cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

dburne said:

Well I would be in that crowd, but I certainly was not hoping for true 4k nor a 200 degree FOV.
I don't even consider Pimax a worthy contender for what I want. I know there are limits with today's technology.

I might have exagurated quite a bit just to make sure everyone understood my message.
 Im in that range as well. I would love to see it, but understand that if the market for these hmd´s are maxed at 40k-80k units, it might not be worth it from a buisness kind of perspective if ones goal is to make vr affordable for everyone.
Be good, die great !

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)

Oh, so that "we will defiantly see CV2 in 2021"! has changed again - wow what a roller-coaster  B)

Anyway, on another note - someone in the closed Oculus Facebook dev forum just threw this image into the mix, not remembering that it came from 2013:

227q6aml28tf.png

How many here remember this original leak?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If Oculus doesn’t feel that their next-gen features are ready for prime time, that’s fine; they’re the only ones in a position to judge that. I agree that they need to maintain full backwards and forward compatibility, and keep the price in a reasonable range. An $800 headset at this point is going to have a hard time gaining traction. I don’t object to a minor refresh to update the specs a little in the meantime, and I was prepared to buy it on release based on my satisfaction with their previous products.

My disappointment stems from the decision to abandon features that were considered important when they released CV1. They put a stake in the ground and declared that it must be usable by everyone comfortably. Now, they’re saying that if your IPD is more than a few millimetres outside of the average, this might not be the headset for you. The head strap might be more comfortable, and it might accommodate glasses better, but that means nothing to me if I can’t get the lenses in the right place in front of my eyes. A single screen and fixed lenses are trade-offs I can accept in a $200 3dof device that I use to watch media, but I think it’s a lousy choice for their flagship PCVR headset, especially when it leaves behind a part of their user base who are already invested in their ecosystem.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
So many people were complaining that Oculus had said nothing about a Rift CV2 and how we were left in uncertainty about whether Oculus would even bother developing PCVR etc etc etc and now we have the information (that one will be coming, but not right now) people are still whinging and trying to tell them how they should be doing it (usually whilst denying they are doing so).

Whilst everyone can dream about what they would like to have - why not just look at what's available, make your choice and be satisfied. If it isn't up to what you want - don't buy it. If it is, happy days!

If I had a quid for all the posts I've seen from people who basically tell dev's - hard or software - how they should be doing it, or that they are doing it wrong, I'd have enough to buy every headset on the market this year! And then some...

I wonder if those people are good - or even just competent - at their own jobs?

PS - before people start getting all offended - this is a general statement and not aimed at any particular poster here 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

KlodsBrik said:

snowdog said:

He also said pretty much that having all of the Half Dome prototype features in a headset would result in an $800+ headset (paraphrasing and reading between the lines a bit).

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)

Not to mention that the crowd that would be able to put a rig together that will run  4k res / 200 fov with maxed settings is limited.
 To top it, most of those persons are flight/racing sim enthusiasts. So more money for gear needed here.

Oculus is just playing it safe. A "cheap" highend hmd wouldn´t work for a wider market just yet.

Well I would be in that crowd, but I certainly was not hoping for true 4k nor a 200 degree FOV.
I don't even consider Pimax a worthy contender for what I want. I know there are limits with today's technology.

The CV2 will be 4K resolution, but a 140 degree FOV with eye tracking and foveated rendering. Not sure if it'll have the varifocal feature though, they might keep that for the CV2 S.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

JD-UK said:

If I had a quid for all the posts I've seen from people who basically tell dev's - hard or software - how they should be doing it, or that they are doing it wrong, I'd have enough to buy every headset on the market this year! And then some...

PS - before people start getting all offended - this is a general statement and not aimed at any particular poster here 😉

No offence taken JD-UK - some valid points.

But to be frank, as most of these devs have gone out of their way to "ask" the community for feedback - look we have OculusVR stating that they "want to hear from the community and add their feedback to the final release" [paraphrased] - so you cant really blame the community for venting.

Its the old issue of those that thought they understood the direction being taken from the scraps of information supplied from the captain, only to learn that the ship has changed direction as the captain waves bye bye from the adrift lifeboat!

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Oh, so that "we will defiantly see CV2 in 2021"! has changed again - wow what a roller-coaster  B)

Anyway, on another note - someone in the closed Oculus Facebook dev forum just threw this image into the mix, not remembering that it came from 2013:

227q6aml28tf.png

How many here remember this original leak?

If I've ever said 2021 it was a typo. I've always said 2019 and 2022 as far as I remember.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
If I've ever said 2021 it was a typo. I've always said 2019 and 2022 as far as I remember.

Okay thanks for the clarification  B)

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

JD-UK said:

But to be frank, as most of these devs have gone out of their way to "ask" the community for feedback - look we have OculusVR stating that they "want to hear from the community and add their feedback to the final release" [paraphrased] - so you cant really blame the community for venting.

Its the old issue of those that thought they understood the direction being taken from the scraps of information supplied from the captain, only to learn that the ship has changed direction as the captain waves bye bye from the adrift lifeboat!

Describes how I feel about the Rift S in a nutshell.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

JD-UK said:

I think his explanation made perfect sense and I completely agree with him. Just because they are not implementing what we want right now, doesn't mean it was pointless.

I know these are the days of "I want it now!" but a little patience is no bad thing, mainly for the reasons he points out. Even though I highly doubt I will be around in another 15 years or so, which means I won't get to see the really good VR stuff, I completely understand their point of view, and I'm happy to have what I have (having started with monochrome 8bit in my early 20's) right now. Would it be great to have better? Sure would - but that doesn't mean I expect it tomorrow - even if they asked me what I would like to have.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2