cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAMES WON'T UPDATE

thickbeard
Explorer
I have a reoccuring problem of games needing an update, but it won't install the update. It downloads the update file, but once it goes into install mode it cancels. I click the update button again, same thing, it downloads the file but cancels on install. 

I just reinstalled Oculus. Still won't work. This happened to me a couple months ago and I deleted everything on my computer and reinstalled oculus to get it to work. I really don't want to do that again. 
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beware that manually moving them by cut/paste could render them un-downloadable on that drive on that account again. A "Move" Game Files via Oculus Desktop could possibly work but test it on a unplayed game as a sacrifice. Or try creating a 2nd MS User Account and see what is possible then as suggested above. Unless the CMD commands are found to fix the Juncture.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the issue is a corrupted User Account (I and Support think it is) then here's 2 methods that may be much better at fixing it properly. I have not tested either!
https://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

Genericat
Expert Protege
Fixed my prob by uninstalling and reinstalling the app in question.

Worm777
Explorer

SJD1969 said:

Fixed my prob by uninstalling and reinstalling the app in question.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Elite Dangerous last week because it wouldn't update. It was running fine....until today because there is a new update. Grrrrr…..I'm not going to uninstall and reinstall every time a game updates. 

Are we sure this issue is because of a corrupted user account? I'll just bite the bullet and reinstall windows if that is the case. I just don't understand why it only effects Oculus and only certain apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Elite Updated but is a huge mess with stutter and smears even after dropping from SSx1.5 to SSx1 and verified and rebooted. Virtual Desktop won't Update and I have 4 others on my C: Drive I do not want there and can't be moved else I can't download them.
I'd ignore the fix for Users Antivirus as I just use Windows Defender as stock fresh install. It seems to have messed up from finding my access to the drive from the previous install and I the Programs that it affects are those trying to install prerequisite C++2015 however it had C++2017 preinstalled which they knew nothing about. At that point the Updates failed. Oculus are not good at looking at Logs to bother investigating and suggest the new MS User Account without any full means to transfer all your installs!
The permissions for that User Account need to be reinstated for 2nd Drive but how?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wondering if the issue is due to me using exact same name on a fresh OS install in which previous access was existing to my 2nd Drive. Therefore a new User Account would open up access.

CoW
Honored Guest
i have this issue too, anyone got it fixed yet 

Anonymous
Not applicable
YUP! It's due to Windows Permissions. Creating another User Profile didn't work.
What you must do is REMOVE/REINSTALL OCULUS (ideally to not recur again) TO 2nd DRIVE

Please note that this removes
any currently eligible games from having automated refunds processed. You can
look into requesting refunds, and what's accepted for such by clicking here.

Disconnect your computer from the internet.

Backup any necessary content. (GAME SAVES & KEY BINDS!!!)

·        
You can find steps on how to do so by clicking
here

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:

·        
C:\Program Files

6a.   
Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:

·        
These may be hidden folders that require viewing to be
enabled.

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

·        
C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

·        
C:\Users<profile>\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup\

6b   Delete any Games and also all their Folders you can find in the same mentioned

6c   Use REGSCANNER (free) to search "Oculus" and delete all registries that it can (leave Steam & SteamVR) but leave Virtual Desktop alone (mine won't work after 2 further installs and deleting some of it's Registries!)

Restart your computer in normal mode.

Reconnect your computer to the internet.

Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our
website here

10.  Install Games/Apps

·        
Ensure that Oculus is set as a trusted program in your
firewall (automatic) and that your anti-virus is temporarily disabled (I use Defender) or uninstalled. I added steps 6b and 6c myself to be sure.

i.e. THERE IS NO FIX FOR OCULUS DIRECTING YOUR INSTALL ONTO YOUR OS DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, to install OCULUS to 2nd DRIVE:

Open CMD Prompt in "Run"
Go to directory of your Setup file e.g. "E:/"
"cd Downloads"
(whatever the directory is called you have it in)
"OculusSetup.exe /drive=E"

CoW
Honored Guest
thanks , im with a ticket atm. if it fails to get me anywhere, il try those steps.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
Obviously there is nothing wrong with our Systems - it is the fault of OCULUS UPDATES if installed to OS Drive.