cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the Size of a Medium 3D Model

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys, 

at first i want to say sorry for my bad english. 
I have a problem with Oculus Medium. I'm searching for a way to export my models from medium and change their seizes like in a CAD program because i want to get a .stl-File with the right seize of my model to print it with the 3D-printer. is there any way i can get the right model ?

i hope you all can help me 

greets

A. 
14 REPLIES 14

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

kobs57 said:

I have the same problem, I make something in medium and want to export it to Oculus home ... you know, medium and Oculus should know each other right? but there it no way to know what size your model will be in Oculus home i think it's a little odd to say the least that no one thought of a way to give at least an approximate size of what your model will be in Oculus home. I made a human model that should've been normal height in medium and once exported to Oculus home it was 10 feet tall

Hi kobs57, there is a way to fix this! Have you tried using the Scene Origin? Here is a quick tutorial: https://youtu.be/SmPks6WIffA

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Thanks Naomi I'm going to try that  😉
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

iAmAzwell
Honored Guest

kobs57 said:

I have the same problem, I make something in medium and want to export it to Oculus home ... you know, medium and Oculus should know each other right? but there it no way to know what size your model will be in Oculus home i think it's a little odd to say the least that no one thought of a way to give at least an approximate size of what your model will be in Oculus home. I made a human model that should've been normal height in medium and once exported to Oculus home it was 10 feet tall

Hi kobs57, there is a way to fix this! Have you tried using the Scene Origin? Here is a quick tutorial: https://youtu.be/SmPks6WIffA

So I tried using the scene origin to fix scaling as explained in the video, but it’s not working for me. “Scene Origin” does not have a “settings” option. Only “manip”. I’d like to scale my object for Oculus Home, and not being able to is frustrating.

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Same here, I've given up on Medium I guess it's too complicated for me. All I wanted was to scale models that I make Oh well.
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @kobs57  and @cappaholic, sorry for the old information here! We changed the way our previous scene origin/ export origin worked in our 2.3 release to be more in line with how other 3D apps work.

Moving forward, the best thing to use to get a real sense of scale in Medium is the "Grid" object in the scene graph, not the Sculpt parent. Just make sure the Grid object is a child of the Sculpt parent.
1. Go to the "Grid" object in the scene graph and go to the "Settings"
2. Turn on the XZ/ XY/ YZ axes visualization to see the origin
3. Determine the grid size and units.

Manipulating the scale of the sculpt and its layers relative to the grid size will enable you to have consistent and purposeful results when you export. 

We've also added some detail about the grid and how it relates to exporting in the manual, which you can find at www.oculus.com/medium/manual, on page 65. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info.