Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

CrashFu
Consultant

Mradr said:

no customer is going to be willing to pay for you to have a feature no one will use.

Have you seen the knuckles controllers?   Apparently people will pay for pinky-and-ring-finger tracking, even when it means using a ginormous, awkward controller you have to strap your hands into to use  (that will almost certainly cost more than Touch controllers, because of the extra tech and materials)

But I was mostly kidding before, anyways. I'd be surprised if they actually did build an EEG into the headset;  As an optional accessory for that expansion slot, maybe, but not as a standard feature.

It made for a fun discussion, though. :tongue:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:
The Oculus forum is running on Vanilla Forum. https://vanillaforums.com/en/
They even use us as part of their showcase. : )

Interesting - thanks for this. Just doing a little research into the package and I see your using v.2.2 - any chance to use v2.4 or v2.8 which has many of the features that would address the above criticisms?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I personally cant wait to get my hands on the Index controllers and try to do irl stuff while wearing them.
 Hardware will always fail if it´s hard to get on / off. Hard to setup ( sensors !? ).

If people can't have a drink or masturbate while wearing "knuckels", they are doomed.
Be good, die great !

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

KlodsBrik said:

I personally cant wait to get my hands on the Index controllers and try to do irl stuff while wearing them.
 Hardware will always fail if it´s hard to get on / off. Hard to setup ( sensors !? ).

If people can't have a drink or masturbate while wearing "knuckels", they are doomed.

I was thinking about borrowing your Touch controllers next weekend, but suddenly I've changed my mind :blush:  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

KlodsBrik said:

From all the developers that have been given Index Controllers (Knuckles) there have been rave reception - they were easy to install and worked very well - they will make a strong addition to the Valve Index VR bundle, and will also be strong incentives to be added to HTC Vive and Pimax 5K installations. As with most VR its another example of you need to try it to really understand what it offers. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

inovator
Consultant
I think the knuckles will be great. I'm not going to say they will be bad because I'm jelous I can't have them. But I'll still be very happy with the touch controls 

kojack
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:
Interesting - thanks for this. Just doing a little research into the package and I see your using v.2.2 - any chance to use v2.4 or v2.8 which has many of the features that would address the above criticisms?

If we're that far behind it definitely should be updated. Way above my pay-grade though. 🙂
(Mods have no control over the forum itself, we can't even make new boards)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

jab
Rising Star

CrashFu said:
Have you seen the knuckles controllers?   Apparently people will pay for pinky-and-ring-finger tracking, even when it means using a ginormous, awkward controller you have to strap your hands into to use  (that will almost certainly cost more than Touch controllers, because of the extra tech and materials)

People have been dreaming about proper functional hand representation in VR since the early days. Building sweaty cumbersome glove systems that pretty much where the definition of impractical. And now when we finally have a practical solution to the problem, suddenly it's not needed any more? Stuff like this is why this forum some times get labeled as a fan boy site.
nmh7lfw4rdnm.jpg

jab said:

People have been dreaming about proper functional hand representation in VR since the early days. Building sweaty cumbersome glove systems that pretty much where the definition of impractical. And now when we finally have a practical solution to the problem, suddenly it's not needed any more? Stuff like this is why this forum some times get labeled as a fan boy site.
nmh7lfw4rdnm.jpg

It'll only be apparent in a years time or so, weather the extra finger tracking is something that gets adopted for games generally, or whether it becomes the exception. Until then I think we're all entitled to opinions on that likelihood. I've never really gone for the fan-boy/troll argument when expressing agreeing or disagreeing with people... I'd rather argue on the points being made, unless of course a poster contributes nothing except baiting other users, then I'll call them out.

Personally I'd rather not have the strap across the back of my hand unless it's something that'll get used a lot and I'm not sure it will. You'll only really need it when releasing a grip in VR whilst at the same time, you're not wanting to keep a firm grip on the controller for movement of the thumbstick or pressing of the other buttons, which is when you really need to keep a firm grip regardless of whether you want to release something... so that's why I think I'd prefer a grip button for its practical use.

Proper hand representation I think will come with something entirely different, such as camera based finger/hand tracking and maybe eventually in addition to that, some sort of device that sends impulses to your hand's nerves to make you think you're getting physical feedback.