It's all about the glass! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

It's all about the glass!

lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 245
Nexus 6
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
Windows 10  64bit Professional

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,502 Valuable Player
    The EX version of the system works very well with a much better FOV than the Pimax 8K:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,915 Valuable Player
    OMG that looks awful!  LMAO!!!!!!!!!
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,573 Valuable Player
    But how does it perform?
    WAAAGH!
    Automotive and Aviation industries have purchased a number, and the three versions of their systems I have used are very good vis/sim platforms - not really consumer fodder though.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,850
    Project 2501
    They are around 5000 dollars. For me it's like it doesn't exist
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,266 Valuable Player
    edited April 19
    kevinw729 said:
    The EX version of the system works very well with a much better FOV than the Pimax 8K:

Where do you get these flight sim chairs from?
    RedRizla said:
    Where do you get these flight sim chairs from?

Just the commercial variant of the Play Seat platform:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,292 Volunteer Moderator
    My first thought seeing that Play Seat photo: they have a Saitek X52 throttle on the right when it should be on the left.
    (I guess they watched the Speed Racer movie, which does the same, but they at least turn it backwards which makes it about 10% less annoying to use with the wrong hand)
    The CH Products throttle quadrant on the left could easily work on the right, it's ambidextrous, so the Saitek throttle could go on the left where it belongs.

Yes, I'm picky. :)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 432
    Trinity
    kojack said:

It looks like he strapped a graphics card to his face.

Damn, the new redesign for the Borg for Star Trek Discovery is looking somewhat cheap.
    edited April 20
    kojack said:
    Yes, I'm picky. :)

That's more than just picky!  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    One of my hobbies is spotting consumer gaming hardware in scifi movies/tv. Plus I have an X52 in my collection of input devices, so I have years of experience with it. There's no way you can use most of the controls of that throttle conveniently if it's on the right.

edited April 20
    Interesting - off topic - @kojack I am doing some research into consumer motion seat systems that have found their way into commercial entertainment application, do you know anything about those kind of systems - such as this:

[Edit: other than using Right-Click that is...]

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,790 Valuable Player
    Tried the XTAL a couple of times at the Hannover Messe - nice image but the hand tracking wasn't up to scratch.  And yes, it's huge!

@kevinw729 what is the EX?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    Tried the XTAL a couple of times at the Hannover Messe - nice image but the hand tracking wasn't up to scratch.  And yes, it's huge!

Far as I knew - they don't have their own tracking - they use 3rd party tracking from Valve. Maybe this was 1st version of their XTAL headset? There has been at least 3 public versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFBUvfpQJ8

Though it makes me sad if StarVR One was better than XTAL and was cheaper by 2k$ xDD DARN IT!!! LOL
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,746 Valuable Player
    Dear Oculus, the Rift S isn't big enough and will look sensible(ish) when the thing is strapped to my face. Fuck you, I'm buying an XTAL or Pimax.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Mradr said:

Far as I knew - they don't have their own tracking - they use 3rd party tracking from Valve. Maybe this was 1st version of their XTAL headset? There has been at least 3 public versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFBUvfpQJ8

Though it makes me sad if StarVR One was better than XTAL and was cheaper by 2k$ xDD DARN IT!!! LOL

It's a Leap Motion mate - built in (for hand tracking).
    snowdog said:
    Dear Oculus, the Rift S isn't big enough and will look sensible(ish) when the thing is strapped to my face. Fuck you, I'm buying an XTAL or Pimax.

Don't bother messaging Oculus - just go direct to Facebook.
    Mradr said:

From the Xtal's specs page, it has integrated 3DOF IMU tracking, with a few different optional 6DOF systems:
    - embedded optitrack
    - clip on Lighthouse
    - clip on ART

It's also got built in Leap Motion 2 for hand tracking. @Hiro_Protag0nist ; did you mean controller tracking or pure hand/finger tracking?

The motorised automatic adjusting IPD is pretty cool (it detects your IPD and moves the lenses on its own to match).

I like how two of their bullet points are:
    • No data kept or sent to any 3rd party
    • Full control over updates
    Do you hear that Oculus? FULL CONTROL OVER UPDATES!

Although on the negative side, they say: "5K resolution   5120 x 1440 (2560 x 1440 per eye)".
    No, please don't be another Pimax, using deceptive terminology. Stick to the per eye numbers. One axis terms like "5K" are only of value when the aspect ratio is a known value. Plus, you never see 5120 pixels across due to stereo overlap.

edited April 20
    kojack said:
    Mradr said:

It's also got built in Leap Motion 2 for hand tracking. @Hiro_Protag0nist ; did you mean controller tracking or pure hand/finger tracking?

No controllers - just hand tracking using the Leap Motion.

There was a car demo where you could open the doors etc.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,746 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

Unfortunately, for some strange reason known only to himself, Mr Zuckerberg has a restraining order in place preventing me from contacting him directly. :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    snowdog said:

Unfortunately, for some strange reason known only to himself, Mr Zuckerberg has a restraining order in place preventing me from contacting him directly. :(

Isn't that 2 now?    :D
    kojack said:
    Mradr said:

Hmm, odd. I haven't tried Leap Motion 2, but I do have the original model and it works pretty well (except it doesn't quite get my thumbs in the right spot)
    edited April 20
    kojack said:
    kojack said:
    Mradr said:

Hmm, odd. I haven't tried Leap Motion 2, but I do have the original model and it works pretty well (except it doesn't quite get my thumbs in the right spot)

Well i've used the first in conjunction with other software and that too was an awful experience.  Of course, in both the instances i talk about, it might not be the Leap Motion or it's own software.
    kevinw729 said:
    Interesting - off topic - @kojack I am doing some research into consumer motion seat systems that have found their way into commercial entertainment application, do you know anything about those kind of systems - such as this:

[Edit: other than using Right-Click that is...]

That looks like the dof reality seats I have one and its pretty sturdy.
    The guy who makes them is a longtime member of the Xsimulator community. 

Only downside is while the function great its not exactly a commercial unit.
    Many of its components are as you can see out in the open and unshielded.
    That can lead to lawsuits when some idiot does something stupid while on one.
    Or downtime if some idoit does something to break it.

They are easy to mantain though since they use wiper motors for directional movement.

I am in one of the videos in their promotion gallery because I altered mine abit to show that you could make a pretty kick ass flight unit out of one.
    WAAAGH!
    inovator said:
    They are around 5000 dollars. For me it's like it doesn't exist
    That firmly puts it in the nope category!
    WAAAGH!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Ok can we agree this is high end and not any headset Slightly better than the Rift S. 😀
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 21
    I tried to get MRTV to talk about anymore news on XTAL - but he is like "I am under the NDA so I can't say anything else about it" XD then the awkward silents:) I assume there will be more news from XTAL soon. Not sure what that really means - but sounds neat:)
    VRgineers are in discussion with a number of parties towards their next iteration of their platform. However this will be an Enterprise approach for the time being and linked more to the CAD and Entertainment scene. As one that has links to the developers I am impressed with what they have achieved with limited resources, and when next in Prague hope to grab some more images of the latest design - but you will have to understand they will be keeping a lot of this under the radar to avoid the hyperbole that has impacted Pimax and StarVR.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Dawas19Dawas19 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Wooooow