cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Try that again. He didn't say "you can play normally" he said "let you play billiard normally." Do you not know what billiard is? He also said, "Not backhanders tho." Do you know what it means to be a backhander in billiards? I'm guessing you don't know what it means to play billiards; else you would not have thought that he contradicted himself.

so i guess the problem is i was talking about sportsbar VR a pool game.  bar billiards in the UK at least AFAIK the cue is held in the same way but i do not know for sure..... and no, not heard of the term backhander...... well i have.... but not in this context. A backhander to me is something i may give to a bouncer to let me jump the queue in a club, or to get a dodgy building past planning permission.

the images which followed now i see what you mean by backhander and i must admit it is not a problem for me, i do not play like that...... but as for the tracking on a more conventional stance, i would love to see, mainly because this is an area where windows MR epically fails (or did anyway, and i am not sure how it could be fixed).... it would be an easy demonstrable win to show better tracking of the rift S if they showed it running properly - albeit maybe without Ronnie falling on his ass.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

nalex66 said:
I think he was saying that Oculus are the ones who would be putting their money on the line if they blew the wad on a high-end headset like HTC did with Vive Pro. In other words, he's agreeing that making a Rift 2 would be a financial risk.

I read it different, but I guess Mr. Mike can clarify!

I would agree that there is more to lose by going for a Rift 2 now, based on what the market as shown over the last 3 years. But I read his comment as Oculus risking a lose by "not focusing" on a Rift 2.

@zenbane @Nalex66 is correct. I was conceding that it is them who are risking the money and so if they dont want to make one then that is fair enough imo...... BUT I was saying their excuses in that specific interview was poor.  If they dont want to make one because there is no profit in it, that is fine.
but not making one because an improved rift would break backwards compatibility and that there is no body tracking, or because some people disagree about what it means to improve a HMD is a nonsense reason imo because it is just not true - or doesnt need to be true at least.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Try that again. He didn't say "you can play normally" he said "let you play billiard normally." Do you not know what billiard is? He also said, "Not backhanders tho." Do you know what it means to be a backhander in billiards? I'm guessing you don't know what it means to play billiards; else you would not have thought that he contradicted himself.

so i guess the problem is i was talking about sportsbar VR a pool game.  bar billiards in the UK at least AFAIK the cue is held in the same way.... and no, not heard of the term backhander...... well i have.... but not in this context. A backhander to me is something i may give to a bouncer to let me jump the queue in a club, or to get a dodgy building past planning permission.

Is that like a reach-around? I don't think I've wanted to get into a club enough to do that...  😉

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

but not making one because an improved rift would break backwards compatibility and that there is no body tracking, or because some people disagree about what it means to improve a HMD is a nonsense reason imo because it is just not true - or doesnt need to be true at least.

I disagree here. I believe that the term "Gen 2" has been tossed around far too loosely. Just because black levels are improved, SDE is decreased, FOV is increased, etc... doesn't make it a Gen 2. Those are nominal upgrades to only one aspect of VR: the visual component of the HMD. A true Gen 2 brings so much more to the table (VR Gloves, Body Tracking, Eye Tracking).

So what Facebook is talking about is a true Gen 2, whereas you think it is nonsense because what you believe to be a Gen 2 isn't really Gen 2. The Vive Pro, Pimax 5K/8K, and HP Reverb are NOT Gen 2. They are all  1.x

Luciferous
Consultant
I'll be glad when its the 1st of May, conversations are getting a little pedantic. I found myself getting involved in a billiards argument lol.   

saami81
Rising Star
Not sure how accurate this will be in reality, but it is something to look at.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
1st of May is release? Ah - hadn't seen a release date so that's good to know - now I can stop checking Amazon n times a day (had another look before coming here...) to see what it will cost and what's with it or available for it (i.e. extra 'phones?).

I won't be buying direct from Oculus this time - Amazon has a better return service if I don't like it.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
We will soon see if it's a good idea to make a cheaper headset or a more expensive one. We need another year to see how many headsets the Rift -S has sold compared to the Valve index, which I suspect is going to cost more. It's only then that Oculus will decide if it's time to bring out a headset that cost the same as a Valve index.

Oculus have nothing to lose by playing the cheaper & more expensive headset game. They could just bring a Rift 2 forward if Valve index has good sales and costs more. I don't blame Oculus for seeing if a cheaper headset sells well. More expensive headsets have failed to bring in large numbers of people to VR, so it seems like it's the best thing to try right now. 

Give it a year of sales and we will see what come out on top. So far expensive headsets have failed to catch on. But we will see if a better tech expensive headset will catch on this time around, or if it's best to keep them cheap like Oculus is trying to do.

Luciferous
Consultant
Not sure about release but I would imagine you’ll be able to order from 1st.

I am interested in the index though, I would imagine with the unveiling and orders for the index starting then, Oculus would be insane not to start the ordering process on the 30th for Rift S and try to catch the people wavering.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

If Oculus doesn’t feel that their next-gen features are ready for prime time, that’s fine; they’re the only ones in a position to judge that. I agree that they need to maintain full backwards and forward compatibility, and keep the price in a reasonable range. An $800 headset at this point is going to have a hard time gaining traction. I don’t object to a minor refresh to update the specs a little in the meantime, and I was prepared to buy it on release based on my satisfaction with their previous products.

My disappointment stems from the decision to abandon features that were considered important when they released CV1. They put a stake in the ground and declared that it must be usable by everyone comfortably. Now, they’re saying that if your IPD is more than a few millimetres outside of the average, this might not be the headset for you. The head strap might be more comfortable, and it might accommodate glasses better, but that means nothing to me if I can’t get the lenses in the right place in front of my eyes. A single screen and fixed lenses are trade-offs I can accept in a $200 3dof device that I use to watch media, but I think it’s a lousy choice for their flagship PCVR headset, especially when it leaves behind a part of their user base who are already invested in their ecosystem.

I totally agree, for me all they had to do was leave the original head strap and built in headphones and just increase the resolution slightly, swap out the optics for Oculus GO lenses and increase the FOV to 135°. Then we would of all been happy with a moderate upgrade to keep us going until Rift CV2 arrives with 8k and eye tracking (kidding).
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!