thank you VR!) 

https://youtu.be/Mea7Pa3rhJU

The sequel looks even more impressive, but no - I'm not buying it before I've finished the first game!  B)

https://youtu.be/bTWTFX8qzPI

I do believe that these may be the finest turn-taking games ever made. Maybe there's still hope for me - when I get a PS5 and if the console versions support 4K res.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP
Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 are both exceptional games.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I bought this turn-taking game (ok, turn-based combat then) July 6 2014 for $50, because I wanted to enjoy it during my summer vacation. I've completed 1 % of the game so far :blush: - but I feel I'm really close to starting the game up again  😄 (I know, it's kinda depressing/pathetic - I'll probably never get it done now - thank you VR!) 

https://youtu.be/Mea7Pa3rhJU

The sequel looks even more impressive, but no - I'm not buying it before I've finished the first game!  B)

https://youtu.be/bTWTFX8qzPI

I do believe that these may be the finest turn-taking games ever made. Maybe there's still hope for me - when I get a PS5 and if the console versions support 4K res.  

It's worth it if you like classic AD&D RPG's at all like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights. While this game isn't AD&D it's more like AD&D evolved. Movement and actions are not only limited by turns but also by action points. Being able to elementally affect the ground makes for some interesting tactical gameplay and the wide selection of classes makes the game a different experience based on your class makeup. Both of the DOS games were really well done (well after all the initial release bugs got worked out anyway) and remain two of my favorite RPG's of all time. I enjoyed the story for both and really looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

It's worth it if you like classic AD&D RPG's at all like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights. While this game isn't AD&D it's more like AD&D evolved. Movement and actions are not only limited by turns but also by action points. Being able to elementally affect the ground makes for some interesting tactical gameplay and the wide selection of classes makes the game a different experience based on your class makeup. Both of the DOS games were really well done (well after all the initial release bugs got worked out anyway) and remain two of my favorite RPG's of all time. I enjoyed the story for both and really looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes. 

I probably did complete slightly more than 1% of Divinity Original Sin, and yes it's really an awesome game. I've spent many hours on now old/classic RPGs, especially the Gothic games, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Planescape Torment etc. - but the original Divine Divinity (yes, not the best name ever  :D) was simply awesome (I did complete that game like 16 years ago, so sad when I finished it). This video is spot on:

https://youtu.be/A9PQnf0mMNA

https://youtu.be/_VQh7MQRjYM
Old reviews:
Gamespy. There are a lot of words that could be used to describe Divine Divinity. Among other things, the upcoming roleplaying game from Belgium-based developer Larian Studios is massive, ambitious and exciting. However, the more I think about it, I keep coming back to one word in particular: epic. Looking back on the history of roleplaying games, there are three series that stand out in particular -- Ultima, Diablo and Baldur's Gate. While not a clone of any one of those games, Divine Divinity contains many of the same elements from all three, and is set to combine them all into one huge roleplaying experience. And it truly appears to be an epic undertaking -- as project leader Swen Vincke told us, "You could play forever."

RPGDot. This game is fun. This game is addicting. What more needs to be said? Well, I suppose I should convince you its fun. Okay, I can do that. I've been playing nonstop in every spare moment I have since I tore off the packaging and installed this game. With fast-paced action and interesting quests that aren't your normal fed-ex types this game puts a fun little twist on everything. How can you not like a game that gives you quests to wash dishes, blow up supply trains, solve murder mysteries and poison wells? The game world is alive with political intrigue, shady underworld dealings, threats of war and everyday people who wonder if their crops will fail. The rich atmosphere of the game coupled with a living world work to make the game convincing in it's reality... One of the best things I saw in the game was where I was able to pay a street performer to recite some poetry. After a few verses a near-by shop owner came out and applauded the street performer and asked for an encore. This gave me the ample opportunity to sneak into the shop and steal whatever I could lay my hands on before the shop owner strolled back in. This is what I call fun. The interactivity in the game is a big boost to the fun you'll have in this game. Where else can you make a cozy haystack to sleep on? Want to make honey or even your own potions? It's possible. You can even stack rocks if you really want to. Want to watch a cat attack a chicken? You can even do that [...] Divine Divinity is another gem. Maybe it's nothing for the casual roleplayer, since with the 300+ quests and the 20.000+ screens you can roam quite freely it is something that will take away a lot of time from you... It kept me from playing Morrowind lately, and you know what that means in my case… 

PC Gamer. Divine Divinity, the doctor said, so that is what I played - and played - and played some more.

PC Zone. While you can find many of the elements of Divine Divinity in other RPGs, it's rare to find one that combines them as successfully and surprisingly as this one does... It seems the future of role-playing games will inevitably move towards the Morrowinds and Neverwinter Nights of this world, but Divine Divinity is living proof that, when tailored by the right hands, isometric RPGs can still be as captivating and challenging as their 3D counterparts....The list of possible character profiles is virtually endless... Detail is something Divine Divinity thrives on. As soon as you step outside you’re hit by it... As for the music, never before in an isometric RPG has the score been so atmospheric that its raised my blood pressure to dangerously high levels...An impressive RPG.

Not sure you need a big TV for this game though...  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst it isn't turn-based, one of the best RPG games I've ever played was Dungeon Siege. It was SO GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yxri4iUVk

The two sequels were also great too.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

I probably did complete slightly more than 1% of Divinity Original Sin, and yes it's really an awesome game. I've spent many hours on now old/classic RPGs, especially the Gothic games, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Planescape Torment etc. - but the original Divine Divinity (yes, not the best name ever  :D) was simply awesome (I did complete that game like 16 years ago, so sad when I finished it). This video is spot on:
Not sure you need a big TV for this game though...  😉

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if you played the old Divine Divinity games so I mentioned something more popular. Divine Divinity was great. Divinity 2 was actually a lot like Gothic (another series I really love). I thought Beyond Divinity sucked though and seemed like they weren't sure what to do with it.

But yea, Larian has become one of my favorite studios.

Speaking of Gothic, I've been meaning to give Elex a go as I've heard good things.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

Whilst it isn't turn-based, one of the best RPG games I've ever played was Dungeon Siege. It was SO GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yxri4iUVk

The two sequels were also great too.

I only liked the first dungeon siege myself but yea it was a classic. I love a good action rpg and still play a few. Path of Exile and Grim Dawn being my favorites at the moment. I have too many games and not enough time these days. First world problems lol. Both of those games do Diablo better than Diablo 3 imo.

*edit* Guess I'll add some trailers
Grim Dawn latest expansion.

Path of Exile latest expansion trailer -

Wildt
Consultant
Speaking of turn based games, I can also recommend these Shadowrun games:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb