cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KoBak07 said:
I am just having hard time seeing how this product will drive adoption so much as much the proponents expect to be, when WMR headsets with a much lower prices than the S had failed.

WMR has a garbage selection of VR Titles. Software is king in VR. That's how Oculus was able to compete against the Vive even when the Rift had a single sensor and an X-Box controller. And that was 3 years ago. The software advantage that Oculus maintains has been obvious since April 2016. This advantage will continue with both Quest and Rift-S. So it shouldn't be hard to see how Rift-S will drive adoption compared to WMR headsets - which have terrible native platform title selections.

Would you buy a Nintendo if all it let you do was play XBox games through a Port? lol

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

JD-UK said:

JD-UK said:

This thread is turning into what I was posting about earlier. Some people just don't get it at all. "All they have to do....." yes, I'm sure you are a much better VR headset designer and sales advisor than those at Oculus!

Not.

They have told you why they aren't doing that - but no, they should do exactly what you want - not what they feel is best (and will give them a return on their substantial investment) and what is best the market that they want to sell to. You guys know all about what everyone else wants and why they don't want this.

Fuck me, I don't think I've ever seen so much bollox.

It is a discussion forum about VR. People are just posting about what they like about the current headsets, and what they hope for in future headsets and also potential dissapointments of the way VR is progressing.  I think the riftS is going to be a fantastic device but i am concerned it physically wont work for me. Others are convinced it will... that is what discussion is about.
There is a lot of theory crafting and guesswork going on because few of us have access to the headsets yet.
the alternative is just to not post at all, but then that is not really the point of a discussion forum is it?

What really pisses me off is when people instead of discussing the post, attack the posters instead.

I must admit I thought this on your first Post JD-UK. I think you may have missed the whole point of a forum, to discuss things. 

Well I did come here this morning to make sure no-one was feeling offended or upset or whatever about my post. At the end of the day it's just a bit of banter

A lot of my "discussion" posts are made mostly tongue-in-cheek anyway - I don't take things very seriously these days - and nor should you as far as my posts are concerned 

You have a decent history of going in to threads and angrily attacking people because you don't like their opinion. It's as if you are just upset because people are thinking for themselves. The act of "thinking" has been making you angry for quite some time. People aren't taking your posts "seriously," they are just commenting on the noise factor it creates. I agree with what others have said about you in this thread: you don't seem to understand what a forum is used for.

You are fucking kidding me - thanks, I won't stop laughing at this for at least a week!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

JD-UK said:
You are fucking kidding me - thanks, I won't stop laughing at this for at least a week!

A week of laughter does seem accurate in your case
😄

inovator
Consultant
KoBak07 said:
I am just having hard time seeing how this product will drive adoption so much as much the proponents expect to be, when WMR headsets with a much lower prices than the S had failed. 

Wmr headsets: besides the software disadvantage the headsets only have 2 cameras and inferior controllers. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Wmr headsets: besides the software disadvantage the headsets only have 2 cameras and inferior controllers. 

Agreed. And if we think about out...
  • The Oculus Rift outsold Windows Mixed Reality headsets even when the Rift had a single sensor and a Windows XBox controller as it's main hand-controller.

That's a little embarrassing for MS, no?

I do love Microsoft, but that must have been a touch pill to swallow.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

I see your point @inovator  - the way previous WMR headsets were attacked on this and other forums seems to have been redacted in the acceptance of the Rift-S - fundamentally we see OculusVR work with Lenovo to address the issues they had with their previous WMR system to create a better platform, now supported by a competent ecosystem. From this OculusVR gets a cost-reduced design and hands-off the QA and support issues that have burdened them - allowing them to focus on Facebook's initiative of mass adoption through Quest and Go (do we know how Go sold?)

Following the previous article from the OP - we have seen some posters discuss on other forums if the PC VR scene is self sustainable as is - and if Valve Index is the natural successor to the throne, while OculusVR focuses on its real interest away from some of the "issues" that supporting the PC community has burdened them with. I think it would be fair to say that Second-Gen VR from a PC perspective may not be a high priority for some manufacturers that remain, while for others it offers a new opportunity of VR innovation.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Morgrum said:

RedRizla said:

@KoBak07 - The Rift -S will be a lot more mobile too, because people with a laptop will just be able to hook it up in any room or take it with them to another location. Can you list all the compromises you think Oculus have made? I ask because some posters have already tried to explain it all to you in great detail what Oculus is trying to achieve.

There's only one thing I don't like about Rift -S and that's the foam they use for the face. I'll get a VR Cover for that though, so it's no big deal.

I have a real nice hard case that fits in my go bag to bring my rift, touch controllers, battery charging station plus rechargeable batteries, and 3 sensors wherever I go when deployed.

I run a MSI titan so my laptop runs the Rift with no issues.

So far my rifts been in two different countries and soonish a couple more with a satellite rotation somewhere not in the U.S.

* shrugs * It is very doable I know I do it very easily and the space taken up isn't much bigger then what would be required for the S.

Must be great setting all that up each time you choose to take it somewhere else. Like just taking it over to a friends for a night of fun etc. I know the Rift -S will take no time at all setting it up. I'd hate to think I'd have to start messing around with 3 sensors once I got my CV1 to a friends house.

Honestly ive ever really had serious issues getting the sensors setup.
WAAAGH!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Thing is WMR went for the low end and slashed prices yet still trails HTC and Oculus. Price is not the magic formula on its own.

What you need to understand is Valve are drawing a line in the sand here. They don’t see price as the elephant in the room. Image quality is the elephant in the room and Index is the result. After 3 years of of VR sales were still at ground zero with regards to mass adoption and Valve sees the opportunity to rest the clock.

Index attempts to tick all the boxes where first gen HMDs failed. Throwing another WMR headset into the mix isn’t going to cut it even if you dress it up with 5 cameras and an Oculus badge. 

Lighthouse tracking - tick.
Knuckles Controllers - tick.
FOV increase - tick.
Built in over ear headphones - tick.
Quality Optics - tick.
Increased resolution - tick.
Built in eye tracking - tick.
Wireless module - tick.
AAA titles - tick.

Valve are removing the competitions USPs, the low price will come later.

While HMD sales languish in the 1% of Steam users, price counts for nothing. WMR is proof of that. Go is proof of that as is GearVR and cardboard VR.

This is not a fight between Valve and Oculus. This is a fight between VR HMDs and Monitors. So far Monitors win hands down with 4k and image quality and will continue winning as long as manufacturers put out sub par HMDs. Valve are bringing users monitor quality VR and a reason to switch while keeping these users in the Steam Eco system.

Mass VR adoption may never come to pass and Valve won’t care either way as long as PCVR is dominated by SteamVR as it is today supporting all headsets taking the lions share of software sales. 

Oculus basically threw in the towel with the Lenovo Rift S. Even Cosmos might sell more HMDs than Rift S given its resolution and upgradability to 5G 855 snap dragon processor. 

RIP Rift, Constellation and Oculuses position in the PCVR space. 

Some of your points I agree with and some I don't.

Yeah since VR was first released everyone wants higher resolution, yes of course, but I don't really see it as battle against monitors.

Also I don't see Rift going anywhere when Oculus is owned by Facebook which is one of the biggest companies in the world. Plus Oculus is doing well with Go/Quest/Rift, and Rift S is a very good HMD with fantastic hand tracking for new comers into the VR landscape.

I was initially disappointed too like everyone else that Rift S wasn't designed with 500° FOV lol but I soon got over it and realised it's still a decent choice at an affordable price for beginners.

And yeah Valve HMD sounds great, I plan on buying that too but I don't think this HMD will mean anything to Oculus, they have their plans for the next 2-3 years and they want to push all three HMD's forward so we'll have to see how it pans out.

We should try to move away from them VS us or Oculus VS Valve, we want all companies to succeed in VR.

I'm not really interested in buying WMR for example but they're cheap and if they help people get into VR and if the guys that plays sims enjoy them then that's great. Competition is good and before Valve came along with their new HMD it always felt like the only true competitors at the top were Oculus and HTC but now you could say it's split between 4 main competitors - Oculus/HTC/WMR/Valve. So going forward it will be interesting to see all the HMD's coming out of the different sectors over the next few years.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:
the way previous WMR headsets were attacked on this and other forums seems to have been redacted in the acceptance of the Rift-S

This sounds like another attempt to bait this community.

If you're going to accuse members of this community of "redacting" then you should quote actual instances. I can quote instances where you have changed the narrative on several occasions, but you end up calling that "bait." So it is interesting that you call it bait when someone points out your redaction yet you are so quick to do the same to others.

Regardless, I have not seen anyone redact anything in regards to their views of WMR and Rift-S. They are two entirely different products. Rift-S has more cameras and the full breath of Oculus exclusives at its disposal. WMR has less cameras and SteamVR.

CrashFu
Consultant
I hope the folks talking about how their Constellation tracking is perfect  (now that they have four sensors bolted to the ceiling)  realize that they're running a very exceptional setup that would be impractical, if not impossible, for the average consumer to replicate.   Setting that up probably also cost you, what? almost $200 for the extra sensors, mounting equipment, extension cords and a good PCI-USB card?

Meanwhile, I'm guessing the average CV1 owner still just has what the system came with,  either because they didn't know they could add additional sensors, or they couldn't, or just didn't want to go to all the extra expense and hassle.

This is why I hate it when reviewers say things like, "Existing CV1 owners don't need to upgrade to Rift-S",  because their concept of an "existing CV1 owner" clearly consists of the rare user who's already gone to the trouble of building that perfect ceiling-mounted 4-sensor setup;   Compared to what CV1 had out of the box:  two sensors you have to just set on the corners of your computer desk or w/e..  Rift-S and Insight are obviously going to offer a major upgrade in tracking,  (not to mention visuals)

And the fact that you don't have to spend a couple hundred extra dollars and hours of installation work to achieve that tracking quality?  And can relocate it to a different room easily?  That's a big deal.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.