cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

Interesting they are asking the question well what is a Rift 2?
When they revealed almost a year ago what they were already working on with Half Dome, which had all appearances of some nice features that might be in a Rift 2.

I am sure their strategy makes the most sense for Oculus and what they are trying to achieve for VR. But I am still very disappointed, they added a little for the Rift S but also took away some for the Rift S.
A little better resolution.
A little better FOV.
A little better audio.
Same or better tracking.
I would have been all over it anxiously awaiting to press the buy button.

I "may" still buy one in addition to whichever other headset I get that meets more of what I want, but won't have much excitement in doing so. I suspect the majority of flight and racing sim enthusiasts ( of which I am one) will likely go with another headset this time around. But yes we are the small (and loud) minority...

@dburne - I've seen of few of your posts saying the same thing about Rift -S. Have you watched hands on reviews of the Rift -S? I don't understand why you keep writing the same thing about Rift -S when the hands on reviews say different. 

1) It does have a better resolution then CV1 and the reviews say it is very noticeable. The Lcd display also reduces screen door and uses 3 pixels instead of 2 pixels. All hands on reviews say it is a lot better then CV1 and a much sharper image.

2) Oculus have said they are doing headphones for Rift -S, which may be included so audio will be fine.

3) The tracking according to hands on reviews is very good and without the need for sensors.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:.

It's a shame because I've always liked HTC, I used their mobile phones for YEARS but had to stop because - no prize for guessing correctly - they were just too damn expensive.

That surprises me - I only ever heard of them once, when I bought one of their phones in Tesco - and it the cheapest "smartphone" on offer.

I binned it within a couple of weeks because, in fact, it wasn't a smartphone at all - far from it, in any sense of the word.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

I can't comment about the mess of HTC, as one that has to deal with them in their primary market of Enterprise, I just feel for the consumer buyers! But I do think you may be allowing your "bias" to color your objectivity - for all the mess, they have still survived this long.... how long they survive after Index's release, that is another matter.

I think the "toe" that was dipped by OculusVR my be being removed @snowdog - the companies that did use CV1's in their Enterprise offerings are not enticed to replace their hardware for Rift-S (now supply is dead) - and Quest is not practical, so they may have shot their BE operation in the foot - but lets wait till Rift-S appears before I line up the firing squad.

I really think HTC will try and go up against Rift-S with Cosmos (access to SteamVR will be important) - while Valve flanks both with Index (not forgetting HP and Reverb which is turning a lot of heads in the short term). Its such a small market to fight over - why I think Facebook VR are being smart to focus on Quest - just a shame they are not doing it with Samsung (that will come round to bite them!)

They've survived this long because they were rescued from bankruptcy by selling their mobile division. And even after that lifeline they had to make 20% of their workforce redundant. 😮

They're losing money hand over fist and have been doing for quite some time now. Their enterprise VR sector is the only thing keeping them afloat at the moment.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Yeah @snowdog - I was very aware of the $3b that Google invested into them for access to the mobile division patents and also operation team for their 5G aspirations (was also aware how much of that cash went into paying debts!!)

Wow - that's the first time I have seen it admitted that its their Enterprise team that generates their operational revenue in VR. It has been true since mid 2017, but for some reason no one liked mentioning the fact. Thats why that SteamVR chart may be skewed as most units in Enterprise do not use that service!!!

Also its interesting to know how many Focus Pros have been sold into our sector! Looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison with a Quest.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

dburne said:

Interesting they are asking the question well what is a Rift 2?
When they revealed almost a year ago what they were already working on with Half Dome, which had all appearances of some nice features that might be in a Rift 2.

I am sure their strategy makes the most sense for Oculus and what they are trying to achieve for VR. But I am still very disappointed, they added a little for the Rift S but also took away some for the Rift S.
A little better resolution.
A little better FOV.
A little better audio.
Same or better tracking.
I would have been all over it anxiously awaiting to press the buy button.

I "may" still buy one in addition to whichever other headset I get that meets more of what I want, but won't have much excitement in doing so. I suspect the majority of flight and racing sim enthusiasts ( of which I am one) will likely go with another headset this time around. But yes we are the small (and loud) minority...

@dburne - I've seen of few of your posts saying the same thing about Rift -S. Have you watched hands on reviews of the Rift -S? I don't understand why you keep writing the same thing about Rift -S when the hands on reviews say different. 

1) It does have a better resolution then CV1 and the reviews say it is very noticeable. The Lcd display also reduces screen door and uses 3 pixels instead of 2 pixels. All hands on reviews say it is a lot better then CV1 and a much sharper image.

2) Oculus have said they are doing headphones for Rift -S, which may be included so audio will be fine.

3) The tracking according to hands on reviews is very good and without the need for sensors.

Well we shall see, will be interesting when normal everyday users get their hands on them.
You have a source for Oculus change of audio for the S?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:
Well we shall see, will be interesting when normal everyday users get their hands on them.

Yep

>"In that token, third-party manufacturers would be able to make their own aftermarket audio add-ons too; it all just depends on how much demand there is from new Rift S owners, something Oculus (or the market) will probably figure out when the headset launches this spring."

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:

Yep

>"In that token, third-party manufacturers would be able to make their own aftermarket audio add-ons too; it all just depends on how much demand there is from new Rift S owners, something Oculus (or the market) will probably figure out when the headset launches this spring."

Well it also says Oculus "might" do so.
Not quite saying they are doing headphones for the Rift S.

Guess we just wait for launch and folks to get them in hand to find out more. Not sure reviews based on 10 min at GDC are going to be quite as in depth as I would hope for.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

The day you see a definitive, confirmed statement from them - please share, as they favor the "mushroom" school of information circulation - but you know that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:

The day you see a definitive, confirmed statement from them - please share, as they favor the "mushroom" school of information circulation - but you know that!

Lol yeah very true.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:

Yep

Guess we just wait for launch and folks to get them in hand to find out more. Not sure reviews based on 10 min at GDC are going to be quite as in depth as I would hope for.

All of the members of the press and YouTubers had at least 1 hour at the private GDC event, one of them (the MRTV bloke) had 2 hours. This is why I'm not too concerned about the software IPD adjustment, people with IPDs at both extremes played for an hour without experiencing any problems.