cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Dark Crystal is a classic Jim Henson movie. It's basically children's horror, it's a pretty dark movie, but also great. It certainly has a different look and feel to Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. His next movie, Labyrinth, continued the dark theme, but was a bit more kid friendly (some comedy, some cute characters and singing, compared to The Dark Crystal's serious and kind of grotesque designs) .
I saw The Dark Crystal when I was about 10 or 11 and parts of it scared me, but I loved it.

If you haven't seen Labyrinth, try that one too. David Bowie rocks as the goblin king.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

The Dark Crystal is a classic Jim Henson movie. It's basically children's horror, it's a pretty dark movie, but also great. It certainly has a different look and feel to Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. His next movie, Labyrinth, continued the dark theme, but was a bit more kid friendly (some comedy, some cute characters and singing, compared to The Dark Crystal's serious and kind of grotesque designs) .
I saw The Dark Crystal when I was about 10 or 11 and parts of it scared me, but I loved it.

If you haven't seen Labyrinth, try that one too. David Bowie rocks as the goblin king.

I've seen Labyrinth a few times, have the DVD - it's also out in a new glorious 4K HDR version: 

Image result for labyrinth 4k version

Not sure I'll buy many of these old movies again, somehow feels like buying very old wine in brand new bottles. This user review from IMDB convinced me to buy The Dark Crystal - and the review more or less sold the movie to my 11 year old son  😄

"The Dark Crystal is a fantastic film made by Jim Henson. It truly is one of those movies that prove what a genius he was, and that his genius stretched past Kermit and Big Bird. However…I always have mixed feelings about this movie.

[...]

This movie is a visual feast. It is absolutely amazing what Henson managed to do with the muppets and the worlds he created. As many have said it is even more amazing to see it in comparison to today's CGI and advanced special effects, and appear superior. The plot is also solid, with lots of meaning and spirit. However…I personally always found the film difficult to enjoy. As a child this movie gave me horrible nightmares, as it did for many other people. This is probably high on the list of traumatizing children's movies! So parents be forewarned, this shouldn't be shown to children under age 8, or even those a bit older who scare easily. In fact, adults can still find many aspects of this film disturbing, including scary characters, music, voices, and actions. One of the most disturbing aspects is how the skeksies would suck the "essence" (soul) out of podlings, drink it to prolong their own youth, and then make the podlings into slaves. As an adult I can look past the scary parts to recognize how well the film is made and written, but I still find it difficult to enjoy. That aside, it's definitely worth a watch."

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Black Hole is another one of the dark kids movies I used to love, but watching it on DVD actually hurts the experience. For anybody that doesn't know it, it's a Disney scifi movie that has a lot of stuff that really isn't suitable for children. But when I was 6 I had coloring books of it, sticker books, a 33rpm record of the movie audio, etc.
The problem is that the DVD and above have such a clear picture that the wire work used for the flying robots and anti grav stuff becomes glaringly obvious.
Otherwise still an awesome scifi movie. It's gotten a bit of a resurgence on places like Imgur due to the recent black hole photo.

Maximilian is still the scariest robot in any scifi movie. Well, the Saturn 3 robot was pretty messed up, but Maximilian wins.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

The Black Hole is another one of the dark kids movies I used to love, but watching it on DVD actually hurts the experience. For anybody that doesn't know it, it's a Disney scifi movie that has a lot of stuff that really isn't suitable for children. But when I was 6 I had coloring books of it, sticker books, a 33rpm record of the movie audio, etc.
The problem is that the DVD and above have such a clear picture that the wire work used for the flying robots and anti grav stuff becomes glaringly obvious.
Otherwise still an awesome scifi movie. It's gotten a bit of a resurgence on places like Imgur due to the recent black hole photo.

Maximilian is still the scariest robot in any scifi movie. Well, the Saturn 3 robot was pretty messed up, but Maximilian wins.

Dr. Reinhardt and Maximilian are awesome, I've got the DVD - saw that movie in my childhood too and always loved it. Even got the comics, like:

Image result for black hole disney comics 
Image result for black hole disney comics

That movie would be great to have in 4K + HDR, havent checked if it's available or coming... 

Update: Just checked, seems like only the DVD is available. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP
g19ctf2ado73.jpg
My 33 album. 🙂

Oh, I just had an idea... hang on a minute...

Ok, I just found a Maximilian mesh on the net and converted it to Oculus Home format. Scale is roughly right (he's about 1.93m apparently).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wasn't sure where to post this but technically it's a film so here is good enough, it's fucking hilarious lololol

https://youtu.be/c8wYzzSCVqg

😄 😄 😄

Makes me want to go out and film random buildings.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Here's some Avengers: End Game hype!

Seems like some of the old comic art collectors also went to see the movie - here's a quote from the ComicArt-L e-mail discussion list  😄

"Don’t know if this was already mentioned but don’t wait through the credits this time. No extra bits at the end. Oh, and make sure you go to the bathroom before, this is a long one."

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

g19ctf2ado73.jpg
My 33 album. 🙂

Oh, I just had an idea... hang on a minute...

Ok, I just found a Maximilian mesh on the net and converted it to Oculus Home format. Scale is roughly right (he's about 1.93m apparently).

BTW, if you want to know how the story continues you need the comic books - did you know of the ultra-rare #4?  (There're 4 books in total published in 1980, I think the first two contain the same story as the movie) B)

ogbdpalfrfnq.jpg

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hmm, I see two things in that pic that didn't survive the movie.

kojack
MVP
MVP
A 4K restoration of The Shining is on the way.
It's going to be at Cannes in a couple of weeks, then probably a release sometime later.