cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an index preorder a suckers move? Maybe.

inovator
Consultant
Notice oculus allowed many more reviews (before preorders) some of which used rift s and quest for a long hands on. Say what you want any of you oculus bashers but they allowed that because they are proud of their products.Valve in my opinion knows it would have reduced preorders. Some movies aren't allowed previews for that reason. To buy the index without very lengthy use by reviewers would not be smart. Wait for launch. Reviews then decide.
120 REPLIES 120

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Due to release some time during the next decade. Maybe. Just saying  😄 😛 😄

Well, they wont release unfinished games !

The apes on the planet are in for a blast at least.
Then again what do I know, im just a nobody :smile:
Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

forestguy said:

Zenbane said:

@RedRizla - I think SIM Enthusiasts are going for Reverb. Seems the best overall visuals available from an HMD. And due to the nature of SIMS, the fact that it uses 2-front-facing cameras isn't much of an issue.

However, one trend that seems to be popping up is that the Valve Index seems the smarter option over anything Pimax. Essentially, Valve just made Pimax 5k/8K look Super Derp.

Hmm...lets see the full reviews (with games etc) first before Pimax bashing.
If you bought the Pimax as a kickstarter product (like many did) the Valve Index is not really a step up especially after all the hype. The specs alone with the Valve Index is underwhelming  e.g FOV and Resolution.

I'm referring to some of the stuff I've read others talking about (which I can dig up later). But we have a full Pimax Megathread here that went on for over a year. So any "Pimax bashing" is most certainly based on watching the promises of the Kickstarter constantly changing over time.

Now if you want to Police the forum for any "bashing" then maybe start with all of it, including the long history of Oculus bashing. We've already had posts this month saying "RIP Oculus" lol.

Your post reminds me of how "Oculus Bashing" is treated so commonplace and ordinary, while bashing any other product is so incredibly out of place and taboo! lol

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:
Would that be Half Life they are talking about? If it is I think the need to change the name to Whole Life by the time that's released. Because that's how long I would feel I have waited to see this game in VR.

lol .. At this point its a meme.
 They have been talking about 3 exclusive VR titles for soooo loooong.
And they cant even reveal a title at Index reveal. 🙂
Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KlodsBrik said:

RedRizla said:
Would that be Half Life they are talking about? If it is I think the need to change the name to Whole Life by the time that's released. Because that's how long I would feel I have waited to see this game in VR.

lol .. At this point its a meme.
 They have been talking about 3 exclusive VR titles for soooo loooong.
And they cant even reveal a title at Index reveal. 🙂

Yep. And if Valve takes years to complete a task, it's called Valve Time. If Oculus takes years, it's "RIP Oculus."
😄

inovator
Consultant
By the time valve finishes something Riga mortise will set in.

forestguy
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

forestguy said:

Zenbane said:

@RedRizla - I think SIM Enthusiasts are going for Reverb. Seems the best overall visuals available from an HMD. And due to the nature of SIMS, the fact that it uses 2-front-facing cameras isn't much of an issue.

However, one trend that seems to be popping up is that the Valve Index seems the smarter option over anything Pimax. Essentially, Valve just made Pimax 5k/8K look Super Derp.

Hmm...lets see the full reviews (with games etc) first before Pimax bashing.
If you bought the Pimax as a kickstarter product (like many did) the Valve Index is not really a step up especially after all the hype. The specs alone with the Valve Index is underwhelming  e.g FOV and Resolution.

I'm referring to some of the stuff I've read others talking about (which I can dig up later). But we have a full Pimax Megathread here that went on for over a year. So any "Pimax bashing" is most certainly based on watching the promises of the Kickstarter constantly changing over time.

Now if you want to Police the forum for any "bashing" then maybe start with all of it, including the long history of Oculus bashing. We've already had posts this month saying "RIP Oculus" lol.

Your post reminds me of how "Oculus Bashing" is treated so commonplace and ordinary, while bashing any other product is so incredibly out of place and taboo! lol

Fair point, however, lets take FOV for instance. Valve Index is very sketchy about how this and 130 degrees seems to be  achieved e.g moving it closer to the eyes etc. :-S  Pimax have at least been clear by giving the user 3 levels of FOV. 130, 150, and 170 degrees. Pimax is also compatible with LH and VIVE wands and knuckles, can play oculus software 'natively' without 3rd Party interventions like revive. The resolution seems much better as well, although i'd like to see the reviews first. I'm just disappointed on the specs because they haven't moved VR forward after all the hype. The HP Reverb is for me, the one to watch although the FOV is 'only' 114, the resolution is pushing the envelope much bigger than the Value Index. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

forestguy said:
 Pimax have at least been clear by giving the user 3 levels of FOV. 130, 150, and 170 degrees.

Well now, that is a bit disingenuous. Pimax wasn't clear about those 3 levels of FOV until well AFTER they made a promise of 200 degrees FOV at 8K resolution. Then when it was fully funded and about a year went by... suddenly reality set in and those lower level FOV settings became the true product feature.

If we are going to be unbiased and honest, the Pimax promised 200dFOV and delivered 130-170 after taking everyone's money. That's not "being clear."

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I've found the specs disappointing too tbh. If they're going to release a 1600p headset they REALLY need to knock a few hundred quid off the bloody price.

At this moment in time the Pimax 5K+ is looking like a better buy than the Valve Index, and I NEVER thought I would say that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Yup, I've found the specs disappointing too tbh. If they're going to release a 1600p headset they REALLY need to knock a few hundred quid off the bloody price.

At this moment in time the Pimax 5K+ is looking like a better buy than the Valve Index, and I NEVER thought I would say that.

Well you do have this secret love affair with the Pimax 5K. You talk about it every so often. I'm not judging, but just buy it already! lol

forestguy
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

forestguy said:
 Pimax have at least been clear by giving the user 3 levels of FOV. 130, 150, and 170 degrees.

Well now, that is a bit disingenuous. Pimax wasn't clear about those 3 levels of FOV until well AFTER they made a promise of 200 degrees FOV at 8K resolution. Then when it was fully funded and about a year went by... suddenly reality set in and those lower level FOV settings became the true product feature.

If we are going to be unbiased and honest, the Pimax promised 200dFOV and delivered 130-170 after taking everyone's money. That's not "being clear."

That is true, however, they still delivered on 130-170 FOV whereby every other VR devices was 95-110 FOV. At least they attempted to move things forward, I've tried the Pimax at my friends house and it is like looking through a Ski Mask, while with my Rift it is like looking through a pair of Binoculars.