MVP
MVP

dburne said:
Does the Rift S even have a Mic?

Wow. LOL.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

@Luciferous - The Rift -S has had positive reviews too.

Yep great entry level headset appealing to masses. I have no doubt the rift s will be a solid product.

not arguing that, appreciate convenience and price point are bigger considerations for some. I am Sure it will sell much better than the index.

Not also arguing about index price either prob about 200 too much easy.

however the knuckles give me future options. As they are independent of headset, if another headset launches in years time, I can still use knuckles. 

We now now might see more headset manufacturers adopting knuckles and concentrating more on the headsets.

Yea, I originally predicted 899 when the specs leaked out and it's only 100 bucks above that even though some of the specs I was anticipating didn't make it. 200 too much sounds about right to me based on the specs and the build quality.

So it's overpriced and may be obsolete as soon as next year. Ah well, I'm still going to get one f it. Only live once. I look forward to flipping off all the kids.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

however the knuckles give me future options. As they are independent of headset, if another headset launches in years time, I can still use knuckles. 

We now now might see more headset manufacturers adopting knuckles and concentrating more on the headsets.

What future options in the VR Software do you see taking place with Knuckles? Be specific if you can.

Do you think AAA Development Studios are going to suddenly be like, "Holy sheit, our pinky finger now has full tracking presence! Stop the presses! Cancel all existing projects!! Refactor all code!!!"
???

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Some thoughts after chewing on it, possibly a bit contradictory.
1) if oculus had released a package with those specs at those prices I am convinced there would have been an uproar due to huge price but small increase in performance esp from the oculus haters . It confuses why they (not necessarily this forum here) are claiming to be ok with index specs and price and considering getting one.
2) given how much cheaper touch is, as well as cameras for inside out tracking it does at the same time show me that oculus *could* have (maybe still could) made a rift X bundle with inside out tracking, oculus touch controls and similar hmd specs to index for £599 - £649 (going on the index hmd only price and the oculus touch price)
The specs are a nice modest upgrade but the price is blooming nuts.
(Vive pro must surely be sunk now though)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I totally agree that if the Index had been in a pricerange between $600-$800 it might have been a fair competitor to Oculus. To me none of it makes sense.

Be good, die great !

Wildt
Consultant
The lack of a wireless option is the only thing keeping me from ordering it.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Valve obviously learned nothing from HTC's troubles. The only thing I can gather is that Valve is trying to rely on Valve money the way Oculus has relied on Facebook money. If that's the case, then they are in for a very bumpy ride!

I agree with that bigmike. I just think Oculus has the view that that a higher spec headset probably wouldn't contribute to VR much at the moment other than to satisfy enthusiast desires.

And that's where I still have Pimax enthusiast recommendations ringing in my ears and I can't help wonder what experience they're having (ignoring any QS or price issues), what they're using their headsets for and what frame-rates they're getting with what supersampling settings etc. Are they having a high-end experience?

Here we're looking at a much more realistic offering with the Index, 20 deg increase in FOV is exactly the right move I think. But even this has trade-offs. 20 deg means 44% greater demand on GPU if PPD improvement is offered to go with that FOV increase or 20% less PPD than if the same screens were used with 100 deg.

I just wish Nvidia had made larger jumps in performance per price than it has over the last 3 years, so I could join the ranks of those being much less concerned over performance issues with titles I like to play.

pyroth309
Visionary

Some thoughts after chewing on it, possibly a bit contradictory.
1) if oculus had released a package with those specs at those prices I am convinced there would have been an uproar due to huge price but small increase in performance esp from the oculus haters . It confuses why they (not necessarily this forum here) are claiming to be ok with index specs and price and considering getting one.
2) given how much cheaper touch is, as well as cameras for inside out tracking it does at the same time show me that oculus *could* have (maybe still could) made a rift X bundle with inside out tracking, oculus touch controls and similar hmd specs to index for £599 - £649 (going on the index hmd only price and the oculus touch price)
The specs are a nice modest upgrade but the price is blooming nuts.
(Vive pro must surely be sunk now though)

I've seen most people on Valve Index reddit and other places be super critical of the price. If they had stuck closer to the original Knuckles estimates of 180 bucks and 150 for TWO of the new base stations, we're looking at a much less sticker shocking $749 bundle. But at $999, it's going to be very low sales. Still not as bad as the Vive pro though lol.

I'm getting one because I want flawless tracking as my VR room is static and everything I've seen says that Light House 2 is better than 1 in pretty much every way. I also bought the Quest earlier for gaming on the go and moving room to room.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
*** LIVE VIDEO *** of VR community reaction to Valve Index price...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959