Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Any idea how and where valve host these kind of announcements. I doubt Facebook live ?

Valve does advertise heavily on Facebook. Here's two of their FB pages:

Zenbane said:

Any idea how and where valve host these kind of announcements. I doubt Facebook live ?

Valve does advertise heavily on Facebook. Here's two of their FB pages:

Yep, companies rarely engage in silo mentality if it means not using the best marketing tools at their disposal. There's a fare amount Facebook dislike in the forum (I'm no fan) but business is business.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

DaftnDirect said:

Yep, companies rarely engage in silo mentality if it means not using the best marketing tools at their disposal. There's a fare amount Facebook dislike in the forum (I'm no fan) but business is business.

The locked FB forums for the Steam_Dev community seems very vibrant. 
I am interested @DaftnDirect on your take why there is so much dislike, is this the whole Steam moderation, or something else?  

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729 said:

DaftnDirect said:

The locked FB forums for the Steam_Dev community seems very vibrant. 
I am interested @DaftnDirect on your take why there is so much dislike, is this the whole Steam moderation, or something else?  

I think a big part of why people dislike Facebook is just down to the way people sometimes (perhaps most times) use Facebook in a way that exhibits and exaggerates our human failings.... namely self-promotion and self-obsession. It's easier to focus dislike on the company that facilitates that behaviour rather than on the people who behave that way, it's harder to be critical of ourselves.

But if criticism of the company leads to additional scrutiny and removal of the worst kind of user, then criticism is a good thing.

There's also an element of pervasiveness that gives people a sense of loss of control or loss of choice (maybe that's the same thing), regardless of whether that sense is justified or not.

Luciferous
Consultant
I think facebook and Valve are great, Free communication and great place to play and buy games, lots of sales and both heavily investing in VR. 

I am of course a simple soul.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So what time GMT are we likely to know what the Valve index specs are tomorrow?

Luciferous
Consultant
I am running a training course tomorrow damn it. I hope they have enough stock by the time I get to order.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

CrashFu said:

It's too bad Oculus beat them to the Marvel partnership;  imagine the immersion in a Spiderman game if you had to actually do the gesture to shoot webs.
:wink:

Partnership for what? Far as I know - there really isn't a partnership - just they help to release the game for their store first. What would stop Valve to try and get a game from them instead? Plus Touch wouldn't allow you to do that - Index controllers would be more the gesture feature.

So you took the word "partnership" and replaced it with the phrase "they helped"?? lol

That's not how Intellectual Property works. There was very much a partnership involved, and Marvel did more than just "help." I'm not even sure what you mean by "help" considering it was Sanzaru who did most of the heavily lifting.

There would be plenty in place preventing Valve from getting their own Marvel game, such as a non-compete clause which is quite common. You have not been playing anything in VR for a long time so you probably don't know that Marvel Powers United is being constantly updated with new content. Even this year. So Marvel is still presently very actively involved in this Oculus exclusive. Yet you think that Marvel would suddenly sign a contract to compete against themselves??

No dude.

Show me where they are partner in a way that any games made from Marvel are lock into the Oculus store then. I didn't say Marvel help - I said Oculus help - that could include but not limited to funding the game they made for the Oculus store, buying the rights for that game for the Oculus store, etc. That doesn't mean they are LOCK into the Oculus store though and as such is not a "partnership" by the same meaning. There for - Marvel could tomorrow release a game buy-able for on Steam store if they wish. They did NOT sell the IP of Marvel to Oculus. That would be 100% stupid on Marvel side:) They are NOT competing with themselves - they are just selling software. No one is competing other than the store themselves for rights to game titles. As such - the software stores are who need to lock customer into their store fronts - not the companies that make the games. Game companies could care less (short of sells rates) how they sell it or to whom. They just want as many customers using their software as possible so they make the most profit they can.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

CrashFu said:

It's too bad Oculus beat them to the Marvel partnership;  imagine the immersion in a Spiderman game if you had to actually do the gesture to shoot webs.
:wink:

While cool that sounds like a royal pain in the ass. :#
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Soo full bundle is 999$ - headset 499$