cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

KoBak07
Protege

Zenbane said:

KoBak07 said:
I am just having hard time seeing how this product will drive adoption so much as much the proponents expect to be, when WMR headsets with a much lower prices than the S had failed.

WMR has a garbage selection of VR Titles. Software is king in VR. That's how Oculus was able to compete against the Vive even when the Rift had a single sensor and an X-Box controller. And that was 3 years ago. The software advantage that Oculus maintains has been obvious since April 2016. This advantage will continue with both Quest and Rift-S. So it shouldn't be hard to see how Rift-S will drive adoption compared to WMR headsets - which have terrible native platform title selections.

Would you buy a Nintendo if all it let you do was play XBox games through a Port? lol

Software indeed is just as important. Both are fundamental to success.

Time will tell how new titles coming out of FB / O in this new era will be for PCVR? For sure, the new tracking will set the stage for what dev teams will implement, so cases where you are not watching your controllers will not be part of the experience. I am more interested in how having a much lower minimum spec between the Quest and Rift will be bridged when it comes to gameplay AI and graphical fidelity.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

The momentary timeout will be three years and then we'll see the Tock being released in 2022.

Every time you say that it reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9znA_dwjHw

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

The momentary timeout will be three years and then we'll see the Tock being released in 2022.

When usually I see market observers refer to the "Tick-Tock Model" of development it is agreed as an iterative process that dose not have "timeouts" - that would be more a description of a break, and possible restart/refresh (possible abandonment of the original plan). 

The Tick-Tock Model (mainly in chip and consumer design) - sees the Tick representing a shrinkage in technological application, while the Tock represents a enhancement or investment in new innovation.

So (Tick) CV1, (Tock) Rift-S... long timeout... (Tick) CV2 - does not really work?

But, (Tick) GearVR, (Tock) CV1, (Tick) GO / Rift-S, (Tock) Quest... - dose seem to work.

No. The Tock (new tech) is the CV1. The Tick (an enhancement) is the Rift S. The next Tock is going to be the CV2 with new tech (eye tracking and foveated rendering with POSSIBLY varifocal) followed by the next Tick (the CV2 S) being another enhancement (to FOV, resolution or maybe the introduction of a varifocal feature if it isn't ready for the CV2).

This is the model they're using for their PC VR line, it remains to be seen what they're doing with their two mobile product lines but it wouldn't surprise me if they do a similar thing.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KoBak07 said:
I don't see what I would be cherry-picking. You said:

After 3 years of PCVR, the market has told the world that it needs something other than high-end hardware if someone wants to acquire 10's of millions of consumers. And now Oculus is filling that Void with Quest and Rift-S. So you are correct in your statement, but you are applying it completely wrong.

I was just agreeing that the Quest fills a void, while questioning that argument that the Rift S will be silver bullet that magically get the masses into VR, at least on the PC.

Our main discussion is over PCVR, and there is a void that hasn't been filled by any company yet: getting mass PCVR adoption. History shows that aiming at high-end hardware isn't the right way to go, as proven by the business models for both Pimax and HTC. So if you can agree that Quest is filling a mass market void as a stand-alone VR Kit, then you should be able to see how Rift-S will entice the mass market that wants more than a stand-alone VR Kit. Those being consumers who want to play Fallout, Skyrim, and other high-end titles that require a PC but don't want the headache that comes with physical tracking cameras (thus requiring a dedicate VR Room for a 3-4 sensor setup).

How long do you expect this momentary timeout to be? 1, 2, 3, 5 years?

They made it this far after 3 years, so we can reasonably expect 2-3 years so that they can actually analyze the market and industry indicators. They need at least 1 year of sales to pass and another to analyze, strategize, and execute. Pretty common in the business world.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

inovator said:

RedRizla said:

inovator said:

I agree: in addition there was a reviewer that owns a pimax . I believe it was 5k. He was reviewing the rift s. He said he wouldn't recommend rift owners do an upgrade with the small improvements including the small visual improvements.  I really wanted to throw many @$$@@ words at him. No fucken empathy. He was basing his recommendation on his Pima vs the rift, not the rift a vs rift s. Many reviewers said there was a very noticeable visual difference. 

I saw a reviewer that said if you owned a CV1 you didn't need to update to a Rift -S. The funny thing is though he said he was upgrading because the Rift -S had better visuals and he wanted to see Oculus games in all their spender. I really had to laugh at that review.

Exactly! I'm not a violent person but I have the urge to throw mud pies in their faces.

I have not seen the review but it isn't necessarily contradictory. A 2019 oled LG TV could well be a bit better than a 2018 model but over all a reviewer may conclude not to go out and replace your 2018 telly BUT that it is a really nice telly for those who don't have a recent TV.
Maybe not the best example just saying it is possible for a product to be better than the one it replaces and still not be worth buying if you have the old one.
A reviewers job imo is to give you specs and their subjective opinion. It isn't their job to spoon feed you the exact answer to if you should buy it due to potentially specific circumstances. I have a really well set up 3 sensor CV1. Over all I accept rift s will probably edge it even for me (assuming my IPD is supported and all my titles work), but not £400s worth
Also I have bought things because I am obsessed with them but I would not in all good conscience reccomend other people do it.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

inovator
Consultant

inovator said:

RedRizla said:

inovator said:

I agree: in addition there was a reviewer that owns a pimax . I believe it was 5k. He was reviewing the rift s. He said he wouldn't recommend rift owners do an upgrade with the small improvements including the small visual improvements.  I really wanted to throw many @$$@@ words at him. No fucken empathy. He was basing his recommendation on his Pima vs the rift, not the rift a vs rift s. Many reviewers said there was a very noticeable visual difference. 

I saw a reviewer that said if you owned a CV1 you didn't need to update to a Rift -S. The funny thing is though he said he was upgrading because the Rift -S had better visuals and he wanted to see Oculus games in all their spender. I really had to laugh at that review.

Exactly! I'm not a violent person but I have the urge to throw mud pies in their faces.

I have not seen the review but it isn't necessarily contradictory. A 2019 oled LG TV could well be a bit better than a 2018 model but over all a reviewer may conclude not to go out and replace your 2018 telly BUT that it is a really nice telly for those who don't have a recent TV.
Maybe not the best example just saying it is possible for a product to be better than the one it replaces and still not be worth buying if you have the old one

My point was that reviewer in my opinion was comparing his pimax vs rifts and not rifts vs the rift in making his recommendation.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sort your bloody quotes out people!!! 😮 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't get the bloody staff lol 😄

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Well one would think a company like Facebook would have a working forum and not screw up quotes.

RE the tick tock model (more a light hearted observation) I always thought logically it was the wrong way round.
Tick comes before tock in general parlance so surely the initial device comes before the steamlined tweak?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@bigmike20vt - I see what you are getting at but if I was that reviewer I would have said upgrade. Because the Godrays have just about gone the screen door effect is hardly visible and the visuals look much sharper then the current CV1. He mentioned all these things and then says you don't need to update your CV1.

I mean, no shit Sherlock. I know I don't have to upgrade, but all what you have just said in your review makes me think I should upgrade, but you say it's not necessary without saying why it's not necessary? Your review has been really positive about Rift -S and then you finish by saying you don't need to update?