cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World of Reddit (Linux Added)

conlan
Honored Guest
Browse your favorite website in 3D! Surf around subreddits and connect your Reddit account to upvote/downvote!

Download:
[WINDOWS v0.16]
[OSX v0.16]
[Linux v0.17]

===============================
Controls
===============================

= Toggle Oculus Rift on / off

= Authenticate Reddit account

• [ESC] = Quit

= Move Forward
= Strafe Left
= Move Back
= Strafe Right
• Hold [SHIFT] for faster movement

= Rise down
• [Space] = Rise up

=...

I've posted more details and thoughts on my blog here. Really curious to see what people think and if they have any ideas/suggestions around these questions:

How to make text-only posts interesting?
What other Reddit features would you like to see? Search? Saving posts? Sharing posts? Viewing a specific subreddit by name?
What about customization? Would users like to determine the positions of subreddits themselves or do they prefer a fixed, persistent map?

I'm hoping to add Razer Hydra support soon!
32 REPLIES 32

dawgs4ever
Honored Guest
This is awesome.

Have you considered talking to the folks who make the app Pinterest and doing something very similar for that? I don't use it, but my wife and her friends spend all day on Pinterest just browsing through photos. I imagine that something similar in the Pinterest world would be a phenomenal success once the Oculus goes more mainstream. I'm sure when I get my commercial Rift and start playing games.. and my wife figures out she can use it to browse Pinterest.. I would probably never be able to get my Rift back from her.

Anyway - just a thought and a way for you to make some money out of this great idea.

conlan
Honored Guest
Oh man, that'd be awesome. Maybe I'll contact them after this gets to a more polished state, but yeah pinning / liking posts would be great with this. Good idea!

conlan
Honored Guest
*Updated to v0.11 which has mouse turning with Rift as well as changed Load Next Page to .

WormSlayer
Adventurer
Really, no /r/oculus? XD

conlan
Honored Guest
"WormSlayer" wrote:
Really, no /r/oculus? XD

I know, I know :lol: There's a lot of subreddits I'd love to add but just having stacks of text is kinda boring. Any thoughts on how to make text-only posts more interesting?

conlan
Honored Guest
Just added Razer Hydra support! Updated the original download links or you can checkout my blog post at http://www.conlanrios.com/2013/10/razer-hydra-support-added-to-world-of.html.

After binding the controllers, you can navigate with:

DarkJames
Honored Guest
"conlan" wrote:

How to make text-only posts interesting?
What other Reddit features would you like to see? Search? Saving posts? Sharing posts? Viewing a specific subreddit by name?
What about customization? Would users like to determine the positions of subreddits themselves or do they prefer a fixed, persistent map?

I would like to be able to view a specific subreddit by name and toggle NSFW posts/subs completely off.

Maybe you could make text-only posts like a giant newspaper/book so you could turn pages? (giant because it's hard to read on the Rift at the moment)
Seeing is believing

conlan
Honored Guest
A newspaper/book would be cool, maybe something like Flipboard? (https://flipboard.com/). Actually, having each subreddit be a book that you could pick up would be awesome, with each page being a different post.

Or maybe each post should just be a flat sheet but have them be stacked on shelves? Like a reddit library.

DarkJames
Honored Guest
Both ideas sound quite neat, especially having a reddit library whether the shelves are filled with books or sheets!

Everything just has to be giant 'til there's higher res Rifts haha!
Seeing is believing

maharose
Honored Guest
just got my Razer Hydra and set it up

I don't get its demo, plz help