cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could You Survive An Apocalypse..?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd be okay for a bit but once my insulin runs out I'd be pretty much fucked 😞

If it wasn't for my diabetes though I'd be fine and would have no problems surviving. I'm a decent shot with either a bow or gun and would have no problems killing other people so that I could live. I can also make a fire too without a problem, and know how to make a battery and a water filter from everyday items.

For a battery you just need some nails and copper wire. Bang the nails into the ground and connect the wire to each nail. Boom. There's a battery.

A water filter? Easy peasy. Get yourself a bin, some charcoal and some sand. Puncture the bottom of the bin, bang a few holes in it, fill it up with alternating layers of sand and charcoal. Boom. Water filter.

That last one will probably save your life once the zombies/bombs start appearing, if you're out there and you see any insulin please feel free to drop some off to me to return the favour B) 😄
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

There shouldn't be too many problems keeping things cool. Just find yourself a lake or river that you can keep stuff in. It'll get warm ish in the Summer but should be cool enough to stop stuff going mouldy in a hurry.

The biggest worry I have is not having a Hoover and washing machine. I'm not too sure how @vannagirl is going to do all of my cleaning without them.

She is a strong independent woman that doesn't need no man.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well she needs one if she's going to rebuild the human race. It's her duty to do so. Same goes for any other female survivors of child bearing age.

I'm going to be pretty busy I think. B)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

Well you would have:

1) 1-6 hours to 1-2 days of grid power before something in a coal power plant or nuclear would shut it self down. In places that get their power from other sources such as wind - water - sun - could last into the 6 months to a year range, but weather would slowly eat away at the power lines resulting in power failures around the town. I would power up as many devices as you can during this time such as flash lights, power banks, and other small electronic devices such as a radio, clocks, etc. I would also waste the energy and start downloading and printing maps, survival tips, how to build some things like wind mails, how to grow food {such as corn, wheat, etc}, how to raise meat stock, how to hook up solar panels, etc. Even if you are the only human left - knowing how to make these more advance technology means you have slightly better chance of living for many years. If you do find people - you just became the most important person with in the group.

2) Power sources such as fuel would grant you another 1-5 years if there are not that many humans around. This could help to keep things cold for a little time to build out ice caves. Clean water, cook food, give light, etc etc, but after 5 years gas would have evaporated or be so water down it would be useless. If you are willing to travel - you could in theory still have enough fuel for another 30 years if you collect the propane tanks and use it to generate power as well.

3) Food expires much faster though - so even if you make ice caves to help keep it cold without wasting a ton of energy to keep it cold - you would only net 7 days to 1 month. In some cases - you could net up to 6 months if you freeze it instead. The problem is after a year or two - you will HAVE to get get food from other sources and that might be harder than one might think if the undead is chasing you and infecting the same food you eat such as meats (deer, chicken, birds, etc). Depending on where you live - you might not even have access to much of anything. But the biggies problem will be water and cleaning said water all the time. We waste a ton of energy every day just cleaning it and recycling what we currently have. You could collect some with rain - but not every location rains enough to keep and store said water.

At that point you would be better off moving locations from a well suited plenty of supply location - over to a location that might be out of the way such as a farm, lake, or river. This may be good or bad - but it will force you to rethink on what you can do or not do in many cases. 

Have you never heard of tinned food and a can opener? Just have a map of all your local Super Markets and shops. Growing corn & wheat, my arse 😛 Yes it might knock 5 years of your life living of tin food, but who would want to live until their late 60's, if you can't run so well and have got Zombies wanting to chomp on your arse?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have already started stockpiling bog rolls, tinned food, rice and pasta. I'm going to need something for @vannagirl to cook for me after all. B)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You should all watch the British film called Threads made in 1984. This is the truth about what would happen in a Nuclear war and is a great film even though it was made back 1984. Just google the film Threads 1984 and you will find it streaming somewhere. It's one of the best films I've seen about the aftermath of a Nuclear War. It looks crap but it's well worth watching just to see what would happen.

Edit: The film is 1hrs 52 mins approx, if you search for it. Just remember it's not the short 58 mins version because that's only part 1 and you can't find part 2. You have to find the full stream of 1.52 mins.

I've just seen Amazon still sell it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Threads-DVD-Karen-Meagher/dp/B0009S9LNK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Threads+1984&qi...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I saw that a while back, it's excellent!

Another three great apocalypse series are The Mad Death (a rabies outbreak in the UK), Survivors (the 1975 version by Terry Nation) and Day Of The Triffids (the 1981 series not the film in 68 or the remake in the 2000s).

When The Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs (of Fungus The Bogeyman and The Snowman fame) is also excellent (both the book and the film).

I love apocalyptic stuff, can't get enough of it!!!

jab
Rising Star
Winter solo camping is one of my favorite hobbies, so I'd probably fare better then the average Joe.

And while most people are busy raiding the local shopping mal for hermetic (those places would be Lord of the Flies territory from day one), i'd instead concentrate on smaller sporting shops getting my hands on as much freeze dried food as possible. That stuff last forever, has proper nutritional values and actually tastes pretty good. Perfect for periods when your are unable to hunt/fish/trap your daily calories. And then I'd head for the hills, staying as far away from other people as possible until the worst mass hysteria settles down. 

3kqd28yy850c.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
If food starts getting scarce then me and @vannagirl will just end up eating some of our children. 😄

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Snow your just gonna end up on a milking table and shot after your usefullness is over.
Me well my Dog and I will survive just fine..... We might have to eat a female or two but hell who hasnt!
t8ctdmxoxvva.jpeg
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morgrum said:

Snow your just gonna end up on a milking table and shot after your usefullness is over.
Me well my Dog and I will survive just fine..... We might have to eat a female or two but hell who hasnt!
t8ctdmxoxvva.jpeg

@vannagirl would NEVER do that to me. NEVER!!!!!! 😮