Quest + Rift S questions.. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest + Rift S questions..

KNP54KNP54 Posts: 258
Nexus 6
Here are a few questions:

1 - Are the touch controllers for the Quest and Rift S exactly the same?
2 - If so, can we buy the Quest or Rift S without the controllers? or maybe Quest + Rift S + 2 touch controllers bundle..
3 - Let's say a game is available for both Quest and Rift S, do I have to buy it twice?
4 - What about the games I already own with Rift CV1, are they transferable to Rift S and/or Quest?

Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift CV1.

Comments

• DTHDTH Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    As far as I know and have read the games that you have for CV 1will run fine for the Rift.
    I also think that you will just need to download an update for your home and no other software is needed.
    That was going to be my question.  Do I need to download new software or just update what I have for my CV1/
  • jim1174jim1174 Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    Is the rift s the rift cv2 ? 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    1:   Yes.

2:  Not sure on this one.

3:  Depends on the game!  Many notable titles have been confirmed to offer Cross-Buy, which means if you buy it for either Rift or Quest you'll get it for both.  But developers are given the choice whether they offer it or not.  I believe it will say on the individual games' store pages if they do.

4.   Rift-S will use the exact same account / store as Rift, and all existing Rift games should be inherently compatible with Rift-S   (and vice-versa).
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited April 30
    jim1174 said:

A big NO! It is a replacement for the Rift. It's like a Rift 1.25

• neddycgoonneddycgoon Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Will I be able to watch movies on the quest via the usb cable or do I need to upload the movie into the device?...for that matter will I even have the software available to actually watch a movie in the quest?
    Will I be able to watch movies on the quest via the usb cable or do I need to upload the movie into the device?...for that matter will I even have the software available to actually watch a movie in the quest?
    You'll likely need to use the usb to transfer a video file onto the Quest, or use an app that allows direct streaming  (I wonder if they'll get dedicated Netflix / Hulu / Youtube apps, like the Go has?)

Oculus Video  (or 'Gallery', I think they're now calling it)  should come standard.  That will let you watch any video file you install on the device in a selection of nice virtual cinema environments, and also supports 3D video.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,400 Valuable Player
    Dooguk said:
    jim1174 said:

I would say more like a Rift 1.10.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 243
    Nexus 6
    dburne said:
    Dooguk said:
    jim1174 said:

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic Don. I think we'll be in for a pleasant surprise when they arrive :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,400 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Dooguk said:
    jim1174 said:

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic Don. I think we'll be in for a pleasant surprise when they arrive :)
    That would be nice!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • XPRMX17XPRMX17 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 1
    Will the Oculus Quest have external storage/ extra storage, like an Micro SD card?
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 601
    Neo
    no, internal storage only
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,733 Valuable Player
    KNP54 said:
    Here are a few questions:

1 - Are the touch controllers for the Quest and Rift S exactly the same?
    2 - If so, can we buy the Quest or Rift S without the controllers? or maybe Quest + Rift S + 2 touch controllers bundle..
    3 - Let's say a game is available for both Quest and Rift S, do I have to buy it twice?
    4 - What about the games I already own with Rift CV1, are they transferable to Rift S and/or Quest?

1) Yup

2) Nope.

3) Depends entirely on the developer. Some will have you only buying the game once and some will require you to buy 2 different versions.

4) The games you already own from the CV1 Oculus Store are tied to the account that you bought them on. So if you register the Rift S to the same account you'll be able to play your CV1 games that you previously played on your Rift on your Rift S without a problem

The Quest I think has it's own Store, as with the answer to question 3 it depends on the developer. We don't know any details about the Quest Store yet but I would imagine that you'll have an Oculus Home environment and you should be able to log in using your Oculus account username and password. Once you've logged in I'm expecting any cross platform titles that you don't need to buy again will be in your Library and you can download and install them from there.

I don't know for certain because they haven't released any details yet but I can't think of any reasons why what I've typed above would be incorrect.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DTHDTH Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    Looks like Quest will have a new home. Any word on the S as far as a new home?
    Will the Rift software be updated or do we download new software?
    Is it May 21 yet?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,527 Volunteer Moderator
    Rift S is already supported in the PTC version of the Oculus desktop app, I believe. Same home and everything, since they specifically don’t want to split the PC ecosystem between CV1 and Rift S. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 726
    3Jane
    snowdog said:

4) The games you already own from the CV1 Oculus Store are tied to the account that you bought them on. So if you register the Rift S to the same account you'll be able to play your CV1 games that you previously played on your Rift on your Rift S without a problem

I don't know for certain because they haven't released any details yet but I can't think of any reasons why what I've typed above would be incorrect.
    Now that is an interesting concept Snowdog...
    I'm seriously considering the 'S' (no issue with the silly sound as I have nice headphones) to compliment my Rift rather than replace.
    Wonder what would happen if me & mrs ratty (or ms. mouse, the granddaughter) were to be using both devices at the same time?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm very new to the VR game (don't have a pc that could run the Rift so I've stayed out of it until now with the Quest), so I have a couple questions:

1. How much space does an average game take up on the Quest (i.e. the 64gb Quest will hold 2 games? 4 games? etc)

2. How much approximately does a game for the Quest cost?

I'm pretty excited to finally jump into VR after the "VR Experiences" at places like the Battletech centers 20 years ago :)

Thanks!
    Quest games will generally be smaller than their Rift equivalents (probably many will be under 1 GB). Prices will match the Rift game prices, since many games support cross-buy between Rift and Quest. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    Quest games will generally be smaller than their Rift equivalents (probably many will be under 1 GB). Prices will match the Rift game prices, since many games support cross-buy between Rift and Quest. 
    Thanks for the info!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,733 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    snowdog said:

Now that is an interesting concept Snowdog...
    I'm seriously considering the 'S' (no issue with the silly sound as I have nice headphones) to compliment my Rift rather than replace.
    Wonder what would happen if me & mrs ratty (or ms. mouse, the granddaughter) were to be using both devices at the same time?

I think you'll be fine as long as you're not playing the same game at the same time. There was a thread about this a while back about two headsets sharing the same account but I can't remember what Cyber said about it now.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I've been curious about that, as well  (the multiple headsets on same account, thing)

If Oculus wants to really maximize the value of Cross-Buy and Cross-Play  (and thereby encourage people to buy both the Rift-S and Quest in the first place)  allowing people to play multiplayer games together (on the same account)  seems like a smart move.   Imagine how much fun people could have, playing games together with a friend who is literally in the next room over, and the value of only having to buy a single copy of the game in question.

Just tag whoever logs in second as "[account name]'s Guest"  or "[account name] 2"  or "[account name] Jr."  or something, and everyone will know what's up.

The only complication I can think of is how they'd handle a situation where someone's guest violate's a game's code of conduct, or something.   Like, do you punish the account-holder as if they had broken the rules themself?   "Christ, Derek, I let you play Dead & Buried with me ONE TIME and you get my entire Oculus Account banned. THANKS."
    I’ve been think about this as well. Since cross-buy is a thing, you’ll want to use the same account on your Quest as you do on your Rift. But since cross-play is also a thing, it would be nice to be able to cross-play between your own devices.

I think Oculus needs to loosen up the rules around simultaneous play by multiple users on one account—you should be allowed a login for each device registered on the account.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited May 4
    One problem - what is there stopping someone just signing or sending packets to say that is on their same account? Even Steam has that problem with schools and other mass amount of people. Its one thing to go after a company - it's another to go after people.

What would stop a group of people creating profiles for an account - playing in the dorm room - buying the software once - and playing different games on the same account? That would be totally fuck up for the devs that work hard on their games to only be cheated out of the use of them. Sure they are getting lot of players - but someone still has to pay the bills to keep the updates/hot fixes coming in, improvements, servers, etc.
    If a dev opts-in for Cross-Buy in the first place, they're already agreeing to let a single copy of a game be shared among as many people have headsets registered to that one account, just not concurrently.  

So what we're talking here is the difference between one person buying a game and letting people borrow the disc / cartridge when they aren't using it.. vs. someone buying a game and inviting their friends to play split-screen multiplayer, or hosting a LAN Party or something.

But maybe there could be a separate opt-in to allow this sort of thing, called Group Play?  So a dev could opt-in for both Cross-Buy AND Group Play if they want people to be able to play together off one account's shared game,  or just Cross-Buy alone if they only intend it for a single user to access on either their Rift or their Quest.

Or "Limited Group Play /  Duo Play" to specifically only allow 1 Rift and 1 Quest to play concurrently.