Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

pyroth309
Visionary

dburne said:

They would be insane releasing a wireless headset. It would add another $200-300 to the purchase price.

I certainly do not think it will be wireless.
Going to take a tethered PC to run all that greatness in a headset.
Or at least soon we shall know what it will have.

Considering how much Gabe has talked about wireless in the past, I think a wireless add on is likely. I doubt it will come at release though.

CrashFu
Consultant
Y'know, that whole "brain interface" rumor might not be so far-fetched.

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the magic sci-fi neural interlink that people wish it was,  but consumer EEG peripherals already exist, such as the NeuroSky MindWave .

If they built something like that into the Index, it could be used to trigger a specific game input when you "think really hard", which could be a fun gimmick for a tech demo or something ... but I don't think you'd want to base a whole game around it, as players would just find it frustrating when it doesn't work reliably.

They could also record your general levels of brain activity  (perhaps in conjunction with what you're doing or what objects you're looking at)  and use that data somehow...  For example, selling it to advertisers, or using it to tailor game recommendations.  Or triggering a bunch of enemies to spawn in a game as soon as the player's brain activity starts to dip.

Of course, having something like that built into the Index would also probably raise the price tag by at least another $100,  so it seems unlikely for that reason alone.   At least, not as a standard feature.  Maybe as an optional accessory that plugs into that slot we assumed to be for Leap Motion?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If Valve does have the brain interface functionality then... LMAO. Can't wait to see the sales numbers.

Mass consumers are still skeptical of Alexa because she's always listening. This should be fun.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

If Valve does have the brain interface functionality then... LMAO. Can't wait to see the sales numbers.

Mass consumers are still skeptical of Alexa because she's always listening. This should be fun.

Yeah, can't say I'd be thrilled about the product scanning my brain if its transmitting the info like Alexa does. If anyone is going to be profiting from my data it should be me. That said, im Skeptical that Valve would go down that road especially after Epic got hammered for privacy concerns. 

Wildt
Consultant
Imagine having to mail support saying that the brain sensor isn't working :lol:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

CrashFu
Consultant
At this point, the PC gamer community has such a collective case of Stockholm Syndrome, I'm sure most of them would happily volunteer to have their brains scanned, if Valve claimed it would benefit them somehow.

"We scan your brain to make sure it's really you! It's account security!"

"We're scanning everyone's brains to make sure they aren't cheating!"

"We scan your brain to find out what games YOU would like the most, and help you find them!"

Or maybe they'd just spin it into somehow being an Oculus scandal?   "Oculus doesn't scan your brain because they don't care what their customers think!  Here at Valve, we care."

Or maybe a total subject diversion?   "Yeah, well.. Rift-S and Quest have downwards-facing cameras!  Why does Facebook want to see your junk so badly, huh?"
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
In 2016, naysayers were like, "I refuse to buy any Oculus products now that Facebook owns them, as Facebook violates everyone's privacy."

In 2019, the same naysayers, "Valve has drawn a line in the sand and the only company pushing VR forward, as we now get a VR HMD that scans our brains."

Anonymous
Not applicable
They won't be able to make a VR headset big enough or powerful enough to scan my far superior brain. B)

inovator
Consultant
If oculus does not make a cv2 headset by the end of the year as light and as small as sunglasses I will never give fb the time of day. Or evening for that matter.

pyroth309
Visionary
In other Valve news, VNN/Valve News Network seems pretty confident that the 3 Valve VR games are Half Life, Left 4 Dead, and a coop VR stealth game codenamed citadel. While that sounds all well and good, I won't care about them much if they're under 5 hours of gameplay.