Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder how Valve going to give the news. I know its May 1st - but it's not like its a F8 or OC event. Are they just going to have people leak the information then - then come out with a release date/preorder date? 

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

nalex66 said:
I think Index controllers are a little over-hyped. For Vive users who've been stuck with those giant awkward wands for the past three years, sure, they're a big step up. For Rift users who've had the benefit of using the best-in-class Touch controllers, they don't really offer much that we don't already have.

Some great food for thought @nalex66 - thanks for sharing.
I have personally placed the PC VR community into five groups:

- No0bs - those that have not owned any of the systems and come fresh
- WINex - those that had a WinMR system and are looking for their replacement
- VIVEex - those from the VIVE community looking for replacement
- CV1ex - those from the CV1 community looking for replacement
- Others - those from the PSVR, or Daydream, or other scenes (mobileVR)

Each one of these groups have different expectations of what their new investment will have to achieve to warrant their interest - and in some cases they will have high expectations. But fundamental is the content - for there has to be good games to keep them in the PC VR scene, or jump ship to the mobile/standalone alternative.

While I am sure many would agree you are right about the Touch controllers - there is an issue that many of the group above will be enticed by the novelty of and ergonomics of the Index way over four-year-old tech (especially as their hardware has been altered for the Rift-S / Quest).

Well however you slice it if you wanna talk content oculus (I suspect due to Facebook cash) are king there. Just look at the content that oculus have helped fund. .... Where as valve have in the last 3 years released a handful of tech demos and have not even bothered to keep the vr apps working that I was playing on my DK2.
I know we have those 3 valve vr titles we keep getting waved under our noses but they are as long overdue as knuckles imo.
As a CV1 user who apparently won the panel lottery the riftS does not excite me much but stormland, defector and lone echo 2 ... They are possibly my most anticipated titles in a long long time
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

I wonder how Valve going to give the news. I
know its May 1st - but it's not like its a F8 or OC event. Are they just
going to have people leak the information then - then come out with a
release date/preorder date? 

Probably an announcement and pre-order release on Steam, combined with an embargo lift for members of the press. I'm sure all the usual VR sites will have the story plastered on their front pages as soon as possible.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

bigmike20vt said:

Well however you slice it if you wanna talk content oculus (I suspect due to Facebook cash) are king there.
Would not access (control) of SteamVR trump that?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

bigmike20vt said:

Well however you slice it if you wanna talk content oculus (I suspect due to Facebook cash) are king there.

I suppose that depends if you champion quality or quantity (tho talking about quality on this crap forum software which has yet again mucked up the quote is kind of funny)

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

I suppose that depends if you champion quality or quantity (tho talking about quality on this crap forum software which has yet again mucked up the quote is kind of funny)

Slightly off topic @bigmike20vt  - but I wonder how long support of this forum has?
Was always under the impression when PM'ing Cyber that it was due to get a complete update, but I wonder if that has been abandoned following the changes?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

Slightly off topic @bigmike20vt  - but I wonder how long support of this forum has?
Was always under the impression when PM'ing Cyber that it was due to get a complete update, but I wonder if that has been abandoned following the changes?

I hope not. This forum is THE forum for VR regardless of flavour of HMD for a lot of people (esp those who dislike Reddit and the like). It is where I point people who want to know more about VR. From a business point of view I would think that is an advantage oculus should nurture not squander .
Back in the day many non gamers used the term playing nintendo for videogames in general or using a hoover (vaccum cleaner). This is like free word of mouth advertising and oculus could do well to try to be like that with VR imo...... And getting the OCULUS site synonymous with talking vr must surely help?

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

bigmike20vt said:

What on earth makes you think that? Valve haven't curated their store properly since 2012. 98% of the games available on Steam (and that's being generous rather than hyperbolic) are crap.

And if you're talking about the SteamVR environment rather than the software Oculus are also ahead too with features such as Dash, Oculus Desktop and being able to import custom models into the Oculus Home environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

bigmike20vt said:

There's nowt wrong with the forum software, you're just pants  😛 😄 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm glad that posted properly lmfao 😄