Could You Survive An Apocalypse..? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Could You Survive An Apocalypse..?

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,748 Valuable Player
I'd be okay for a bit but once my insulin runs out I'd be pretty much fucked :(

If it wasn't for my diabetes though I'd be fine and would have no problems surviving. I'm a decent shot with either a bow or gun and would have no problems killing other people so that I could live. I can also make a fire too without a problem, and know how to make a battery and a water filter from everyday items.

For a battery you just need some nails and copper wire. Bang the nails into the ground and connect the wire to each nail. Boom. There's a battery.

A water filter? Easy peasy. Get yourself a bin, some charcoal and some sand. Puncture the bottom of the bin, bang a few holes in it, fill it up with alternating layers of sand and charcoal. Boom. Water filter.

That last one will probably save your life once the zombies/bombs start appearing, if you're out there and you see any insulin please feel free to drop some off to me to return the favour B) :D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Fuck that - I'd just round up a load of the local yokels and get 'em to do it all for me, and call me Negan :D

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    Depends on the type of apocalypse.

snowdog said:
    For a battery you just need some nails and copper wire. Bang the nails into the ground and connect the wire to each nail. Boom. There's a battery.
    Earth batteries require dissimilar metals for the electrodes, such as copper and iron or copper and aluminium. If the two nails are the same material, there won't be a chemical reaction and electron transfer via the dirt electrolyte.
    Leave out one of the nails and just stick the copper wire directly into the ground and it should work.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,109 Valuable Player
    Yeah that would probably be fairly easy where I'm from. And I doubt I'd have to work very hard to survive. I live in Texas, just about everyone around me is literally planning and waiting for the damn Apocalypse lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,748 Valuable Player
    Of course, living in London, it is @vannagirl's DUTY to pop over to Tottenham so that we can breed perfect human beings to ensure that the human race survives. And you don't even need to wait until the Apocalypse has started, the sooner we start the better.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

btw,

Things didn't turn out well for Negan...

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,268 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    Well if it's a Zombie apocalypse and they are anything like they are in "The Walking Dead". Then I'd just go about my daily life as if nothing had changed. The Zombies in that series are about as slow as a tortoise with arthritis and would be just a minor inconvenience. 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    Well if it's a Zombie apocalypse and they are anything like they are in "The Walking Dead". Then I'd just go about my daily life as if nothing had changed. The Zombies in that series are about as slow as a tortoise with arthritis and would be just a minor inconvenience. 

True .. I would go about and find Clementine, have her protect me against the human species. They seem like a bigger threat in that series. A great game though.
    Be good, die great !
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,584 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I'd be okay for a bit but once my insulin runs out I'd be pretty much fucked :(

If it wasn't for my diabetes though I'd be fine and would have no problems surviving. I'm a decent shot with either a bow or gun and would have no problems killing other people so that I could live. I can also make a fire too without a problem, and know how to make a battery and a water filter from everyday items.

A water filter? Easy peasy. Get yourself a bin, some charcoal and some sand. Puncture the bottom of the bin, bang a few holes in it, fill it up with alternating layers of sand and charcoal. Boom. Water filter.

That last one will probably save your life once the zombies/bombs start appearing, if you're out there and you see any insulin please feel free to drop some off to me to return the favour B) :D

I did warn you that watching Black Summer could cause a relapse  :o Now, did you remember to take all the antipsychotics, not just the green pills, also the hard to swallow red ones? Yeah, I'm quite worried right now!  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    You crazy fool. I can't start taking those ones again. They stop me from hearing the voices and I'd have nobody to talk to :(

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    If you want an apocalyptic show that's not about zombies (zombies are boring now, they are used WAY too often), try The Promised Neverland (it's an anime).
    Young children happily living in an orphanage, waiting for adoption. Then one day the nightmare begins.

One youtube review of it was titled "This anime horrified me for weeks". If that person watched Blood C they'd be traumatized for years.  :)

Or for a very different animated apocalypse, try Gyo, The Death Stench Creeps.
    It's about the world being invaded by fish with metal legs. It's based on a series by Junji Ito, the master of horror manga.

Gashunk!

Against a zombie apocalypse, no problem, I'd be fine. But in both situations above... not so likely.

edited April 20
    One sort of apocalypse that hasn't been done enough is a vampire apocalypse. If @vannagirl was a vampire she could feed on me any time she wants...just as long as she turns me so that we could spend eternity together :heart:

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    I have a small personal Armory and I have basic survival skills so I'll probably last awhile as long as I have ammo. I also have a Barrett m82a1.50 cal and currently have about 120 rounds left so for people trying to get on my property, body armor is optional. :D

I'm not a prepper though, most of what I own is shotguns and hunting rifles but I should be able to secure food unless it's nuclear/biological attack then I'm f'd like everyone else.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    I've played more than enough video games to know how to survive an apocalypse. And I'm not a bad shot with a pistol and rifle in real life, either.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    LOL if the zombies were like walking dead - you might have some problems in the early days in large cities - but long as you took out more zombies than was bit - you win as a human race. Really, the infection would be over before we knew it except in large pocket cities. As other pointed out - the big reason is that they are slow - so just walking in and out a small firing groups would be more than enough to kill them much like we see with micro fighting in starcraft killing zealots.

On the other hand - I feel like 28 day later zombie like would be more real. Where they run at you and are smart enough to know how some things work like doors. Now that would be different and could take us by surprise enough to cause major problems.

On the other hand - more real life threat like nuclear/biological would be more than enough to kill most of the world. Not much you can prepare for those type of attacks. Even if you do have a bunker - you wouldn't have mear mins or seconds to get in there before it just wipe out everything. 
    edited April 24
    RedRizla said:

Yep, you'd be one of the first to die! lol

Everyone who makes the mistake of thinking that they will live by default just because Zombies are slow end up dead. Zombies never tire, and unless you can run forever without stopping for rest, food, and water, then you're gonna be in big trouble. It doesn't matter if they're slow when a horde of 100,000 stand between you and survival.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I don't think snowdog would even know that the apocalypse is happening. He'd probably still be in his room working on his VR Game
    :p

Hahahaha

yes I know right

wow these Zombies are so life likeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    Zenbane said:
    I don't think snowdog would even know that the apocalypse is happening. He'd probably still be in his room working on his VR Game

Hahahaha

yes I know right

Probably like this old joke, just imagine zombies instead of burglars  ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

They actually nicked that idea from someone else. Someone did a similar thing years ago, might have even been before the Rift launched. In the original he got a box delivered with a free headset and the guy who delivered it turned up with a mate and robbed him. They even took his dog or cat in the original lol :D

vannagirl said:
    Zenbane said:

Hahahaha

yes I know right

When the apocalypse starts make sure you get to mine. We will rebuild the human race together. B)

• saami81saami81 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Honestly speaking i cant. I am not clever enough and i dont know how to survive in harsh conditions.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    edited April 21
    snowdog said:

When the apocalypse starts make sure you get to mine. We will rebuild the human race together. B)
    With my l33t survival skills, I'm going to have the dozen hottest girls in the neighbourhood for my harem.

Rebuilding the human race will be hard work, but I'm up to the job.
    edited April 22
    Toilet paper and the like ran out after a few days, no running water just intense heat, no make-up but a lot of sweat, bacteria and infections; rebuilding the human race might not be an easy job - but I guess our ancestors did manage 500,000 years ago too  :D

And some inspiration for nutrition (and movies to watch) - I guess when electricity and the fridge stop, most of us will be in severe trouble after 4 days or so...

edited April 22
    Well you would have:

1) 1-6 hours to 1-2 days of grid power before something in a coal power plant or nuclear would shut it self down. In places that get their power from other sources such as wind - water - sun - could last into the 6 months to a year range, but weather would slowly eat away at the power lines resulting in power failures around the town. I would power up as many devices as you can during this time such as flash lights, power banks, and other small electronic devices such as a radio, clocks, etc. I would also waste the energy and start downloading and printing maps, survival tips, how to build some things like wind mails, how to grow food {such as corn, wheat, etc}, how to raise meat stock, how to hook up solar panels, etc. Even if you are the only human left - knowing how to make these more advance technology means you have slightly better chance of living for many years. If you do find people - you just became the most important person with in the group.

2) Power sources such as fuel would grant you another 1-5 years if there are not that many humans around. This could help to keep things cold for a little time to build out ice caves. Clean water, cook food, give light, etc etc, but after 5 years gas would have evaporated or be so water down it would be useless. If you are willing to travel - you could in theory still have enough fuel for another 30 years if you collect the propane tanks and use it to generate power as well.

3) Food expires much faster though - so even if you make ice caves to help keep it cold without wasting a ton of energy to keep it cold - you would only net 7 days to 1 month. In some cases - you could net up to 6 months if you freeze it instead. The problem is after a year or two - you will HAVE to get get food from other sources and that might be harder than one might think if the undead is chasing you and infecting the same food you eat such as meats (deer, chicken, birds, etc). Depending on where you live - you might not even have access to much of anything. But the biggies problem will be water and cleaning said water all the time. We waste a ton of energy every day just cleaning it and recycling what we currently have. You could collect some with rain - but not every location rains enough to keep and store said water.

At that point you would be better off moving locations from a well suited plenty of supply location - over to a location that might be out of the way such as a farm, lake, or river. This may be good or bad - but it will force you to rethink on what you can do or not do in many cases. 
    edited April 22
    Just came to think about it, I still have this movie shrink-wrapped (saw it in 2D in the cinema first, bought the 3D version later) - maybe I should see it tonight...

I've always wondered how they manage in the desert - no one seems to be carrying toilet paper, and I don't see any trees with nice big leaves... 

I'm not trying to change the thread's subject to post-apocalyptic movies, but The Road is simply awesome too (so food and guns may not be enough - you may need to travel to the right/secure locations, and to avoid confrontations etc.):

• Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    nah.. nor would i want to.
    There shouldn't be too many problems keeping things cool. Just find yourself a lake or river that you can keep stuff in. It'll get warm ish in the Summer but should be cool enough to stop stuff going mouldy in a hurry.

The biggest worry I have is not having a Hoover and washing machine. I'm not too sure how @vannagirl is going to do all of my cleaning without them.

snowdog said:
    There shouldn't be too many problems keeping things cool. Just find yourself a lake or river that you can keep stuff in. It'll get warm ish in the Summer but should be cool enough to stop stuff going mouldy in a hurry.

The biggest worry I have is not having a Hoover and washing machine. I'm not too sure how @vannagirl is going to do all of my cleaning without them.
    She is a strong independent woman that doesn't need no man.