What HMD has your attention right now? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What HMD has your attention right now?

JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 141
Art3mis
edited April 28 in General
There are a number of new HMD’s on it’s way!
Valve Index, Vive Cosmos, Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift S...

Some are soon to be released and becoming orderable, some are still missing 
(Maybe some known specifications has moved your attention to another brand.)

At this moment what HMD would you like to know more about and/or preorder right now?

What HMD has your attention right now? 50 votes

Valve Index
50%
LuciferousjabEvileyesTafjord79maxpare79JohSm67snowdogSpiceLife72SkScotcheggdjwqvedwbradleyothervoicesdburnePhoenixSpydergr0bdaoldgamergazzapyroth309EychimoRuneSR2parsecn 25 votes
Vive Cosmos
8%
ClayYoirglc-bucksAnnenouk 4 votes
Vive PRO
2%
KoBak07 1 vote
Oculus Rift S
26%
RedRizlajayhawkCrashFurVRclosetRosgilliesDTHlensmandaveDigikid1TomCgcmfcTheRealCyberDAAN81202Snowmobile2004Simek98 13 votes
Oculus Quest
14%
Hiro_Protag0nistL1VE3V1LLuluViBritanniamagarzutNeloDiavoloRavengerdominator3456 7 votes
Oculus Go
0%

Comments

• JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Valve Index
    Oculus had my attention for a while!
    However lack of release date and possibility to preorder the Quest and Rift S is shifting my attention.

Already got the Rift/Go & Vive (with the TPCast addon) and are now looking for an upgrade!
    Looking for a better experience, Wireless, Better image quality (Resolution) and great tracking.

So I did shift my attention is now to the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos, maybe because Rift S didn’t bump up specifications enough and the Quest seems to miss that CPU/GPU capacity to render HQ images (Based on shown upcoming games and apps.)

Maybe the Vive Pro with the Wireless addon is the way to go!
    Guess I have to wait some time to get more info/specifications on the Valve Index and the Vive Cosmos....
    While waiting for Oculus!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,815
    Project 2501
    Valve Index

Shame you cannot change your vote as be good to see the changing statistics as rumours and leaks break.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,287 Valuable Player
    edited April 21
    The sensible enthusiast will wait, in any case, until they are all released and well tested by the relevant communities, then make an informed decision.

Though some of us don't have the money for that - so we wait until the options we can afford have been released and tested.

We already have VR - there's no need to dive in uninformed or unsure of anything now - just a little patience to get the one that will suit the individual best.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,398 Valuable Player
    Wow another one which ignores the headset releasing in a week or so. HP Reverb man. HP REVERB. I guess if you market something as mostly enterprise, people don't hear about it.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,562 Volunteer Moderator
    Was gonna say just the same thing mate. Reverb is a serious seated contender 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Project 2501
    Valve Index
    KlodsBrik said:
    Yeah but I reckon a lot people have changed their mind Since. 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,838 Valuable Player
    Oculus Rift S
    Techy111 said:
    Was gonna say just the same thing mate. Reverb is a serious seated contender 
    Yes it is except for one glaring problem....it’s a HP product. To me that is a HUGE black spot. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,394 Valuable Player
    Valve Index
    My next headset is either going to be the Valve Index or an Oculus Rift S, same as before tbh. It all depends on how much the Index costs and whether I can run one on decent settings with my 1080.

If I do end up getting a Valve Index I'll certainly miss ASW 2.0 though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 21
    Same, need more information before I make a choice. Rift S isn't off the radar - just not my first choice over a Quest. On the flip side - if the Index cost more than 1k$ and just comes out to be a HTC Pro device - I might just pick up a Rift S. Granted - I am sure that is not the case for Index - but I dont want to hold my hype high if not founded. On the other hand - if some of the rumors are true - then Index even at 1k$ might sound to be worth. It really just all depends at the end of the day the information we hear. For me, I still be buying Oculus software either way. I just hope openXR comes out sooner than we think:) Along with that - Oculus has one final chance to release some news about a Rift2 and their plans on that before the long wait till OC. By then though - I feel like it'll be too late - but hey - never know, right:)?

Quest > Rift S (for sure buy)

No news around May 1st = Index > Rift S (Just need to know price really and a touch of new information on their new lens)

Some news around May 1st = Hold off - maybe delay - just till OC
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 397
    Trinity
    Which HDM's have my attention right now, oh that is easy...........

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,047 Valuable Player
    edited April 21
    Valve Index
    The one I am most interested in right now is the Valve Index.
    Will see when full specs and pricing is revealed.

Little larger FOV.
    Little bump in resolution.
    Little better audio ( maybe but at least it has what appears to be good audio speakers).
    Physical IPD adjustment.
    All the above what I had hoped would be in the next Rift.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    Rift S and Valve Index
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited April 21
    Index is likely to be too expensive - especially when you include the upgrade I'd need, to an expensive graphics card (which I refuse to do any more). Add to that doubts over controller tracking (and I think their controllers are pretty shite anyway, compared to Touch) and I won't even be considering it.

The suggested increase in FoV is, imo, not worth bothering with - definitely not a selling point. As I'm unwilling to upgrade my PC again this year, the only option left is probably the Rift-S, which is fine by me. Would be Quest, but it just ain't got the required oomph.

btw: I don't think this is a good poll in any case for the simple reason that the headsets listed are not all for the same purpose and have different intended target customers.

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 755
    3Jane
    Oculus Rift S
    Like I said in the last thread. With the inside-out as good as it is on the Rift S. Outside-in is so yesterday. That's what kills the Index for me. Another concern is I have no idea how well the hack works to use my Oculus library on a non-Oculus HMD.
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    Yes great tracking is so yesterday 😀
    Valve Index
    I had to unplug and plug in two of my sensors yesterday. Maybe it's a sign?!!?!? :o :smiley:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Ugh! That's way too clean and tidy!

:(

Yeah, I don't let the Mrs in here with her dusters! :D

Project 2501
    edited April 22
    Valve Index
    JD-UK said:
    Ugh! That's way too clean and tidy!

:(

Yeah, I don't let the Mrs in here with her dusters! :D
    Yes it offends my eyes lol. You better not get a Rift S as where are you going to hang all your other cables :) Although I reckon you are not reaching its true potential, maybe hang a few coats on there also. :)
    3Jane
    edited April 22
    Oculus Rift S
    Yes great tracking is so yesterday 😀
    Apparently I hit a nerve lol. External tracking devices will end up so yesterday, and I would agree they work great. Ok, I can't say 'will' since I don't know for sure. I think the writing is on the wall though. This is just my opinion, so easy now, but I think Valve didn't bother with inside out just for dev time and costs, and why they're just sticking with lighthouse. Maybe next time.
    Project 2501
    edited April 22
    Valve Index
    Just my funny bone ;)  Sorry jayhawk just the way you phrased it made me laugh, no offense meant. I would love a HMD to have both. If I had to choose only one though the sensors win although I know everybody has there own preference.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 862
    3Jane
    Oculus Rift S
    Rift S for sure but I'll wait for actual user reports and the usual Oculus updates (maybe including sensor compatibility) to see if it is worth upgrading my current cv1 w/3x sensors.  
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    3Jane
    edited April 22
    Oculus Rift S
    Just my funny bone ;)  Sorry jayhawk just the way you phrased it made me laugh, no offense meant. I would love a HMD to have both. If I had to choose only one though the sensors win although I know everybody has there own preference.
    I def could have worded it better. Referring to it as old 'so yesterday' anyone could easily read 'inferior' into that as well.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,838 Valuable Player
    edited April 22
    Oculus Rift S
    I just wish we would hurry up and get the Valve index specs out of the way. Does anyone know what the latest rumours are about this headset? Still no leaks about what we can expect? I definitely think HTC Vive Pro resolution is nailed on. As for price that's anyone's guess, but I don't expect it to be cheap. 
    Valve Index
    The latest news is that there is no latest news. :D

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,373 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish we would hurry up and get the Valve index specs out of the way. Does anyone know what the latest rumours are about this headset? Still no leaks about what we can expect? I definitely think HTC Vive Pro resolution is nailed on. As for price that's anyone's guess, but I don't expect it to be cheap. 
    Latest rumour is direct neural interface. The speculation has reached a whole new level of crazy.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited April 22
    Have you not read the PCGamer article? Pos they gave a price in that - think it was $600 but not 100% - this old memory fades fast!

*can't find it now - they have a couple of articles but neither has a price quoted - am pretty positive they did have, so maybe they edited it out.

**oh wow - didn't see that - seems the controllers will also be sold separately! Not gonna be cheap, in total then.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/valves-vr-headset-will-ship-in-june-according-to-unfinished-steam-page/

The Index doesn't come with controllers, either, which have yet another removed Steam listing. They're called Index Controllers on Steam, and are likely a version of the 'knuckles' controllers Valve's been working on.

Valve Index
    Well that's probably me out then. If the whole bundle including Lighthouse base stations and Knuckles controllers is more than 600 quid then Valve can fuck right off and I'll get myself a Rift S instead.

I'd probably miss ASW 2.0 too much anyway lol