cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AR in Education to be worth $5.3bn by 2023

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
For any other developers out there, now is a good time to start honing those AR/VR skills! Also note that the "cost of entry" is a main barrier that has prevented the Education sector, and many others, from prospering from AR/VR. But with prices of headsets continuing to drop for all-inclusive experiences (e.g. Rift-S), we can finally start to see some headway in the profit arena.

“AR and VR educational applications shift the learning process from passive to active, allowing students to interact with content and practice their knowledge in real-time conditions,” said Eleftheria Kouri, Research Analyst at ABI Research. “Learning by experience leads to better understanding, enhances knowledge recall, and strengthens retention. Immersive and interactive experiences stimulate student’s motivation and increase their engagement level, which are fundamental factors for achieving learning goals.”

According to the company, funding is one of the primary barriers for massive adoption of AR/VR solutions within educational systems, due to the high cost of headsets along with the limited financial resources in many schools. Mobile device-based solutions are a cost-efficient option due to the existing large install base, although fully immersive experiences aren’t possible. Head-mounted experiences provide the most immersive experience possible but also can be challenging when it comes to price and implementation.

Average Selling Prices (ASPs) both for AR glasses are expected to significantly decrease in the next few years, reaching US$733 for monocular and US$347 for binocular by 2023, which will help bring more AR to space. VR does win out with device costs, though, with standalone headsets trending down toward US$200 ASP by 2023 and mobile-based VR housings far less. Ease of setup and use with standalone devices make it a favorite for educational purposes.

Full article:
https://www.virtualperceptions.com/ar-education-2023-190417/

9 REPLIES 9

As well as being great tool for education, I wonder how contact with AR/VR in schools/collages will encourage use at home.

I remember my first contact with an Apple IIe at college and thinking maybe I should be doing more than playing games on the Spectrum.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I can totally see why. Stuff like history, a subject which when you think about it is fascinating, can actually be a bit dry when just studying from a book.
but if you could experience some historic events in VR i imagine it would be way more captivating and also stick a lot better. (examples already exist which highlight this)

the same is true for science and all sorts really..........
this is where mobile VR will really shine. the main issue is, in the UK at least i dunno about elsewhere, but most schools in the uk struggle to afford books to study from, so i dont see them affording many headsets.

then you will get vandalism and theft of them.... so the danger here is the haves and have nots, as well as the post code lottery of which school your kid ends up in will get even bigger...

(but that is a problem for the education system to solve and not VR companies)

Thankfully for us here, we are all in the "haves" camp I
imagine.... am pretty sure all of us here if school sent a letter home
advising some of the curriculum was going to be in VR and we should get a
GO or equivalent for our kids homework, we could find a way to stretch to it.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

inovator
Consultant
Funny you mention ar Facebook is investing quite a bit into it. Taken from article:Facebook is making big changes behind closed doors, according to a new report, by restructuring its augmented reality glasses division and moving those employees into a newly launched standalone team dedicated specifically to the product. These employees were moved from the company’s Facebook Reality Labs to the new product team, where they’re reportedly working on multiple AR products.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
VR is going to be big in everthing, medical, education, mathmatics, the list is endless to the possibilites of what VR can add to things.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OmegaM4N said:

VR is going to be big in everthing, medical, education, mathmatics, the list is endless to the possibilites of what VR can add to things.

AR and VR will be for sure once it starts getting the software needed in place and we get the hardware a bit more mature for sure:)

AR more than VR will take over though as AR doesn't need the full box setup like VR needs to make it work - but some day all glasses wearers will just be their "cell phone" of the future. If you need them or not - it just will correct the lenses as needed if you do:)

Nekto2
Superstar
AR in Education to be worth $5.3bn by 2023
Are you really hope to get at least a million from this amount? 😉
That is for whole world with a 10.000 developers and schools or more.
the limited financial resources in many schools
If they can't afford even headsets then they will not pay you a million more 🙂
But....
1) they could sponsor software development and team up with VR arcades to run them. And Spring Board could distribute content and get payments ... from school to let children in for free with special school ID. Then sending edu/game/exam scores to that school after person will complete educational course with tests.

2) it will be good for companies with very expensive or dangerous machinery. So person will learn it in VR before he will start to use real one ( an he will not break a real machine or hurt itself with electricity or fireburn ).

3) and you could make a car driving educational/testing tool with addition of real wheel an pedals. Also software will check that you are looking at road signs and back mirrors 😉

But .... some people are not able to use VR for more then 15 minutes yet. So it will be alternative education version for some of the people
(still you need a course of how to use VR for more minutes with advices like "do not forget to close your eyes while turning or close 1 of your eyes :lol: ).

ps. there is Minecraft-education edition. So nothing stops from making Lone Echo education or VR chat/Sansar for education. :lol: That will ease a lot new content creation. You need a test/exam addon/plugin and any game could be base for educational course.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Pink Floyd, after DECADES of telling me that we don't need no education I've seen, via the official Oculus forum, that in the not too distant future that education might be fun.

This means that your album, Pink Floyd The Wall, as well as the feature film of the same name, is incorrect. There should be a brick missing from The Wall. If you don't IMMEDIATELY correct this media I'll be sending you a rather large turd in a box forthwith.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Education was always fun IME VR will just make it more so. 
PS double negative.... Just sayin'
:wink:
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Camor1988
Honored Guest

As we know that education is one of the important parts for every student who wants to clear any examination with the help of writing services. Now it is easier to choose the https://essaysrescue.com/ platform which provides the reviews of writing content for best quality of work always.