Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’ — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,421 Valuable Player

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2ZEErigdYwTjqaIsGV2PTt_Q04-gkT315Q8

P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,811 Valuable Player
    edited April 23
    if oculus do not want to make a rift 2 that is their prerogative etc etc etc, they are the ones with the money to lose and it is easy for us to play fast and loose with other companies money....
    However there is some cognitive dissonance going on there imo. I feel they are blowing smoke up our asses to be honest.
    Why would a rift 2 break anything that is in rift 1, even if they are talking some major new features.
    unless this mythical rift 2 had a MISSING feature from rift 1 then it could be made backwards compatible... and developers would have the option of making any totally new features on the new headset optional.
    Increased resolution, increased FOV or eye tracking... all features which could be turned off or turned on at will
    and then throwing in full body tracking and what not in the mix is just sh*ting in the water to make it cloudy imo.... (again even if it was a thing it would surely only ever be an optional extra).
    But put a pin in that one.. something tells me not having full body tracking wont be a blocker for releasing a new HMD in the future (ie i reckon oculus WILL release a new HMD before full tracking is a thing)

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,320 Valuable Player
    edited April 23
    Interesting they are asking the question well what is a Rift 2?
    When they revealed almost a year ago what they were already working on with Half Dome, which had all appearances of some nice features that might be in a Rift 2.

I am sure their strategy makes the most sense for Oculus and what they are trying to achieve for VR. But I am still very disappointed, they added a little for the Rift S but also took away some for the Rift S.
    A little better resolution.
    A little better FOV.
    A little better audio.
    Same or better tracking.
    I would have been all over it anxiously awaiting to press the buy button.

I "may" still buy one in addition to whichever other headset I get that meets more of what I want, but won't have much excitement in doing so. I suspect the majority of flight and racing sim enthusiasts ( of which I am one) will likely go with another headset this time around. But yes we are the small (and loud) minority...

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,421 Valuable Player
    We have said in other discussions on this matter that any electronics company has a series of prototypes in development - the automotive industry is a great example of wheeling out concept cars that "may or may not" ever see the light of day as a product. That OculusVR did this with Half-Dome may have backfired more than they expected when they decided to abandon actually releasing this straight away, and placing any CV2 (or Rift2) on hiatus, while they focus on Standalone.

The question will be is the Rift-S enough of an improvement to keep the PC VR community loyal to OculusVR for whatever time it will take before they get a real Rift2?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited April 23
    I think it will splinter the PC-VR community for Oculus, in fact it already has been splintering. The Oculus community that uses the Rift primarily for Oculus experiences and games will likely go with Rift S and stay with Oculus for the foreseeable future.

The smaller Oculus PC-VR community that is more interested in non - Oculus games, primarily flight and racing sim types and likely some space game types, the majority will probably go with another brand this time around. Many of these are the ones that spend some bucks on higher end equipment to include beefy PC's and expensive controllers. They want a good headset to compliment that for these sims they spend the bulk of their gaming time in. This group typically has no problem spending more for a VR headset, but again this is a very small minority. I myself would have no problem spending 800-1,000 USD for a good headset that has more of what I want.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,727 Valuable Player
    edited April 23

I think we should keep in mind that the PC VR community comprises of present users and potential future users.

Personally I don't see loyalty as anywhere near as important as growing the industry as a whole. If the product sells well , then additional loyalty follows.

It's great to focus on customer loyalty if a company has a large market but no PC VR company does right now, not even Oculus with its 50% PC VR share, as it's a small percentage of potential users.  Let's face it, loyalty at the moment means loyalty of enthusiasts. Build the industry first, then worry about loyalty.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,593 Valuable Player
    if oculus do not want to make a rift 2 that is their prerogative etc etc etc, they are the ones with the money to lose and it is easy for us to play fast and loose with other companies money....
    However there is some cognitive dissonance going on there imo. I feel they are blowing smoke up our asses to be honest.
    Why would a rift 2 break anything that is in rift 1, even if they are talking some major new features.
    unless this mythical rift 2 had a MISSING feature from rift 1 then it could be made backwards compatible... and developers would have the option of making any totally new features on the new headset optional.
    Increased resolution, increased FOV or eye tracking... all features which could be turned off or turned on at will
    and then throwing in full body tracking and what not in the mix is just sh*ting in the water to make it cloudy imo.... (again even if it was a thing it would surely only ever be an optional extra).
    But put a pin in that one.. something tells me not having full body tracking wont be a blocker for releasing a new HMD in the future (ie i reckon oculus WILL release a new HMD before full tracking is a thing)

He also said pretty much that having all of the Half Dome prototype features in a headset would result in an $800+ headset (paraphrasing and reading between the lines a bit).

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:

He also said pretty much that having all of the Half Dome prototype features in a headset would result in an $800+ headset (paraphrasing and reading between the lines a bit).

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)
    Not a chance - IMHO of course.

Don

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    edited April 23
    snowdog said:

Not to mention that the crowd that would be able to put a rig together that will run  4k res / 200 fov with maxed settings is limited.
     To top it, most of those persons are flight/racing sim enthusiasts. So more money for gear needed here.

Oculus is just playing it safe. A "cheap" highend hmd wouldn´t work for a wider market just yet.
    Be good, die great !
    edited April 23
    KlodsBrik said:
    snowdog said:

Not to mention that the crowd that would be able to put a rig together that will run  4k res / 200 fov with maxed settings is limited.
     To top it, most of those persons are flight/racing sim enthusiasts. So more money for gear needed here.

Oculus is just playing it safe. A "cheap" highend hmd wouldn´t work for a wider market just yet.
    Well I would be in that crowd, but I certainly was not hoping for true 4k nor a 200 degree FOV.
    I don't even consider Pimax a worthy contender for what I want. I know there are limits with today's technology.
    Don

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    Well I would be in that crowd, but I certainly was not hoping for true 4k nor a 200 degree FOV.
    I don't even consider Pimax a worthy contender for what I want. I know there are limits with today's technology.
    I might have exagurated quite a bit just to make sure everyone understood my message.
     Im in that range as well. I would love to see it, but understand that if the market for these hmd´s are maxed at 40k-80k units, it might not be worth it from a buisness kind of perspective if ones goal is to make vr affordable for everyone.
    Be good, die great !
    snowdog said:

Oh, so that "we will defiantly see CV2 in 2021"! has changed again - wow what a roller-coaster  B)

Anyway, on another note - someone in the closed Oculus Facebook dev forum just threw this image into the mix, not remembering that it came from 2013:

How many here remember this original leak?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,471 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 23
    If Oculus doesn’t feel that their next-gen features are ready for prime time, that’s fine; they’re the only ones in a position to judge that. I agree that they need to maintain full backwards and forward compatibility, and keep the price in a reasonable range. An $800 headset at this point is going to have a hard time gaining traction. I don’t object to a minor refresh to update the specs a little in the meantime, and I was prepared to buy it on release based on my satisfaction with their previous products.

My disappointment stems from the decision to abandon features that were considered important when they released CV1. They put a stake in the ground and declared that it must be usable by everyone comfortably. Now, they’re saying that if your IPD is more than a few millimetres outside of the average, this might not be the headset for you. The head strap might be more comfortable, and it might accommodate glasses better, but that means nothing to me if I can’t get the lenses in the right place in front of my eyes. A single screen and fixed lenses are trade-offs I can accept in a $200 3dof device that I use to watch media, but I think it’s a lousy choice for their flagship PCVR headset, especially when it leaves behind a part of their user base who are already invested in their ecosystem.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited April 23
    So many people were complaining that Oculus had said nothing about a Rift CV2 and how we were left in uncertainty about whether Oculus would even bother developing PCVR etc etc etc and now we have the information (that one will be coming, but not right now) people are still whinging and trying to tell them how they should be doing it (usually whilst denying they are doing so).

Whilst everyone can dream about what they would like to have - why not just look at what's available, make your choice and be satisfied. If it isn't up to what you want - don't buy it. If it is, happy days!

If I had a quid for all the posts I've seen from people who basically tell dev's - hard or software - how they should be doing it, or that they are doing it wrong, I'd have enough to buy every headset on the market this year! And then some...

I wonder if those people are good - or even just competent - at their own jobs?

PS - before people start getting all offended - this is a general statement and not aimed at any particular poster here ;)

dburne said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    snowdog said:

The CV2 will be 4K resolution, but a 140 degree FOV with eye tracking and foveated rendering. Not sure if it'll have the varifocal feature though, they might keep that for the CV2 S.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

JD-UK said:
    If I had a quid for all the posts I've seen from people who basically tell dev's - hard or software - how they should be doing it, or that they are doing it wrong, I'd have enough to buy every headset on the market this year! And then some...

PS - before people start getting all offended - this is a general statement and not aimed at any particular poster here ;)

No offence taken JD-UK - some valid points.

But to be frank, as most of these devs have gone out of their way to "ask" the community for feedback - look we have OculusVR stating that they "want to hear from the community and add their feedback to the final release" [paraphrased] - so you cant really blame the community for venting.

Its the old issue of those that thought they understood the direction being taken from the scraps of information supplied from the captain, only to learn that the ship has changed direction as the captain waves bye bye from the adrift lifeboat!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Oh, so that "we will defiantly see CV2 in 2021"! has changed again - wow what a roller-coaster  B)

Anyway, on another note - someone in the closed Oculus Facebook dev forum just threw this image into the mix, not remembering that it came from 2013:

How many here remember this original leak?

If I've ever said 2021 it was a typo. I've always said 2019 and 2022 as far as I remember.

snowdog said:
    If I've ever said 2021 it was a typo. I've always said 2019 and 2022 as far as I remember.

Okay thanks for the clarification  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    JD-UK said:

But to be frank, as most of these devs have gone out of their way to "ask" the community for feedback - look we have OculusVR stating that they "want to hear from the community and add their feedback to the final release" [paraphrased] - so you cant really blame the community for venting.

Its the old issue of those that thought they understood the direction being taken from the scraps of information supplied from the captain, only to learn that the ship has changed direction as the captain waves bye bye from the adrift lifeboat!
    Describes how I feel about the Rift S in a nutshell.
    Don

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    JD-UK said:

I think his explanation made perfect sense and I completely agree with him. Just because they are not implementing what we want right now, doesn't mean it was pointless.

I know these are the days of "I want it now!" but a little patience is no bad thing, mainly for the reasons he points out. Even though I highly doubt I will be around in another 15 years or so, which means I won't get to see the really good VR stuff, I completely understand their point of view, and I'm happy to have what I have (having started with monochrome 8bit in my early 20's) right now. Would it be great to have better? Sure would - but that doesn't mean I expect it tomorrow - even if they asked me what I would like to have.

edited April 23
    Thanks @JD-UK ; - I have noticed a little bit of revisionism going on following this article. For a time on the Facebook Oculus forum, and others - there had been a continuing, "oh you just wait and see CV2 will be out sooner than you think!" Now with this statement its all "oh we knew this was the situation, and never expected to see CV2 till much later..." - there was one poster that claimed it was scheduled for Q2 2020!! I think the hyperbole is the biggest draw back to this latest phase of VR adoption for me. Some have built their expectations up to unfathomable heights. 

I just wonder, as it is suggested that a good chunk of the R&D team on Half-Dome and other projects left with the previous ex-CEO of Oculus; who is actually working on this eye-tracked, full FOV, 4k headset that will be coming out in 2021-22? Is this something they could do in partnership with Microsoft, or Samsung, or their new partners Lenovo? Or is this a partnership with Xiaomi, especially as Oculus Go has sold well in China?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,998 Valuable Player
    Am pretty sure most of Snowdogs dates are said with some fun in mind no one here really knows what is coming and when unless oculus themselves announced it.

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • foldalefoldale Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    I think it will splinter the PC-VR community for Oculus, in fact it already has been splintering. The Oculus community that uses the Rift primarily for Oculus experiences and games will likely go with Rift S and stay with Oculus for the foreseeable future.

The smaller Oculus PC-VR community that is more interested in non - Oculus games, primarily flight and racing sim types and likely some space game types, the majority will probably go with another brand this time around. Many of these are the ones that spend some bucks on higher end equipment to include beefy PC's and expensive controllers. They want a good headset to compliment that for these sims they spend the bulk of their gaming time in. This group typically has no problem spending more for a VR headset, but again this is a very small minority. I myself would have no problem spending 800-1,000 USD for a good headset that has more of what I want.

I agree! I would have stayed with the OCULUS even with the marginal upgrades with the Rift S the biggest issue I have is what they took away (Mechanical IPD). They basically forced me to go else where - what a stupid move. I will be hard pressed to come back to OCULUS as a result
    vannagirl said:
    Am pretty sure most of Snowdogs dates are said with some fun in mind no one here really knows what is coming and when unless oculus themselves announced it.

Thanks @vannagirl - yes I know most of snowdogs comments at the time were more in "jest"! - but I was referring more to the Facebook forums, and a number of Reddit fans. To be frank, OculusVR has been very quiet, more happy to let the speculation promote the platform than confirm or reject speculation. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    vannagirl said:

Actually I've been pretty confident about the dates since I was posting my predictions. I originally predicted the CV2 in 2019 because that would have meant a lifespan of 3 years for their headsets. Then when it appeared to not be happening I said 2020 because leaving it any longer (more than a 4 year lifespan) would be madness.

Turns out I was right about the 3 year lifespan and by not providing a 'proper' CV2 this year it looks like they're following the Tick Tock model.

Almost everything I've said about these future headsets is based on common sense and based on manufacturing models used by other companies.

2016 CV1 Tock

2019 CV1 S Tick

2022 CV2 Tock

2025 CV2 S Tick

My predictions on the releases by HTC are also based on common sense too:

2016 Vive

2018 Vive Pro

2020 Vive Cosmos

2022 Next Vive HMD

I can't see HTC releasing the Cosmos this year because that would make it three headsets released by them in three years which would just be crazy, particularly considering their financial position during the last few years. Launching these things isn't cheap.

I've also predicted that HTC will either go bust or get bought out on the verge of going bust before the end of this year too, so we might not even see the Vive Cosmos being released at all.  :o

edited April 23
    Impressive @snowdog !
    Does for OculusVR the GearVR and GO fit into your ticking?
    And does for HTC, the Focus and Vive Pro Eye?

Edit:....hey wait a minute, it was last year you said "HTC is going to go bust by the end of the year, defiantly" [paraphrasing] !!!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    Impressive @snowdog !
    Does for OculusVR the GearVR and GO fit into your ticking?
    And does for HTC, the Focus and Vive Pro Eye?

Edit:....hey wait a minute, it was last year you said "HTC is going to go bust by the end of the year, defiantly" [paraphrasing] !!!

We'll probably see the Tick Tock model being followed by all Oculus headsets going forward I think. Bear in mind also that we'll also see features and tech for all three product lines being shared across them too. We've already seen this with the Go and Rift S.

When the CV2 does eventually arrive we probably won't see those features featuring down for a while because the likes of eye tracking and foveated rendering will be too expensive to filter down until they can get production costs down enough to make it viable at lower price points for their two mobile product lines.

As for HTC it's difficult to tell what the fuck they're doing because right from the start ALL of their VR headset development and product has been a bit of a joke, refusing to learn from the exact same mistakes they've made in the past with their mobile division.

All of their headsets so far have been too expensive and the Vive was clearly rushed to market. The Vive Pro was also a bad idea - yes, a higher resolution display was a good idea but what idiot thought that keeping the same crappy lenses was the correct decision? And the Vive Focus? Too expensive AGAIN and only released in the Far East so far. Honestly, I'm not expecting the Vive Cosmos to be any good either. There's bound to be SOMETHING wrong with it, even if it's just the purchase price. :o

And it won't be long before they start to lose traction in the enterprise sector too now that Oculus have started dipping their toes in.

It's a shame because I've always liked HTC, I used their mobile phones for YEARS but had to stop because - no prize for guessing correctly - they were just too damn expensive.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,540 Valuable Player
    Well I for one am not a fan of the Rift S direction.
    i am still very happy with my CV1 if it breaks I guess I will have to look elsewhere.
    Until then its still game on.
    WAAAGH!
    I can't comment about the mess of HTC, as one that has to deal with them in their primary market of Enterprise, I just feel for the consumer buyers! But I do think you may be allowing your "bias" to color your objectivity - for all the mess, they have still survived this long.... how long they survive after Index's release, that is another matter.

I think the "toe" that was dipped by OculusVR my be being removed @snowdog - the companies that did use CV1's in their Enterprise offerings are not enticed to replace their hardware for Rift-S (now supply is dead) - and Quest is not practical, so they may have shot their BE operation in the foot - but lets wait till Rift-S appears before I line up the firing squad.

I really think HTC will try and go up against Rift-S with Cosmos (access to SteamVR will be important) - while Valve flanks both with Index (not forgetting HP and Reverb which is turning a lot of heads in the short term). Its such a small market to fight over - why I think Facebook VR are being smart to focus on Quest - just a shame they are not doing it with Samsung (that will come round to bite them!)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,061 Valuable Player
    edited April 23
    dburne said:
    Interesting they are asking the question well what is a Rift 2?
    When they revealed almost a year ago what they were already working on with Half Dome, which had all appearances of some nice features that might be in a Rift 2.

I am sure their strategy makes the most sense for Oculus and what they are trying to achieve for VR. But I am still very disappointed, they added a little for the Rift S but also took away some for the Rift S.
    A little better resolution.
    A little better FOV.
    A little better audio.
    Same or better tracking.
    I would have been all over it anxiously awaiting to press the buy button.

I "may" still buy one in addition to whichever other headset I get that meets more of what I want, but won't have much excitement in doing so. I suspect the majority of flight and racing sim enthusiasts ( of which I am one) will likely go with another headset this time around. But yes we are the small (and loud) minority...

@dburne - I've seen of few of your posts saying the same thing about Rift -S. Have you watched hands on reviews of the Rift -S? I don't understand why you keep writing the same thing about Rift -S when the hands on reviews say different. 

1) It does have a better resolution then CV1 and the reviews say it is very noticeable. The Lcd display also reduces screen door and uses 3 pixels instead of 2 pixels. All hands on reviews say it is a lot better then CV1 and a much sharper image.

2) Oculus have said they are doing headphones for Rift -S, which may be included so audio will be fine.

3) The tracking according to hands on reviews is very good and without the need for sensors.