cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest + Rift S questions..

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Here are a few questions:

1 - Are the touch controllers for the Quest and Rift S exactly the same?
2 - If so, can we buy the Quest or Rift S without the controllers? or maybe Quest + Rift S + 2 touch controllers bundle..
3 - Let's say a game is available for both Quest and Rift S, do I have to buy it twice?
4 - What about the games I already own with Rift CV1, are they transferable to Rift S and/or Quest?

Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.
24 REPLIES 24

DTH
Heroic Explorer
As far as I know and have read the games that you have for CV 1will run fine for the Rift.
I also think that you will just need to download an update for your home and no other software is needed.
That was going to be my question.  Do I need to download new software or just update what I have for my CV1/

jim1174
Protege
Is the rift s the rift cv2 ? 

CrashFu
Consultant
1:   Yes.

2:  Not sure on this one.

3:  Depends on the game!  Many notable titles have been confirmed to offer Cross-Buy, which means if you buy it for either Rift or Quest you'll get it for both.  But developers are given the choice whether they offer it or not.  I believe it will say on the individual games' store pages if they do.

4.   Rift-S will use the exact same account / store as Rift, and all existing Rift games should be inherently compatible with Rift-S   (and vice-versa).
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jim1174 said:

A big NO! It is a replacement for the Rift. It's like a Rift 1.25

neddycgoon
Protege
Will I be able to watch movies on the quest via the usb cable or do I need to upload the movie into the device?...for that matter will I even have the software available to actually watch a movie in the quest?

CrashFu
Consultant

Will I be able to watch movies on the quest via the usb cable or do I need to upload the movie into the device?...for that matter will I even have the software available to actually watch a movie in the quest?

You'll likely need to use the usb to transfer a video file onto the Quest, or use an app that allows direct streaming  (I wonder if they'll get dedicated Netflix / Hulu / Youtube apps, like the Go has?)

Oculus Video  (or 'Gallery', I think they're now calling it)  should come standard.  That will let you watch any video file you install on the device in a selection of nice virtual cinema environments, and also supports 3D video.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dooguk said:

jim1174 said:

I would say more like a Rift 1.10.

lensmandave
Superstar

dburne said:

Dooguk said:

jim1174 said:

I would say more like a Rift 1.10.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic Don. I think we'll be in for a pleasant surprise when they arrive 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.