which 5 meter usb 3.0 extension cable is best for sensor oculus rift? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

which 5 meter usb 3.0 extension cable is best for sensor oculus rift?

MrPark94MrPark94 Posts: 144
Hiro Protagonist
Hi Guys i was wandering do al high speed usb 3.0 extension cables work for the sensor of the rift.

I read that the cable matters is a good one.. but it is only max 3M and i need 5.

I live in the netherlands..  i saw this one...

https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-30-kabel/4545/1162801/usb-30-verlengkabel.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAg5_CBRDo4o6e4o3NtG0SJAB-IatYHsv_znCAbqfymqB9l-I2-PzSicHk1Uv-KMNghWIcJBoC1FHw_wcB

It is a High speed cable.. but do you think its a good one for the sensor.. or if you guys have a tip.. that is certain to work.

Thx in advance!

Comments

• BlueFireMegaCoasterBlueFireMegaCoaster Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi! Did you ever buy the cable you linked? I'm looking for a cable as well to be able to wallmount my sensors.
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    You need an active extender cable like this one from Amazon, i believe. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=CableCreation+(Long+16FT)+Super+Speed+Active+USB+3.0+Extension+Cable

I think it needs to be able to draw power and keep the voltage constant or something. I use one of those and no problems.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Somewhere here on the forum, I'm sure Cybereality has recommended one

Edit - a search brought this one up:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/55371/the-best-5m-usb-3-0-extension-cable-i-have-tested-so-far

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Buy a uGreen active 5m one.
    I got a 5 and a 10m one and they are perfect
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    If you order an extra sensor from Oculus, it comes with a 5m Monoprice Active 2.0 cable, so I guess they are approved and certified OK by Oculus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-16-Feet-Extension-Repeater-108751/dp/B009GUTFX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533667918&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+active+usb

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited August 2018
    Really? That must be new - I didn't get one with my extra sensor :(

edit: ah - your box etc looks nothing like the one I got (which was direct from Oculus).

Brixmis said:
    Really? That must be new - I didn't get one with my extra sensor :(

edit: ah - your box etc looks nothing like the one I got (which was direct from Oculus).
    Mine was direct from Oculus too, when did you get yours?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,871 Volunteer Moderator
    Mine was direct from Oculus and came with the cable shown above. I don't use it though, I have all my sensors on USB 3.0, with two of them connected through 5m Cable Creations active USB 3.0 extensions.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited August 2018
    I can't find the receipt just now, but I think it was January this year. That's when I set up my VR room, so it was probably then. I'll let you know when I find the receipt (I always keep them, so I'm mystified why I can't find this one).

Edit: Very weird - it isn't listed in my Oculus account purchase history, either :/

No - had a good look through and can't find it anywhere. Very puzzled.

We got one sensor with the Rift, right? Did we get a second one included with Touch, when it was sold separately from the Rift? If so, that will explain it.

edited August 2018
    Brixmis said:
    I can't find the receipt just now, but I think it was January this year. That's when I set up my VR room, so it was probably then. I'll let you know when I find the receipt (I always keep them, so I'm mystified why I can't find this one).

Edit: Very weird - it isn't listed in my Oculus account purchase history, either :/

No - had a good look through and can't find it anywhere. Very puzzled.

We got one sensor with the Rift, right? Did we get a second one included with Touch, when it was sold separately from the Rift? If so, that will explain it.
    Ahhhh, that makes more sense, one sensor when you had the Original Rift .. then one came with touch (no extension cable) if you buy a 3rd sensor you get the extension cable included.

Yeah - it's me being an old duffer again - I didn't even realise that I only have two sensors until I looked at them to see what extensions they had! D'oh! :(

• GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 440
    Trinity
    +1 for the CableCreation Active 16ft cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I have tried 3 different active 5-meter cables for sensors and headsets and this one is the most reliable for the price. I now have 3 of them being used in my setup. 
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • alan.li.7902alan.li.7902 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have also tried Newnex USB 3.0 active extension cable for up to 50 ft. https://www.newnex.com/usb-3-active-cable-a-to-a-female.php