Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Lot of negative Valve sentiment but let us not forget without them adopting VR early into their ecosystem, where would VR be today.

Yes, an interesting observation.
I think for me the importance of Vavle's investment early in VR and AR is down played - the 'VR [Valve] Room' system (image) proved instrumental in establishing the first phase of this most recent adoption of the tech; and the loaner machine to OculusVR established the foundation of the acquisition. It was good to see that element, previously denied, included in the recent book on the start of OculusVR. With the second phase of this adoption I wonder how much Valve Index will have a part to play?

bdl2ailc01to.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

inovator
Consultant
Everyone pretty much said all there is to say on this thread. Now it's like the calm before the storm.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Everyone pretty much said all there is to say on this thread. Now it's like the calm before the storm.

Agreed. Now it's just back to pretending that this forum is negative against non-Oculus products, and pretending that this forum hasn't also been critical of Oculus' own products while also pretending that this forum hasn't gone through years of negativity against Oculus consumers.

Same 'ol song and dance!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

ef2evrwujus7.jpg

Suddenly my spider sense started to tingle again...

csvfewx3uq7o.jpg

Toad HYPE overload

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
youtube.com/watch?v=UpPY_XNpn08
Seems like something duel lenses can pull off as well.

Over all less overhead and sharper image. Not to say that is what the Valve is doing - just seems like something dual lenses can help with by lowering the the require warping effect and offering a large FOV. At the same time - lowering the require target render just means more supported devices. The other thing Xtal used could be easy to recreate as far as "using more screen space". If Valve did go higher resolution + LCD we could see even a sharper image than what Xtal offers - but they are also using better lenses than Valve using for sure assuming some of the cost of their headset is to include DSR(L?) lenses that can cost in the upper 400 range vs the plastic ones we use for more customer friendly cost.

*Note this is assume rumors of the screens + the lens are correct. Base off what we do know - this might not be true so don't hold your breath on this information:) More or less we wont know more till May 1st or if someone leaks more information. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
With a bit of luck I might get some money I might be owed due to a possible government cock up with my benefits in 2011 for 51 weeks, so I might end up treating myself to either a Valve Index or a Rift S if I get it. No idea how much I'm going to get though. Some people have been owed as much as £20,000 but I can't see myself getting anywhere near that much. Probably just going to be a couple of hundred quid if anything.

I COULD do with a new washer dryer but a new headset is MUCH more important. 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Something just arrived - these base stations will probably be used for the Index:

qcyxrbfkwbna.jpg
wdxzc5wruoua.jpg
20e1r4n95w26.jpg
7qai95g1ouws.jpg
y6hcy2uul72v.jpg
1pnmw8cexrqt.jpg

Sources: 
https://imgur.com/a/Jmcfcs2
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bh8jjn/base_stations_from_valve/

Looks quite similar to Vive Pro base stations (2.0):

tchwzetx911x.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

Zenbane said:

My pinky finger gets the most use when:
  • Playing Guitar
  • Drinking Tea

I don't understand how people can drink tea from such a tiny cup.

My tea cup:
vd4li5kvrj54.jpg

Do our cups reflect our personalities I wonder?

ec29eqoctu0r.jpg

Why drink from a lesser god?
ufi2py3cs3b5.jpeg
WAAAGH!

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Being a huge Lovecraft fan I soo envy that Cthulhu mug .. :open_mouth:
Be good, die great !

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
SteamVR beta update:
Index controllers now support full finger tracking in steamvr: