The Official Films Thread - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Ended up binning The Expanse as it was getting dull - kept waiting for it to get interesting, but after 5 or 6 episodes we gave up.

Still watching Grimm, though - that's nothing special, either, but at least it's a little different from the usuals.

We took my brother's advice of trying the series instead of the films on the Pay TV services - as most of the films are crap (to us). We did watch an interesting Anthony Hopkins early performance, though - on YouTube. Not bad - but don't watch it if you need action...

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,585 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    I just watched Sinister on Netflix about a true crime author writing a book about murders. Not going to give anything away, it's an excellent film. :)

Does he turn into a Transformer at any point in the film?

No.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,032 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    I just watched Sinister on Netflix about a true crime author writing a book about murders. Not going to give anything away, it's an excellent film. :)

Does he turn into a Transformer at any point in the film?

No.

I couldn't resist looking at the spoiler.
    I watched The Conjuring the other day and quite enjoyed it. Have now downloaded Yhe House That Jack Built and will watch that later on.

Am in the middle of watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe and it's pretty good so far, am about halfway through.

I'm on a real horror vibe as far as films are concerned at the moment, I watched The Amityville Horror remake last night but it wasn't anywhere near as scary as the original, but that might be because I was a kid when I watched it lol

Vampires freaked me out for a while when I was a kid because I snuck downstairs whilst my parents were watching a Christopher Lee Hammer House Of Horror film and it gave me nightmares. From then on I started to sleep with my arm wrapped around my neck to protect it lol :blush: :smiley:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,308 Valuable Player
    edited April 17
    snowdog said:
    I watched The Conjuring the other day and quite enjoyed it. Have now downloaded Yhe House That Jack Built and will watch that later on.

If you watch it this weekend, we can go together and see my trauma therapist next week. He offers couples therapy, and we can split the bill!  B)

You're watching the unrated (uncensored) version right? 

Next in my get-well-and-forget-The-House-That-Jack-Built-therapy is watching this film - it's in the mail tomorrow  o:)

And before you laugh, yes it's for my sons, BUT I read this on IMDB:

"Laughed Until I Cried

17 February 2018
    This movie is seriously funny. There are so many parts where I couldn't stop laughing. I'm an adult man and this may be my favorite movie. 

Ignore negative reviews about the bullying scene. I mean the rabbits are mortal enemies of the gardener so yeah they are going to do whatever it takes. People need to stop being so sensitive about the whole allergy issue. 

This movie will make you laugh, cry, and wish you could watch it again. Take your kids, take your mom, take a stranger..... they'll laugh too !!!"

The movie has a $50 mill budget - it can't be bad  :D

BTW, did get this one too - 4K edition:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Didn't realise there was an Uncut version. Have started downloading it now, thanks for that! :smiley:

We just watched The Ghost Ship for the second time, as we couldn't remember much of it - always a good sign..... not!

Nothing special at all, but as we watched the whole thing, it couldn't have been that bad. Only 90 minute's anyway. Same old story, really, just in a slightly different setting.

Just finished watching The House That Jack Built and loved it lol

The only part that was disturbing to me was:

The poor duckling getting his leg cut off. Poor thing. I loved his wallet too, I might have to make one for myself!  >:)

I also watched Creep last night which was excellent, about a guy that hires a videographer to do a video for his unborn son because he has cancer. Loved it. I REALLY like low budget indie films like this.

I also watched Creep 2 this morning but it was nowhere near as good.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator
    Later today I'm going to watch Lupin The Third: The Castle Of Cagliostro again. Monkey Punch, the creator of Lupin III, died a couple of days ago at age 81. :(
    The Castle of Cagliostro was directed by Hayao Miyazaki (his first feature film), 6 years before he founded Studio Ghibli.

Kind of appropriate for here, Universal Studios Japan has a Lupin III VR ride at the moment (limited time, it's ending in september).

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player

Just received and watched this. Pretty good but not excellent.  Something is off on this and I cannot put my finger on it.  Will be great for my English dub ONLY Dragonball collection.  Love anime but ONLY English dub....can’t stand jap dubs. 

The Dragon Ball movies are usually non-canon.
    Toriyama did write the screenplay for Resurrection F and Broly, and the story for Battle Of The Gods, so these 3 should be canon. The rest were done without him.

Digikid1 said:
    Love anime but ONLY English dub....can’t stand jap dubs.
    I would generally disagree, except in a few specific instances:
    - I prefer the english dragonball cast. I'm just not used to goku being voiced by an 82 year old woman (although she does a fine job). Although the dragonball abridged cast is even better. :)
    - Ghost In The Shell has an excellent english cast
    - FLCL had the director fly out to america to supervise the english cast to make sure the dub was done right. It shows.
    - Yu Yu Hakusho, because Kuwabara is voiced by Christopher Sabat, who also does Vegeta and Piccolo from Dragon ball.
    - Ninja Scroll. I like Dean Wein as Jubei.

Bloody hell, I've just watched The Devil & Father Amorth directed by William Friedkin who directed The Exorcist. It has footage of a real exorcism for the very first time. :o

I guess you could put it down to the woman being nuttier than a fruit cake, just like our very own @vannagirl, but her voice was a bit fucking spooky lol :o :D

Definitely worth watching anyway just to see what goes on in a real exorcism  B)

edited April 18
    @kojack DBZ Abridged is fricking hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!  Love it!

Peter Rabbit actually was quite funny - ok, maybe not "Fawlty Towers"-funny nor "Blackadder"-funny, but still it wasn't bad. I think the 1-star reviews on Amazon.co.uk are the best commercials for the movie I can think of :D

"It's an extremely violent and crude film! I would not let my children view this atrocity There is even a moment where peter shoves a carrot up somebody's anus!"

"Did that just really happen? Rapping sparrows, incredibly cruel and crude animals, and more deliberate en-ger-lish signposting than you could shake a Harrods bag at. After the Yankification and turgid Williams soundtrack of BFG, us Brits have to take it up the rectum once again with this abomination of a film. Snide, cruel jokes from beginning to end including a horrific pig character that is guaranteed to scare the hell out of any 10 year old or below, I know they have to cater for the lowest common denominator to hit the big money but this is truly appalling."

"My family and I only watched 20 mins of this before switching it off. The owner of the garden that peter rabbit and co steals vegetables etc.. from has killed peters dad and put him in a rabbit pie. They show close up pictures of the man chewing food with his mouth wide open. The man chases the rabbit, and then collapses with a heart attack to which all the animals celebrate, with a wild party, trashing the mans house. The pig is vile in this - yes I know pigs - eat well like pigs.. but this was another level."

I'd easily rate the movie 7/10. BTW, had severe decoding errors from min 50 to 55 in the movie, seems to be an error on the disc (although it's brand new, no scratches at all) - and I had to change from the 4K to the 2K blu-ray version instead. The reaction from the wife was as expected  :#

"Did you just change to the blu-ray version, which costs 25% of the 4K version? I can't see any difference at all!"

"4K is a complete waste of money!"

"Now I fully understand why Samsung stopped making 4K players like you told me!"

Sigh. Double-sigh  :(  ;)

Actually I had a completely different experience. Blu-ray (upscaled to 4K by the TV) was truly horrible to look at - skin details were completely washed out, view distance was greatly impacted, colors were off, no HDR and the photo-realistic sharpness was totally gone. To me 4K vs. blu-ray is starting to be a difference maybe not like day vs. night, but more like day vs. dusk... But you have to know what to look for. I think this review of Peter Rabbit 4K is spot on:

"The HDR10 color spectrum amps up some of the colors in brightly lit outdoor scenes, but otherwise looks very similar to the Blu-ray. Detail is improved upon for sure with the CGI rabbits, which show more individual hairs that flow in the wind. Even when different lighting hits the fur, you'll be able to distinguish them quite a bit. For instance, when Peter and his family are in the dank old house, as opposed to being outside in the hot sun, their fur has different shading in regards to lighting, which looks exquisite. The dirt in the garden gives clear detail to all of the mud and soil aspects of the dirt and Bea's paintings show us the textures in her canvas and paint.

Close-ups reveal makeup effects, individual hairs, and wrinkles in the live-action actor's faces as well. Wider shots are never soft either, even during some of the light fireworks type of explosions that causes smoke in the garden, where none of it was pixelated. Colors in the HDR10 brighten everything up and give way to some excellent looking natural colors in the vegetation, the greenery of the countryside and even the blue skies. The different coats all of the rabbits wear truly make an impression as do their brown and white fur. Black levels were very deep and inky with no crush and the skin tones were very natural. There were no issues with any banding, aliasing, or video noise to speak of, giving this video presentation good marks."

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/56595/peterrabbit4kultrahdbluray.html

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Well that last review is pure nonsense. Everyone with ANY sense knows that they used real talking animals to make this film. CGI? Bloody idiot.

RuneSR2 said:
    Peter Rabbit actually was quite funny - ok, maybe not "Fawlty Towers"-funny nor "Blackadder"-funny, but still it wasn't bad. I think the 1-star reviews on Amazon.co.uk are the best commercials for the movie I can think of :D

"It's an extremely violent and crude film! I would not let my children view this atrocity There is even a moment where peter shoves a carrot up somebody's anus!"
    That just makes me want to watch it! :D
    snowdog said:
    Bloody hell, I've just watched The Devil & Father Amorth directed by William Friedkin who directed The Exorcist. It has footage of a real exorcism for the very first time. :o

I guess you could put it down to the woman being nuttier than a fruit cake, just like our very own @vannagirl, but her voice was a bit fucking spooky lol :o :D

Definitely worth watching anyway just to see what goes on in a real exorcism  B)

How about the rest of the movie? It's really low on IMDB (4.6), can't say the trailer doesn't look interesting though:

I really enjoyed it, has medical experts giving their opinion on what was going on too. Definitely worth more than the 4.6 on IMDb, I'd put it down as a 7 or 8 I think.

Was time for The Bank Job again this evening - become one of our favourite flicks.

And I watched T2 Trainspotting. Really amazing in 4K, even though it's fake 4K, but you could see the smallest skin details - and hairs. HDR and colors were awesome too, but I wasn't that fond of the story. After 20 years you should think they could come up with a better story than persons still being very upset about losing £4000 in 1996...  It was more a kind of semi-fun reunion movie, focusing on the story alone I'd probably rate it 5/10. It doesn't really feel like a sequel, little of the original (1996) energy is present.
    In total I'd rate the movie 6/10, thanks to the skilled cameraman + effects of HDR + enhanced colors + Dolby Atmos was great + this is the first 4K movie I own with full 16:9 support, almost no black bars (letterboxing), which made the movie so much bigger ;)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,866 Valuable Player
    I finally watched the Captain Marvel movie. It was much better than I expected and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I'm ready for Avengers: End Game!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:
    I finally watched the Captain Marvel movie. It was much better than I expected and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I'm ready for Avengers: End Game!
    Just re-watched Avengers Ultron with my 11 year old son (I found it better the second time) - now we're going to re-watch Infinity War and then we're ready too  :)

After seeing Descent 2 available to watch on Netflix I decided to download and watch the first one. I started watching it and nearly gave up on it because it takes AGES to get going, but once it gets up to speed it's great.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,032 Valuable Player
    If you like your Zombie films, I just watched Train to Busan. I don't usually like films with subtitles that's why I've never watched it up until now. I'm glad I did though because it's an all action Zombie movie and has great reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Busan-English-Subtitled-Gong/dp/B01MS6I4YJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Train+to+Busan&qid=1555914261&s=gateway&sr=8-1

snowdog said:
    After seeing Descent 2 available to watch on Netflix I decided to download and watch the first one. I started watching it and nearly gave up on it because it takes AGES to get going, but once it gets up to speed it's great.

The descent is an awesome movie - still 7.2 on IMDB, it's by far my favorite chick flick! :D

I've seen Descent 2 like 10 years ago, frankly I don't remember it much :blush: Might give it another go...

RedRizla said:
    If you like your Zombie films, I just watched Train to Busan. I don't usually like films with subtitles that's why I've never watched it up until now. I'm glad I did though because it's an all action Zombie movie and has great reviews.

Great movie. I need to find the animated prequel: Seoul Station. It was released a month after Train To Busan.

edited April 22
    RedRizla said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Busan-English-Subtitled-Gong/dp/B01MS6I4YJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Train+to+Busan&qid=1555914261&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It does look awesome - and it's rated 7.5 on IMDB based on 100K ratings - maybe one of the highest rated zombie movies ever made?

Not sure it's available in 4K, but this may work nicely too..

Just bought Train to Busan on blu-ray from Amazon.co.uk - this review from IMDB convinced me, and RedRizla's description too:

Just like The House That Jack Built, I'm sure this movie upscaled to 4K and shown using Sony's 1000Hz MotionFlow and Triluminos Color (for those very deep reds) will work its magic  ;)

BTW, I'm not the biggest fan of Korean movies, but this one - 7.8 on IMDB (92K ratings) - was great:

- and especially this one - 8.1 on IMDB (71K ratings):