Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming? - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,160 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm back on Silent Storm. Awesome tactical turn based combat game. It's in the same family as games like Xcom (the original), Fallout Tactics, etc.
    Play as allies or axis in WW2 with a squad of 6 soldiers. Detailed skill trees, destructible environments, rag doll physics, etc.

(yes, there's nazi power armor later in the game. You can capture them for your own squad)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,661 Valuable Player
    Dear lawd, @kojack. I love turned based games! Lords of Magic, original Fallout, Lords of the Realm, etc. And I spent quite a few years addicted to the Axis n Allies Board Game. So Silent Storm sounds like a must-buy for me.

Damn this thread!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    It came out in 2003, but it's still damn cool.
    Silent Storm Gold Edition is currently $1.99us on GOG (79% sale on now).

(I don't normally have my medic carrying 3 rifles, this was from the end of a mission, I was looting everything I could carry)

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,380 Valuable Player
    I love the modern XCOM remakes, as far as turn-based games go. I’ve been playing a fair bit of XCOM 2 lately. It does a great job of providing a lot of tactical choice and depth, while also streamlining some of the excess fiddling that some older games suffered from. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,274
    Wintermute
    nalex66 said:
    I love the modern XCOM remakes, as far as turn-based games go. I’ve been playing a fair bit of XCOM 2 lately. It does a great job of providing a lot of tactical choice and depth, while also streamlining some of the excess fiddling that some older games suffered from. 
    Yea I love turn based tactical games. Huge fan of Xcom myself. I've got a wish list full of similar games that I haven't gotten to yet or are upcoming. Here's the more interesting ones:

End State, Gears Tactics, Phantom Doctrine, Phoenix Point, Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus, Wasteland 3, Valkyrie Chronicles 4, and Xenonauts 2

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,398 Valuable Player
    edited April 19
    I've ALWAYS hated turn based video games. If I wanted to play a turn based game I'd do it properly with dice and pencil and paper  :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,839 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I've ALWAYS hated turn based video games. If I wanted to play a turn based game I'd do it properly with dice and pencil and paper  :o :D
    Ditto 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,851 Valuable Player
    I love XCOM games, but I'm currently playing the game "The Last Of Use" on PlayStation. I'm really enjoying this game and I'm starting to get used to PlayStation controllers for when the PlayStation 5 arrives. I suck at aiming with the PS controller, but I find the rest of the controller a lot more relaxing then using a keyboard.
    snowdog said:
    Pencil and paper doesn't have rag doll nazi killing. Silent Storm does. :)

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,795 Valuable Player
    I loved and completed XCOM:Enemy Within, but hated XCOM 2 because of the extremely low turn limit in too many mission. Became too random for me, and I shelved it. :angry:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,991 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    I bought this turn-taking game (ok, turn-based combat then) July 6 2014 for $50, because I wanted to enjoy it during my summer vacation. I've completed 1 % of the game so far :blush: - but I feel I'm really close to starting the game up again  :D (I know, it's kinda depressing/pathetic - I'll probably never get it done now - thank you VR!) 

The sequel looks even more impressive, but no - I'm not buying it before I've finished the first game!  B)

I do believe that these may be the finest turn-taking games ever made. Maybe there's still hope for me - when I get a PS5 and if the console versions support 4K res.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 are both exceptional games.
    Wintermute
    edited April 20
    RuneSR2 said:
    I bought this turn-taking game (ok, turn-based combat then) July 6 2014 for $50, because I wanted to enjoy it during my summer vacation. I've completed 1 % of the game so far :blush: - but I feel I'm really close to starting the game up again  :D (I know, it's kinda depressing/pathetic - I'll probably never get it done now - thank you VR!) 

The sequel looks even more impressive, but no - I'm not buying it before I've finished the first game!  B)

I do believe that these may be the finest turn-taking games ever made. Maybe there's still hope for me - when I get a PS5 and if the console versions support 4K res.  
    It's worth it if you like classic AD&D RPG's at all like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights. While this game isn't AD&D it's more like AD&D evolved. Movement and actions are not only limited by turns but also by action points. Being able to elementally affect the ground makes for some interesting tactical gameplay and the wide selection of classes makes the game a different experience based on your class makeup. Both of the DOS games were really well done (well after all the initial release bugs got worked out anyway) and remain two of my favorite RPG's of all time. I enjoyed the story for both and really looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes.
    edited April 20
    pyroth309 said:

It's worth it if you like classic AD&D RPG's at all like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights. While this game isn't AD&D it's more like AD&D evolved. Movement and actions are not only limited by turns but also by action points. Being able to elementally affect the ground makes for some interesting tactical gameplay and the wide selection of classes makes the game a different experience based on your class makeup. Both of the DOS games were really well done (well after all the initial release bugs got worked out anyway) and remain two of my favorite RPG's of all time. I enjoyed the story for both and really looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes. 

I probably did complete slightly more than 1% of Divinity Original Sin, and yes it's really an awesome game. I've spent many hours on now old/classic RPGs, especially the Gothic games, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Planescape Torment etc. - but the original Divine Divinity (yes, not the best name ever  :D) was simply awesome (I did complete that game like 16 years ago, so sad when I finished it). This video is spot on:

Old reviews:
    Gamespy. There are a lot of words that could be used to describe Divine Divinity. Among other things, the upcoming roleplaying game from Belgium-based developer Larian Studios is massive, ambitious and exciting. However, the more I think about it, I keep coming back to one word in particular: epic. Looking back on the history of roleplaying games, there are three series that stand out in particular -- Ultima, Diablo and Baldur's Gate. While not a clone of any one of those games, Divine Divinity contains many of the same elements from all three, and is set to combine them all into one huge roleplaying experience. And it truly appears to be an epic undertaking -- as project leader Swen Vincke told us, "You could play forever."

RPGDot. This game is fun. This game is addicting. What more needs to be said? Well, I suppose I should convince you its fun. Okay, I can do that. I've been playing nonstop in every spare moment I have since I tore off the packaging and installed this game. With fast-paced action and interesting quests that aren't your normal fed-ex types this game puts a fun little twist on everything. How can you not like a game that gives you quests to wash dishes, blow up supply trains, solve murder mysteries and poison wells? The game world is alive with political intrigue, shady underworld dealings, threats of war and everyday people who wonder if their crops will fail. The rich atmosphere of the game coupled with a living world work to make the game convincing in it's reality... One of the best things I saw in the game was where I was able to pay a street performer to recite some poetry. After a few verses a near-by shop owner came out and applauded the street performer and asked for an encore. This gave me the ample opportunity to sneak into the shop and steal whatever I could lay my hands on before the shop owner strolled back in. This is what I call fun. The interactivity in the game is a big boost to the fun you'll have in this game. Where else can you make a cozy haystack to sleep on? Want to make honey or even your own potions? It's possible. You can even stack rocks if you really want to. Want to watch a cat attack a chicken? You can even do that [...] Divine Divinity is another gem. Maybe it's nothing for the casual roleplayer, since with the 300+ quests and the 20.000+ screens you can roam quite freely it is something that will take away a lot of time from you... It kept me from playing Morrowind lately, and you know what that means in my case… 

PC Gamer. Divine Divinity, the doctor said, so that is what I played - and played - and played some more.

PC Zone. While you can find many of the elements of Divine Divinity in other RPGs, it's rare to find one that combines them as successfully and surprisingly as this one does... It seems the future of role-playing games will inevitably move towards the Morrowinds and Neverwinter Nights of this world, but Divine Divinity is living proof that, when tailored by the right hands, isometric RPGs can still be as captivating and challenging as their 3D counterparts....The list of possible character profiles is virtually endless... Detail is something Divine Divinity thrives on. As soon as you step outside you’re hit by it... As for the music, never before in an isometric RPG has the score been so atmospheric that its raised my blood pressure to dangerously high levels...An impressive RPG.

Not sure you need a big TV for this game though...  ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited April 20
    Whilst it isn't turn-based, one of the best RPG games I've ever played was Dungeon Siege. It was SO GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yxri4iUVk

The two sequels were also great too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Wintermute
    edited April 20
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

I probably did complete slightly more than 1% of Divinity Original Sin, and yes it's really an awesome game. I've spent many hours on now old/classic RPGs, especially the Gothic games, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Planescape Torment etc. - but the original Divine Divinity (yes, not the best name ever  :D) was simply awesome (I did complete that game like 16 years ago, so sad when I finished it). This video is spot on:
    Not sure you need a big TV for this game though...  ;)
    Ah ok, I wasn't sure if you played the old Divine Divinity games so I mentioned something more popular. Divine Divinity was great. Divinity 2 was actually a lot like Gothic (another series I really love). I thought Beyond Divinity sucked though and seemed like they weren't sure what to do with it.

But yea, Larian has become one of my favorite studios.

Speaking of Gothic, I've been meaning to give Elex a go as I've heard good things.

Wintermute
    edited April 20
    snowdog said:
    Whilst it isn't turn-based, one of the best RPG games I've ever played was Dungeon Siege. It was SO GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yxri4iUVk

The two sequels were also great too.
    I only liked the first dungeon siege myself but yea it was a classic. I love a good action rpg and still play a few. Path of Exile and Grim Dawn being my favorites at the moment. I have too many games and not enough time these days. First world problems lol. Both of those games do Diablo better than Diablo 3 imo.

*edit* Guess I'll add some trailers
    Grim Dawn latest expansion.

Path of Exile latest expansion trailer -

snowdog said:

But you can play RPG games with pen and paper! That's the original way that they were played. So... why do you like RPG games on a PC? lol

I actually love Dungeon Siege. I still have the original Box, as I bought mine back when stores like Best Buy still sold physical copies of PC Games. I not only beat the single player campaign, but I used to host online multiplayer sessions for the better part of the year. Dungeon Siege had one of the best and most addicting methods of Character Skill Progression in any RPG, imo.
    Wintermute
    edited April 20
    Wildt said:
    Speaking of turn based games, I can also recommend these Shadowrun games:
    I bought those on a Steam sale and have yet to try them. Good to know they're actually good. I grabbed them after enjoying what Harebrained Schemes did with Battletech. I'm a huge Battletech/Mechwarrior fan.
    Zenbane said:
    snowdog said:

But you can play RPG games with pen and paper! That's the original way that they were played. So... why do you like RPG games on a PC? lol

I actually love Dungeon Siege. I still have the original Box, as I bought mine back when stores like Best Buy still sold physical copies of PC Games. I not only beat the single player campaign, but I used to host online multiplayer sessions for the better part of the year. Dungeon Siege had one of the best and most addicting methods of Character Skill Progression in any RPG, imo.

I already said that if I wanted to play a turn-based game I'd do it the old fashioned way!  B)

edited April 20
    snowdog said:
    I already said that if I wanted to play a turn-based game I'd do it the old fashioned way!

Yeah I know, so I'm asking why you don't apply that rule to RPG's? Pen and Paper was made for RPG's first, not turn-based games.
    ;)

In turn-based strategy games, each character's turn remains fairly constant due to the action point system. in a Pen and Paper RPG, turns happen at random with each encounter based on Saving Throws. Turn-based strategy games and Pen/Paper RPG's are not the same.

So if you won't play a turn-based "strategy" game on a computer because Pen/Paper is an option, then why play a "role playing" game on a Computer, since Pen/Paper is an option?
    Because the whole point of playing these things on a computer is to speed things up. B)

edited April 20
    snowdog said:
    Because the whole point of playing these things on a computer is to speed things up.

There's a word for that in PC Gaming, that's called "twitch." Twitch gaming involves memorizing patterns and responding quickly. A PC plays far more roles than to merely "speed things up." I mean, you're saying that on a Virtual Reality forum which should be a big clue! The point of the PC is to create an increased sense of immersion and presence, beyond what a mere mobile platform can provide (for example).

The role of a PC is not limited to just making what happens "on screen" take place quickly (twitch).

Turn-based strategy games still happen much faster than what takes place in real life, so you are technically correct in the speed things up comment. Surely, winning an entire War in a turn-based strategy game happens much more quickly than winning that same War in real life!
    :D

The point of a turn-based strategy game is to slow down tactics and combat enough so that the Player isn't just relying on twitch-based tactics, and is instead being able to think about things long enough to make more strategic moves. Similar to playing a game of Chess vs Tic-Tac-Toe.

It's similar to the difference between a Shooter and a Puzzle/Adventure game. When I hear someone say, "I hate puzzle games" or "I hate turn-based strategy games," all I hear is them saying, "I hate being forced to think hard."
    lol
    I hate being forced to think hard.

:D 

snowdog said:
    I hate being forced to think hard.

Yeah that to me is the more honest thing. And it does make sense because for many people, they feel that there's enough sheit in the world to think about, and the last thing that they want to do when they load up a video game is to be forced to think hard again as a form of entertainment.

I can relate to that in the way I prefer to choose my VR Software. I work standing up for hours (I write software for a living, but I'm one of those who does it while standing 90% of the time. I hate sitting at a desk).

So when I finally load up something in VR, I want to sit down. Granted, I still enjoy physical VR titles (Sprint Vector, Creed Boxing, Beat Saber, etc), but I have to really get in to the mood for that. And it depends on how long I was standing throughout the day.

Most of my gaming life has been divided up fairly evenly:
    • 50% towards twitch-gaming: fast-paced RPGs, shooters, real-time strategy.
    • 50% towards methodical gaming: puzzle, adventure, turn-based.
    <3
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,380 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    I loved and completed XCOM:Enemy Within, but hated XCOM 2 because of the extremely low turn limit in too many mission. Became too random for me, and I shelved it. :angry:
    The War of the Chosen expansion improved on that; you see more mission variety and a lot fewer missions with timers. There are also several mods on Steam Workshop that remove or extend the timers.

I picked up Divinity:OS and a Shadowrun game a few years ago, but haven’t gotten around to playing them yet. I’ve also got Battletech on my wish list, and I’m sure I’ll eventually add it to my backlog when it’s on sale. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited May 4
    RuneSR2 said:
    This new trailer does look interesting ... must ... resist...

It may be my last hope for pancake gaming - it just went gold, specs and more:

"Over the past year, we’ve had the best time getting hyped up for the game’s launch on May 14. From our announcement trailer set to the sounds of Andrew W.K., to Danny Brown’s Open World escapade – ain’t it funny how it happens? Between our hands-on events around the globe, our reveal of cheat codes making a big comeback, and so much more, it’s clear the fun is just getting started, with less than a month to go before our hot pink global takeover.
    As we prepare for the insanity, we put together a handy guide with some important details that should get you up to speed for launch.

GRAPHICS AND FPS
    On PlayStation 4 RAGE 2 runs at 1080p with a framerate cap of 30 FPS, and on Xbox One it runs at 900p with a framerate cap of 30 FPS. We focused on speed, so on Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro that cap is raised to 60 FPS, and the game runs at 1080p on both platforms. PC users can run at any resolution their system supports, complete with uncapped framerates.

PC RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
    • Memory: 8GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

PC MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
    • Memory: 8GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

ADDITIONAL VISUAL FEATURES

• FOV Slider (50 to 120 degrees)
    • Show HUD (on/off)
    • Reticle Style (default/simple/none)
    • Motion Blur (on/off)
    • Depth of Field (on/off)
    • Ultra-wide (21:9) and Super Ultra-wide (32:9) display support (PC)

We can’t wait to see you in the wastelands of RAGE 2 when the game launches globally on May 14!"