cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

jayhawk
Superstar

Mradr said:

jayhawk said:

CrashFu said:

For a good chunk of it - it was - even with the example of them in front behind one other - it was such a small area it didn't really matter. Even then - my camera setup didn't have that issue anyways. Comparing my camera setup to the Rift S - it is like losing half of my 4 cameras worth of tracking area. 

For me - the Rift S tracking is still a "down grade" to what I had with my CV1 setup even on the worst day where one of the cameras wasn't working correctly leaving me with 3. I think saying that Rift S is as good as the current tracking method is just a slap in the face for the people that had it working perfectly with zero or very little unnoticeable occlusion. With that said - the setup time for Rift S and CV1 is a lot cleaner and doesn't require a large amount of USB cables and there for less trouble shooting. It's all a trade off - but it is a THING that is going to be real so can't ignore or say it isn't there. Good example of why I wont be going the Rift S is because in games like Onward - I would aim my gun in one direction - turn my head to look at the other side and if I hear something - I could shoot to either scare them off or get time to turn my head back. I won whole 3v1 games by my self doing that. In this case - as soon as I turn my head - the controllers will be consider "behind me" and poof - no tracking. "Behind you" is relative to where you are looking and not where your butt is.

People will now have to make a choice - LH or Rift S tracking - and the differences both offers for their price points and their different needs. 

All front facing 2 sensor set ups will have 2 occlusion points, either behind the back where neither sensor can see or in front if you turn 180 degrees away from the sensors. I would experience occlusion in every game I played that allowed for 360. Sure if you have a 3+ sensor setup then its basically no occlusion if set up right. 

You don't know from experience Onward would have issues. Too many negative assumptions out there before anyone has even tried the game in question. Lone Echo is another one that's 'unplayable'. I would bet Onward is just fine. I try to simulate aiming and looking myself and no hand ends up directly behind my head. I've got Onward I'm going to give it a try when I get my S now.

MrDood12
Expert Protege

jayhawk said:
All front facing 2 sensor set ups will have 2 occlusion points, either behind the back where neither sensor can see or in front if you turn 180 degrees away from the sensors. I would experience occlusion in every game I played that allowed for 360. Sure if you have a 3+ sensor setup then its basically no occlusion if set up right. 

You don't know from experience Onward would have issues. Too many negative assumptions out there before anyone has even tried the game in question. Lone Echo is another one that's 'unplayable'. I would bet Onward is just fine. I try to simulate aiming and looking myself and no hand ends up directly behind my head. I've got Onward I'm going to give it a try when I get my S now.

We'll make sure that people will be able to play Onward with the Rift S and similar tracked devices.

We might post some info in next week's sitrep post of what this exactly is. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

MrDeath_ said:

jayhawk said:

We'll make sure that people will be able to play Onward with the Rift S and similar tracked devices.

We might post some info in next week's sitrep post of what this exactly is. 🙂

Can't tell you enough how much I love Onward:)) !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
So a few thoughts I have.

I briefly tested the Samsung Odyssey+. The resolution was awesome, practically no SDE. However, there was a slight blur, I believe from a diffusing layer, but I guess that is the trade-off for reducing SDE. Tracking was actually better than expected but still not great. Ultimately I liked the headset itself, but the controllers were sub-par IMO (mostly in terms of design and ergonomics). The touchpad is no replacement for real buttons. I think the Reverb at 2160P is about enough resolution as will be needed for some time (given PC performance and general cost) and might even be overkill.

Another point, anyone that has tried Oculus Go can see that the resolution and optics combo is much better than CV1. However, one point maybe that is not obvious is that a lot of Go titles are likely not running at the full resolution. Because the horsepower is not there on mobile, many games are running at lower res (I don't know the specifics per game, I think the developer docs recommend a 1024 x 1024 pixel eye buffer). So Rift S running with similar specs could actually look significantly better than Go when you factor in the increased render resolution possible on PC.

Last point, Rift S tracking may worse in some sense and better in others. For example, Rift sensor tracking is not perfect with 2 sensors (what most people probably use since it comes with the box) as you have dead zones and occlusion. Even with 3 sensors, there is a small dead zone in one corner, as well as range issues (for example, try picking virtual objects off the ground or reaching up high). Insight tracking would not have these problems, so could actually end up being better for the majority of users. Of course, the trade-off is that certain actions could not be tracked well (I think people always mention bow and arrow games) but in general I think most games would be fine.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just got a nice refurbished Rift a couple of weeks ago (usual audio ribbon problem) and also bought a 3rd sensor.  So, I hope I'm good for a couple more years, till CV-2 comes out.  

One thing for sure, it will be a very frosty day down under before I ever muck around with Window Mixed Reality (WMR) again.  I suffered with it for 5 months before seeing the Oculus light.  

When Oculus Home 2.0 haters blab on about how it sucks, I really think they owe it to themselves (and others) to shift over to WMR for a while (maybe permanently, lol!).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

I just got a nice refurbished Rift a couple of weeks ago (usual audio ribbon problem) and also bought a 3rd sensor.  So, I hope I'm good for a couple more years, till CV-2 comes out.  

One thing for sure, it will be a very frosty day down under before I ever muck around with Window Mixed Reality (WMR) again.  I suffered with it for 5 months before seeing the Oculus light.  

When Oculus Home 2.0 haters blab on about how it sucks, I really think they owe it to themselves (and others) to shift over to WMR for a while (maybe permanently, lol!).

I made the switch to WMR primarily 6+ months ago and I've enjoyed it and it works well. I use my O+ every day. I've never ripped home though other than complaining about how long it takes to load. WMR cliff house is definitely on the simple side but you spend 99% of the time in games or in SteamVR with it anyway. There's a lot of the convenience apps that don't work with the rift but do work on WMR like FPSVR that are quality of life items.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
pyro, glad to hear your O+ and WMR are both working well for you.  All my flight and racing sims have options to show the current FPS so FPSVR not something I need.  Oculus Debug tool can also do this of course.  I hope for your sake Microsoft continues to promote and develop WMR.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Still nothing on the HP Reverb release......my money is ready!!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Still nothing on the HP Reverb release......my money is ready!!!!

Just back from an Enterprise event sponsored partly by Microsoft and HP - had a longer chance to try the Reverb, and also speak with the R&D and sales team. At the moment HP are focused on the Enterprise business for their system, but will be making announcements about the consumer bundle later in the year.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Already pre-ordered via chat on the business side.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.