cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Ok I think know what billiards is unless it is completely different in America so how would you play normally as it wouldn't see your hand on the back of the cue?

Mind you its a pretty weird game to be playing in VR but interesting though.

uzdeslhql0tg.png

I think the controller will probably be tracked in the position shown here. The side camera is forward of his face and points a little back, and the ring on the controller is in front of his hand. It's possible that it could be occluded by his shoulder, but when I hold my hand in pool cue position, it seems like there would still be a direct line of sight from the side of the headset.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

if oculus do not want to make a rift 2 that is their prerogative etc etc etc, they are the ones with the money to lose

Money to lose? lol - have you not been paying attention to all the money being lost by those who keep trying to focus on just high-end headsets? Do you not remember HTC selling to Google to avoid bankruptcy? Do you not remember people making fun of Facebook-Oculus for not hitting their "1 billion units sold" mark?

You have it backwards. Facebook and Oculus are tired of losing money, so they are putting high-end hardware on pause until they start making money.

I think he was saying that Oculus are the ones who would be putting their money on the line if they blew the wad on a high-end headset like HTC did with Vive Pro. In other words, he's agreeing that making a Rift 2 would be a financial risk.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:
I think he was saying that Oculus are the ones who would be putting their money on the line if they blew the wad on a high-end headset like HTC did with Vive Pro. In other words, he's agreeing that making a Rift 2 would be a financial risk.

I read it different, but I guess Mr. Mike can clarify!

I would agree that there is more to lose by going for a Rift 2 now, based on what the market as shown over the last 3 years. But I read his comment as Oculus risking a lose by "not focusing" on a Rift 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That Ronnie O'Sullivan video is genuine I think.

I would laugh at it but I've come VERY close to leaning on surfaces and placing my Touch controllers on surfaces myself in VR so I can't judge lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

Haven't gone arse over tit though...YET 😄

Luciferous
Consultant
hmm not convinced, if you look at this video the hand is under the chest a lot. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk3lJgC8NI

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't think we need video evidence for billards/pool. I'm sure everyone has a ball, a stick, and a table at home. Just try it lol

I played it for years back in college and the position changes based on the situation. Between the cameras and the tracking algorithm in the software, I feel confident (based on other video evidence of the Rift-S tracking outside of camera view) that this is all a non-issue.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk3lJgC8NI

Granted, using a pool cue is a bit of an edge case. It may mean that you can't lean in quite as far, but I find I don't do that anyway, since I can't put my weight on the (virtual) table. It still seems to me that line-of-sight is mostly maintained unless I'm in a really extreme position. The fact that you can walk through the table should mean that those positions are not typically necessary to line up your shot.

Luciferous
Consultant
Its a non issue for me as well as I have no intention of playing VR billiards or owning a Rift S lol.

Nekto2
Superstar

Why would a rift 2 break anything that is in rift 1, even if they are talking some major new features.

Because you will get bigger score in BeatSabber with Rift2? :lol:

ps. But there is split with DK2 and Rift+xbox users (without touch) or 9xx with 10xx/20xx video card users.

Nekto2
Superstar

We'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 for $600. Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time  B)
Not a chance - IMHO of course.

Then we will have VR Experience of 2022 with CV2 inside!

🙂