cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an index preorder a suckers move? Maybe.

inovator
Consultant
Notice oculus allowed many more reviews (before preorders) some of which used rift s and quest for a long hands on. Say what you want any of you oculus bashers but they allowed that because they are proud of their products.Valve in my opinion knows it would have reduced preorders. Some movies aren't allowed previews for that reason. To buy the index without very lengthy use by reviewers would not be smart. Wait for launch. Reviews then decide.
120 REPLIES 120

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege
Demand will outstrip supply which ever way you look at it. 

inovator
Consultant
We don't know that yet. Also what matters are sales in the long term.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
It cost £919 for me here in the UK for the full bundle. I do really want Valve Index but I was gutted yesterday when I saw the price.

I really want that 135° FOV and high resolution! But it's just so much money!
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only if Valve make very small amounts of stock available. They're going to have almost as much trouble shifting these as HTC has had with the Vive Pro.

Their pricing has been pure madness. You can get a Quest and a Rift S and have plenty of money for games for the price of a Valve Index.

And still no news or information about these three games that Valve are supposed to be working on.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to give some information about at least ONE of those games alongside the announcement yesterday? To have one of these games available for the launch?

Valve have really made a mess of this launch so far: a higher price than everyone expected (apart from my good self, I said it would be around a grand for the full bundle), base stations that are supposed to cost less to manufacture being available for £10 MORE than base stations for the Vive and no news of any software.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So which VR Product(s) do you own? I asked you that in another thread and didn't get an answer. What is your VR Hardware history? Which VR Software Titles are your favorite?

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Only if Valve make very small amounts of stock available. They're going to have almost as much trouble shifting these as HTC has had with the Vive Pro.

Their pricing has been pure madness. You can get a Quest and a Rift S and have plenty of money for games for the price of a Valve Index.

And still no news or information about these three games that Valve are supposed to be working on.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to give some information about at least ONE of those games alongside the announcement yesterday? To have one of these games available for the launch?

Valve have really made a mess of this launch so far: a higher price than everyone expected (apart from my good self, I said it would be around a grand for the full bundle), base stations that are supposed to cost less to manufacture being available for £10 MORE than base stations for the Vive and no news of any software.

They will probably get some decent sales initially from the PC-VR sim enthusiasts. Flight simmers, racing simmers, space simmers. There are a lot of these type that don't necessarily rely on some of the made for VR games. Many were hesitant on going with a company like Pimax, and were not that excited with Vive pro (folks like myself).

So the Valve Index is getting some serious attention in the above areas, although the price point for those that do not already have base stations or controllers is tough for many to swallow.
I would be among the latter, so have already pre-ordered a Rift S and may not make up my mind on an Index until after using the Rift S and see how I like it in my sim games.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@dburne - Valve index isn't such a massive jump in resolution from the Rift -S, so why would Sim enthusiasts go for it and not just choose the cheaper option which is the Rift -S? Matt Wagner seems to think Rift -S looks great in DCS World.

I'm sure you have seen this link already in these forums. 

https://uploadvr.com/dcs-developer-on-oculus-rift-s-cockpit-resolution-i-can-read-everything/

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@RedRizla - I think SIM Enthusiasts are going for Reverb. Seems the best overall visuals available from an HMD. And due to the nature of SIMS, the fact that it uses 2-front-facing cameras isn't much of an issue.

However, one trend that seems to be popping up is that the Valve Index seems the smarter option over anything Pimax. Essentially, Valve just made Pimax 5k/8K look Super Derp.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
 During all the hype yesterday twice I came across statements that Index had aweful godrays compared to the current market, but with all info coming out I cant seem to find it again.
 Really wonder if Valve have pulled yet another Steam controler move and will have to stockpile Indexes for years to come in the deepest of Area 51.
Be good, die great !