cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

“VR is going to keep progressing. So, beyond and shadow of a doubt, at some point we will have a next generation where we add some sort of feature that breaks all of the old stuff and makes it either not work, or makes it seem obsolete. Our goal is not to do that right now. Our goal is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as possible. Bifurcating the ecosystem with a Rift and, say, a Rift 2 […] is not the right thing to do right now.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-timing-rift-2-rift-pro/?fbclid=IwAR37hW4dGpGnISlto-mubuiS2Z...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
179 REPLIES 179

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well one would think a company like Facebook would have a working forum and not screw up quotes.

RE the tick tock model (more a light hearted observation) I always thought logically it was the wrong way round.
Tick comes before tock in general parlance so surely the initial device comes before the steamlined tweak?

Logically, yes. But I'm guessing that Intel had some reason known only to themselves to do things the other way around. Bloody weirdos 😮 😄

KoBak07
Protege

Zenbane said:

KoBak07 said:
I don't see what I would be cherry-picking. You said:

After 3 years of PCVR, the market has told the world that it needs something other than high-end hardware if someone wants to acquire 10's of millions of consumers. And now Oculus is filling that Void with Quest and Rift-S. So you are correct in your statement, but you are applying it completely wrong.

I was just agreeing that the Quest fills a void, while questioning that argument that the Rift S will be silver bullet that magically get the masses into VR, at least on the PC.

Our main discussion is over PCVR, and there is a void that hasn't been filled by any company yet: getting mass PCVR adoption. History shows that aiming at high-end hardware isn't the right way to go, as proven by the business models for both Pimax and HTC. So if you can agree that Quest is filling a mass market void as a stand-alone VR Kit, then you should be able to see how Rift-S will entice the mass market that wants more than a stand-alone VR Kit. Those being consumers who want to play Fallout, Skyrim, and other high-end titles that require a PC but don't want the headache that comes with physical tracking cameras (thus requiring a dedicate VR Room for a 3-4 sensor setup).

How long do you expect this momentary timeout to be? 1, 2, 3, 5 years?

They made it this far after 3 years, so we can reasonably expect 2-3 years so that they can actually analyze the market and industry indicators. They need at least 1 year of sales to pass and another to analyze, strategize, and execute. Pretty common in the business world.

Deep down I still hope that they succeed with getting more people on, as we need a larger install base. But having to wait another three years stuck at the current visuals, if you would want to stay on their platform sucks bad. There will be probably two more GPU generations in that timeframe, and even if the performance increase is only like Turing, there is nothing to take advantage of those resources from O.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@bigmike20vt - I see what you are getting at but if I was that reviewer I would have said upgrade. Because the Godrays have just about gone the screen door effect is hardly visible and the visuals look much sharper then the current CV1. He mentioned all these things and then says you don't need to update your CV1.

I mean, no shit Sherlock. I know I don't have to upgrade, but all what you have just said in your review makes me think I should upgrade, but you say it's not necessary without saying why it's not necessary? Your review has been really positive about Rift -S and then you finish by saying you don't need to update?

Ben from Road to VR saying that it's just a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity has me convinced that I need to upgrade to it (assuming that the Valve Index is off the table for me of course!).

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not too worried about the black levels either because the black levels of the Rift aren't great either so it should be quite easy to adjust to it I think.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I'm not too worried about the black levels either because the black levels of the Rift aren't great either so it should be quite easy to adjust to it I think.

Yeah deep blacks for some game are bad because you can't see background objects you are supposed to see in games. The deep blacks are great for Space games though.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KoBak07 said:
Deep down I still hope that they succeed with getting more people on, as we need a larger install base. But having to wait another three years stuck at the current visuals, if you would want to stay on their platform sucks bad. There will be probably two more GPU generations in that timeframe, and even if the performance increase is only like Turing, there is nothing to take advantage of those resources from O.

I do agree that "waiting sucks." I am not thrilled about waiting for a serious hardware upgrade. But I, personally, am not limited to just the Oculus platform. I will happily buy a competitor (e.g. Valve Index) if they can release something that's actually worth a sheit. Vive Pro, Pimax 5K/8K, and WMR all force me to take a step "down" when it comes to hand-controllers. I just won't do it.

Valve Index may be a worthwhile competitor, we'll see at release. But I refuse to replace the sexy sleek Touch Controllers with Bulky wands and ridiculously over-sized Knuckles. Especially since I'd be doing it just to play the same damn titles that's already available. No other platform has any real exclusives to warrant the downgrade.

@ParadoxAnomoly , I see you're getting braver and moving away from just posting memes.

You'll soon be back to your old ways of blaming Oculus for everything including the demise of your dog.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ParadoxAnomoly , I see you're getting braver and moving away from just posting memes.

You'll soon be back to your old ways of blaming Oculus for everything including the demise of your dog.

No. Oculus killed his family and raped his dog, not the other way around. But either one happening is quite serious so you can understand both your confusion and his obsession.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's funny how some people have a hard time changing their posting style when using a different alias. Imagine if a new account showed up named, HappyLover69, and ended every other post with, "Na mean?"

And then I was all like... no idea who that is!
😘

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

@bigmike20vt - I see what you are getting at but if I was that reviewer I would have said upgrade. Because the Godrays have just about gone the screen door effect is hardly visible and the visuals look much sharper then the current CV1. He mentioned all these things and then says you don't need to update your CV1.

I mean, no shit Sherlock. I know I don't have to upgrade, but all what you have just said in your review makes me think I should upgrade, but you say it's not necessary without saying why it's not necessary? Your review has been really positive about Rift -S and then you finish by saying you don't need to update?

I like you don't understand it. It makes them sound incompetent. Wait they are incompetent.