cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

bigmike20vt
Visionary
if oculus do not want to make a rift 2 that is their prerogative etc etc etc, they are the ones with the money to lose and it is easy for us to play fast and loose with other companies money....
However there is some cognitive dissonance going on there imo. I feel they are blowing smoke up our asses to be honest.
Why would a rift 2 break anything that is in rift 1, even if they are talking some major new features.
unless this mythical rift 2 had a MISSING feature from rift 1 then it could be made backwards compatible... and developers would have the option of making any totally new features on the new headset optional.
Increased resolution, increased FOV or eye tracking... all features which could be turned off or turned on at will
and then throwing in full body tracking and what not in the mix is just sh*ting in the water to make it cloudy imo.... (again even if it was a thing it would surely only ever be an optional extra).
But put a pin in that one.. something tells me not having full body tracking wont be a blocker for releasing a new HMD in the future (ie i reckon oculus WILL release a new HMD before full tracking is a thing)

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting they are asking the question well what is a Rift 2?
When they revealed almost a year ago what they were already working on with Half Dome, which had all appearances of some nice features that might be in a Rift 2.

I am sure their strategy makes the most sense for Oculus and what they are trying to achieve for VR. But I am still very disappointed, they added a little for the Rift S but also took away some for the Rift S.
A little better resolution.
A little better FOV.
A little better audio.
Same or better tracking.
I would have been all over it anxiously awaiting to press the buy button.

I "may" still buy one in addition to whichever other headset I get that meets more of what I want, but won't have much excitement in doing so. I suspect the majority of flight and racing sim enthusiasts ( of which I am one) will likely go with another headset this time around. But yes we are the small (and loud) minority...

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
We have said in other discussions on this matter that any electronics company has a series of prototypes in development - the automotive industry is a great example of wheeling out concept cars that "may or may not" ever see the light of day as a product. That OculusVR did this with Half-Dome may have backfired more than they expected when they decided to abandon actually releasing this straight away, and placing any CV2 (or Rift2) on hiatus, while they focus on Standalone.

The question will be is the Rift-S enough of an improvement to keep the PC VR community loyal to OculusVR for whatever time it will take before they get a real Rift2?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it will splinter the PC-VR community for Oculus, in fact it already has been splintering. The Oculus community that uses the Rift primarily for Oculus experiences and games will likely go with Rift S and stay with Oculus for the foreseeable future.

The smaller Oculus PC-VR community that is more interested in non - Oculus games, primarily flight and racing sim types and likely some space game types, the majority will probably go with another brand this time around. Many of these are the ones that spend some bucks on higher end equipment to include beefy PC's and expensive controllers. They want a good headset to compliment that for these sims they spend the bulk of their gaming time in. This group typically has no problem spending more for a VR headset, but again this is a very small minority. I myself would have no problem spending 800-1,000 USD for a good headset that has more of what I want.

I think we should keep in mind that the PC VR community comprises of present users and potential future users.

Personally I don't see loyalty as anywhere near as important as growing the industry as a whole. If the product sells well , then additional loyalty follows.

It's great to focus on customer loyalty if a company has a large market but no PC VR company does right now, not even Oculus with its 50% PC VR share, as it's a small percentage of potential users.  Let's face it, loyalty at the moment means loyalty of enthusiasts. Build the industry first, then worry about loyalty.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if oculus do not want to make a rift 2 that is their prerogative etc etc etc, they are the ones with the money to lose and it is easy for us to play fast and loose with other companies money....
However there is some cognitive dissonance going on there imo. I feel they are blowing smoke up our asses to be honest.
Why would a rift 2 break anything that is in rift 1, even if they are talking some major new features.
unless this mythical rift 2 had a MISSING feature from rift 1 then it could be made backwards compatible... and developers would have the option of making any totally new features on the new headset optional.
Increased resolution, increased FOV or eye tracking... all features which could be turned off or turned on at will
and then throwing in full body tracking and what not in the mix is just sh*ting in the water to make it cloudy imo.... (again even if it was a thing it would surely only ever be an optional extra).
But put a pin in that one.. something tells me not having full body tracking wont be a blocker for releasing a new HMD in the future (ie i reckon oculus WILL release a new HMD before full tracking is a thing)

He also said pretty much that having all of the Half Dome prototype features in a headset would result in an $800+ headset (paraphrasing and reading between the lines a bit).

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

He also said pretty much that having all of the Half Dome prototype features in a headset would result in an $800+ headset (paraphrasing and reading between the lines a bit).

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)

Not a chance - IMHO of course.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Not to mention that the crowd that would be able to put a rig together that will run  4k res / 200 fov with maxed settings is limited.
 To top it, most of those persons are flight/racing sim enthusiasts. So more money for gear needed here.

Oculus is just playing it safe. A "cheap" highend hmd wouldn´t work for a wider market just yet.
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable

KlodsBrik said:

snowdog said:

Not to mention that the crowd that would be able to put a rig together that will run  4k res / 200 fov with maxed settings is limited.
 To top it, most of those persons are flight/racing sim enthusiasts. So more money for gear needed here.

Oculus is just playing it safe. A "cheap" highend hmd wouldn´t work for a wider market just yet.

Well I would be in that crowd, but I certainly was not hoping for true 4k nor a 200 degree FOV.
I don't even consider Pimax a worthy contender for what I want. I know there are limits with today's technology.