The Unusual Suspects - overlooked VR games and apps you really need to try! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Unusual Suspects - overlooked VR games and apps you really need to try!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,308 Valuable Player
edited April 19 in Games and Apps
The Oculus Store - and Steam - have many games and apps with few ratings and reviews. And currently there's so much VR content that I believe most of us haven't got enough time to try it all.

This thread is dedicated to the potentially awesome games or apps that may have been lost/forgotten or overlooked. 

Some examples could be games with fewer than 20 ratings:

Final Assault - 16 ratings - average 96%

Bow to Blood - 3 ratings - average 100%

Actually these games are bad examples, because I haven't tried them. This thread is better suited to tell about a totally awesome VR game that you think other persons should know about. Games that so far have gotten little or no attention in this forum. 

My first real contribution to this thread could be Marble Land, it's cheap, has full Touch support, it's really a great puzzle game - great graphics and performance (even using high levels of super sampling) - and it has an awesome 96 % rating based on 13 ratings:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1219205288123671/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    Marble Land is a wonderful  experience !
    Be good, die great !
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Operation Warcade VR. It is Operation Wolf style arcade game with a twist. There are so called "immersive points" where you get in middle of action . Took me about 10 hours to get to last level open.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,585 Valuable Player
    Amygdala is a great horror game and is as cheap as chips. Can't link to it cos I'm on the bus!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    Marble Land is a wonderful  experience !
    It reminds me of a Xbox 360 game called Marble Blast. 

However at $16.99CDN it’s not worth it. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,308 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Amygdala is a great horror game and is as cheap as chips. Can't link to it cos I'm on the bus!

It does look great (for the brave dudes who enjoy VR horror :D ) - seems only to be available on Steam, and only to support Rift:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/450110/Amigdala/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Yup, it's quite good. All done by one developer too. It's quite buggy in places though but easily worth a fiver.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited April 14
    Despite its minor flaws, from time to time I'm enjoying BlasterCell - it only costs $4 (if I remember correctly):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2016917465051111/

Art3mis
    Deisim VR. God simulator where you create your own world and see it living. Only one dev, but gets new content regulary.
    You can either play in sandbox mode with full powers open or normal game mode with slowly increasing your powers.

edited April 14
    saami81 said:
    Deisim VR. God simulator where you create your own world and see it living. Only one dev, but gets new content regulary.
    You can either play in sandbox mode with full powers open or normal game mode with slowly increasing your powers.

Nice find, just bought it, it's only 8 bucks even though Early Access - did see the game in the Store some time ago, but never got back to it. In the Store it has a 92% average rating based on 13 ratings - but on Steam it's 9/10 based on 177 ratings. Some links and the trailer:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1101455296589556/?locale=en_US

https://store.steampowered.com/app/525680/Deisim/

saami81 said:

I'm not going near that. I'm practically a god in real life, I want to do something DIFFERENT when I'm in VR  B)

snowdog said:
    saami81 said:

I'm not going near that. I'm practically a god in real life, I want to do something DIFFERENT when I'm in VR  B)

But it works perfectly with ss 2.0 in Ultra quality, you just don't get that in the real world  :D Feels like a time machine back to my Amiga 500 and Populous in 1989 :blush:

BTW, it's just a 82MB download, and I fully get that you never - ever - pay $1 for 10MB these days!  B)

Art3mis
    Nor sure if this fall in category, but EmuVR is great "retrosimulator" http://www.emuvr.net/

edited April 19

Forgot to mention Luna - one of my favorite VR games. The game's simply amazing, and it's probably beyond anything you've ever tried before. Currently it's rated 92% based on 22 ratings in the Oculus Store and I can't see the price since I've bought the game. Get it here: 

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1184973554901426/?locale=en_US

The game performs at a solid 90+ fps even when forcing super sampling 2.0, if you got a GTX 1080 or better (maybe also a GTX 1070).

In some way Luna illustrates a great problem of VR games: awesome titles are so easily overlooked and forgotten. Luna is great for both kids and adults - although kids may need some help here and there. Touch is fully supported. 

edited April 19

Must...resist...must...resist... :D

I'm doing my best not to buy any more games until the inevitable Summer Sales when I should have a few quid going spare.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    edited April 19
    RuneSR2 said:
    Dammit I JUST bought Blastercell yesterday. LOL

That said thanks for letting me us know about Marble Land. Gonna buy it and starting playing with my balls. 

Wait.......
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,029
    Wintermute
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    saami81 said:

Nice find, just bought it, it's only 8 bucks even though Early Access - did see the game in the Store some time ago, but never got back to it. In the Store it has a 92% average rating based on 13 ratings - but on Steam it's 9/10 based on 177 ratings. Some links and the trailer:

Looks like fun.  When I try to buy it from the Oculus Store it warns me this game is Room Scale and requires 3 x sensors or 2x diagonal.  Does it play ok with normal 2x sensors setup, sitting?  Thanks guys.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,849 Valuable Player
    if you like physics based puzzlers, you should also check out Gravity Lab
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    TomCgcmfc said:
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    saami81 said:

Looks like fun.  When I try to buy it from the Oculus Store it warns me this game is Room Scale and requires 3 x sensors or 2x diagonal.  Does it play ok with normal 2x sensors setup, sitting?  Thanks guys.

I have not tried it with 2 sensors (I have 3), but since the world often is all around you, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 sensors (or more) are a great advantage. Of course you could just try it, and get a refund if the tracking is insufficient. 

edited April 20
    Voxel Fly has been getting many great reviews, on the Rift currently it has a 92% average rating based on 17 ratings. Now this isn't really a Rift game, it's also available for phones (Google Play / App Store) and it's available for the Go. Voxel Fly is far from the quality of real PCVR games, but it means that the game performs awesome when cranking up super sampling to 2.0 and even when further adding for example 4xAA (on a GTX 1080). But using high levels of ss I didn't see any effect of further enhancing AA - so I reduced AA to 2xAA (8xAA may give problems when using ss 2.0 probably due to mem issues). This way the Voxel Fly will look it's best on the Rift - super sampling makes everything super-sharp and super-crisp  B) BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if owners of GTX 970 class video cards can enjoy Voxel Fly using no AA and super sampling between 1.5 and 2.0:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1633591910075916

If Voxel Fly was a $20 game in the Oculus Store, I'd probably rate it 2/5. But because the game only costs $3, I'd be happy to award it 5/5. There are different options for controlling the ships, I preferred HMD-directed control (tilt, which is default, caused me to crash several times - maybe I'm prone to HMD-directed controls after playing a lot of Anshar Wars 2 :blush: ). Nevertheless Voxel Fly is a somewhat unique experience and can be great fun for shorter periods of time. Should work great sitting on a non-swivel chair using just 2 sensors. The are many game modes (shooting, exploring, defending etc.) and the dev seems focused on expanding the game even further.

In-game colors may reduce any real world needs for antidepressants  ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,029
    Wintermute
    TomCgcmfc said:
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    saami81 said:

Hello, I'm the solo dev making this game :)
    You should be fine with 2 sensors there is a way to rotate the world with the controllers. You just need to enable it in the options. Let me know if you have issues i will be glad to help.
    Thanks Myron.  I just bought it from the Oculus Store and it works fine with 2x sensors once you figure out how to move around and rotate using the controllers.  Probably a bit easier/faster standing with 3x sensors.  I've ordered a 3rd sensor anyway since it looks like I'm going to stick with my CV1 for quite some time. 

Fun god simulator.  Thanks for developing and supporting it so well.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    edited April 28
    I bought Bow to Blood yesterday, and although it was nice, it felt way too much like a PSVR port - definitely not made for the Rift. You do have Touch support, but the controllers are shown with laser lines originating from each (you have no hands or fingers) - made me feel like I was holding some crude PSVR controllers instead of Touch  :#  Graphics were much like Windlands, so no textures - also indicating a console origin. There were no video settings, but why would anyone need that if we're all using a PS4  :D ;) Moss showed how awesome ports are done, Bow to Blood failed to impress me. 
    Performance was awesome though - I got solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0, but I really didn't find the game very interesting. My backlog is too full of games I'd rather play, I opted for a refund. 

Also a worrying thought - maybe Go and Quest might fuel a "race to the bottom". Like Voxel Fly, a new game VSpeed has just launched in the Store, and it works on both Go and Rift. But this is again so far from the potential of the Rift - maybe it's a little fun game, but if many upcoming Rift games get the same level of polys (and graphics) that Go or Quest can handle, it'll definitely be an extremely sad thing, at least to me. Maybe we really need the Index to push VR forward, not backward. 

(Note, I'm not recommending VSpeed, the video is just to show the low-end graphics). 

• LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 313
    Trinity
    ViSP - Virtual Space Port

Available on Steam only for Rift, Vive and WMR: 
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/800290/ViSP__Virtual_Space_Port/ 

Only 11 reviews on Steam - all positive. Won several awards. Developed by 2 game design students.

Bulid a space station from building blocks, expand it and defend it against attacks.
    Simple game design but very immersive, with a clever control concept and quite challenging on higher levels.
    I love it. 

Kin needs some attention - it's probably my favorite platformer of all time (thanks to VR immersion) - I don't care about Mario  :D 

The bosses are simply awesome (ok, not Dark Souls 3 awesome, but you get the idea):

Kin is a must-have for the Rift, if you have a GTX 1080 or better, max out all video settings and force super sampling 2.0 - and you'll still get perfect 90+ fps. Kin supports Touch (works as a gamepad). 

Get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1170137896430023

edited June 10
    Seems like somebody copied the concept behind this thread  :#  :D  

"Alex, Ruuts and Wes each submit a couple of games that they feel deserve more recognition.

1. Statik 1:21
    2. Polybius 7:21
    3. Downward Spiral: Horus Station 17:07
    4. Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown 24:17
    5. Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher 29:54
    6. Conductor 38:03"

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    I feel like not enough people have discovered Loco Dojo.

It's a party game.  A really well-made party game with a really nice art style, and very creative games at that.  All very motion-control focused   (in fact, this is something I revisited specifically to test out the Rift-S' tracking)

Even if you can't find people to play against, it does offer a single-player challenge mode, where you just go from game to game and try to score as high as possible, cumulatively   (Good way to learn the various games and practice before actually taking other players on)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.