cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift s display port

durbinsplumb
Explorer
Hi all, I’ve recently bought a gaming laptop and as the specs look up to scratch to run a rift I was looking to get one. But then noticed rift s is soon to be released and needs less USB’s which the laptop would have struggled. So decided to wait for rift s. 
The only thing is, my laptop doesn’t have a display port only HDMI. Will there be any way round this with an adapter? If there is an adapter would it work?
 I’m new to pc gaming so forgive me if I should know this stuff lol. 

12 REPLIES 12

durbinsplumb
Explorer
Thanks, hopefully that will do the job. 

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
I might wait before buying an adapter.. It's possible that Rift S might come with it's own HDMI->DisplayPort adapter!
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

Lujho
Expert Protege
Does anyone know why the switch from HDMI to DisplayPort in the first place? Is it just because the latter is newer? does DisplayPort have a higher bandwidth or whatever?

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I were to get a Rift S, I would have much rather had HDMI as I have front HDMI connector along with USB 3 connector on front of my case, makes it real easy for plugging in the Rift and unplugging if desired. 
Also those with the new Virtual Link adapters could use them for connecting HDMI. 

Wondering if I do decide to eventually get a Rift S if a display port to HDMI adapter would work, hopefully so.
Yes it certainly would be nice if it came with one as well.

jayhawk
Superstar

Lujho said:

Does anyone know why the switch from HDMI to DisplayPort in the first place? Is it just because the latter is newer? does DisplayPort have a higher bandwidth or whatever?

DisplayPort is faster, but I think the biggest reasons you see DP on computers is because a free standard was needed that wasn't proprietary like HDMI is. HDMI is mainly geared toward A/V equipment.

durbinsplumb
Explorer
Just noticed on the oculus website, it says it comes with display port > mini display port but no mention of hdmi adapter. 

DAAN81202
Honored Guest
I have the same problem I have a laptop that is capable of for vr and I wanted to get the rift s but I only have hdmi. I hope some YouTube will make a video when it is out so it can be confirm that an adapter works before I buy the rift s or @OculusSupport can confirm it...

Sheldon_B
Honored Guest
i try the HDMI with DP yes please don't do it... i see the "3 green check" oh yay it working! (i put on my head-set) nope....nothing so i will try the DP>USB-C Active, hope will work for the VR i will keep update

UPDATE: the usb-3 won't work on the VR