Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@nalex66 - Are these rumours from well know sources or just from people like ParadoxAnomaly hoping things like this will be included?

Pretty sure they are from people like PA who made other predictions like: Knuckle Controllers and the Pimax Kickstarter  will release on-time and take the world by storm before 2019.
😐

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege
I’m basing Wireless inclusion direct from a Gabe Newell interview where he said wireless inclusion in future headsets. 

Guess we only have to wait till next Wednesday to find out. 

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Pretty sure they are from people like PA who made other predictions like: Knuckle Controllers and the Pimax Kickstarter  will release on-time and take the world by storm before 2019.
😐

We’re still waiting for GearVR to take the world by storm or is it GO or is it now Quest or Rift S?

No VR device has taken the world by storm yet. Maybe Apples AR Kit will make the break through.

I bet those with Pimax are happy with their headsets and don’t care others want to carry on with 95 degree GO screens for the next 3 years until that is the mythological CV2 comes to pass.

Have you decided yet @Zenbane what you’re going for? Rift S or Index?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m basing Wireless inclusion direct from a Gabe Newell interview where he said wireless inclusion in future headsets. 

They would be insane releasing a wireless headset. It would add another $200-300 to the purchase price.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

nalex66 said:

I think they need to get the bundle under 600 unless they’re bringing some revolutionary new feature to market. If it’s just a Vive Pro equivalent, it’s not worth double the price of Rift S. I know there’s some crazy speculation floating around (super-high resolution, eye tracking, wireless, brain interface), but until details are announced, none of that means anything. 

This would have been Oculus' perspective, but Valve has taken a premium high-road approach to date, and looks to be continuing it with their VR platform. Bundled - yes, but not discounted. 

While still under embargo what can be stated is the system will appeal to the high-end PC scene, with a focus on a community looking to move to the next level - the Index Controllers are unique and I am sure a number of OculusVR CV1/Rift-S owners will be demanding a port of these to their platform.

The big question regarding Valve is if they can support the community that wants to buy this hardware - the last thing we will need is that we swap one closed mouth manufacturer for another!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@nalex66 - Are these rumours from well know sources or just from people like ParadoxAnomaly hoping things like this will be included?

They're based on some patents Valve has, some old interviews where Gabe expressed interest in these sorts of technologies, and some past research that has been done.

Several years ago for instance, Valve was very interested in biometric feedback that they wanted to sense through the Steam controller (pulse rate, sweatiness, etc.) so they could use that to modify game parameters--jump scares when you least expect them, amping up or slowing down the action, that sort of thing. This was around the same time they were working on their "AI Director" in Left4Dead that was supposed to dynamically adjust the enemy spawn rates, and this would tie into that system. Of course, none of that ended up in the retail Steam controller.

Anyway, because we know nothing concrete about Index, people are scouring old interviews and articles looking for any clues about what fantastical tech might be included in the latest magical hardware from Valve, and are setting themselves up for massive disappointment. Hopefully Index does bring something new to the table, but it's not going to be the rainbow-vomiting, ice cream-shitting unicorn that some people are expecting.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Wildt
Consultant

snowdog said:

They would be insane releasing a wireless headset. It would add another $200-300 to the purchase price.

200 Tops, but I don't think it'll be wireless either.
It's pretty likely that we'll see a official wireless adapter though, and that's another checkbox ticked for me as a Rift+TPcast replacement.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

nalex66 said:

I think they need to get the bundle under 600 unless they’re bringing some revolutionary new feature to market. If it’s just a Vive Pro equivalent, it’s not worth double the price of Rift S. I know there’s some crazy speculation floating around (super-high resolution, eye tracking, wireless, brain interface), but until details are announced, none of that means anything. 

This would have been Oculus' perspective, but Valve has taken a premium high-road approach to date, and looks to be continuing it with their VR platform. Bundled - yes, but not discounted. 

Be that as it may, Oculus (and to a lesser extent, WMR) have set the baseline market expectation. If the feature-set and ecosystem of Rift S can be had for $400, then any new headset has to weather that comparison; what does Index offer above and beyond that, and how much more is that worth? better optics and ergonomics? $100 to $200 at most. Something truly next-gen (like functional eye-tracking and foveated rendering)? That gets them a little more headroom in the price. If they want to charge Vive Pro prices for an iterative upgrade (evolutionary but not revolutionary), I think they'll find that the appetite for their hardware will be modest at best. Some hardcore enthusiasts will cough up, but not enough to change the landscape in any significant way.

While still under embargo what can be stated is the system will appeal to the high-end PC scene, with a focus on a community looking to move to the next level - the Index Controllers are unique and I am sure a number of OculusVR CV1/Rift-S owners will be demanding a port of these to their platform.

The big question regarding Valve is if they can support the community that wants to buy this hardware - the last thing we will need is that we swap one closed mouth manufacturer for another!

I think Index controllers are a little over-hyped. For Vive users who've been stuck with those giant awkward wands for the past three years, sure, they're a big step up. For Rift users who've had the benefit of using the best-in-class Touch controllers, they don't really offer much that we don't already have.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, everything that @nalex66 said!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

nalex66 said:
I think Index controllers are a little over-hyped. For Vive users who've been stuck with those giant awkward wands for the past three years, sure, they're a big step up. For Rift users who've had the benefit of using the best-in-class Touch controllers, they don't really offer much that we don't already have.

Some great food for thought @nalex66 - thanks for sharing.
I have personally placed the PC VR community into five groups:

- No0bs - those that have not owned any of the systems and come fresh
- WINex - those that had a WinMR system and are looking for their replacement
- VIVEex - those from the VIVE community looking for replacement
- CV1ex - those from the CV1 community looking for replacement
- Others - those from the PSVR, or Daydream, or other scenes (mobileVR)

Each one of these groups have different expectations of what their new investment will have to achieve to warrant their interest - and in some cases they will have high expectations. But fundamental is the content - for there has to be good games to keep them in the PC VR scene, or jump ship to the mobile/standalone alternative.

While I am sure many would agree you are right about the Touch controllers - there is an issue that many of the group above will be enticed by the novelty of and ergonomics of the Index way over four-year-old tech (especially as their hardware has been altered for the Rift-S / Quest).
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959