cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook F8 event Discussion Megathread

LZoltowski
Champion
91rexl2azawm.jpg

Hey folks you know the drill, F8 is happening, this thread is for all the discussions, updates and news from the event.

Facebook is set to release both the Quest and Rift S at the event.

The event will be live streamed and can be watched here:
UPDATE: NEW LINK TO WATCH: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FacebookforDevelopers/videos/

Here are the times for the live stream:
San Francisco: 10AM
London 6:00 PM
New York: 1:00 PM
Moscow: 8:00 PM
Berlin 7:00 PM 
Tokyo (May 1st) 2:00 AM
Melbourne (May 1st) 3:00AM
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
69 REPLIES 69

LZoltowski
Champion
Example of that here

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/1123657369240530945
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant

nalex66 said:

Digikid1 said:

$700CDN for the Quest!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

WAY overpriced.

We're actually getting a better deal than Americans at that price, because it includes all taxes. For us in Ontario, if you deduct the 13% HST, you get $618.58 CAD. That converts to about $460 before tax for the 128 GB version, while the list price is $499 USD.

Hmm. Didn’t know they included the taxes in that price.  Usually when I order an Oculus product it’s from Amazon.ca. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Little peek at it:

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Neokin
Adventurer
I didn't see anyone mentionning the teasing from the last speaker. Literally during the last minute.

With that smile and "The next phase of social VR is on the horizon", I feel like there are going to drop something really huge at the next Oculus Connect!

CrashFu
Consultant
I'd love to see what happens to those realistic avatars if you do something like, set your Touch on the ground and walk away from it.  Or take off the headset, even. 

Hoping they can apply all this realistic human muscle mapping to avatars that aren't human, too,  because I'm really hoping I'll get to be a robot or monster or something one of these days.   I put on my Rift to get away from the boring human meat body, not to realistically recreate it.
:tongue:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

god_alom
Adventurer
Peoplw who attended the event get a free Oculus quest, love to see a video about that.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

Peoplw who attended the event get a free Oculus quest, love to see a video about that.

Footage from when she heard the news. Imagine when she gets the free Quest.

Be good, die great !

kojack
MVP
MVP
Better video of the entire avatar segment:

He does say it's a few years away from consumer release, but they are working on it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

CrashFu
Consultant

Considering they all paid nearly $600 for those f8 tickets, I wouldn't really call them free.

In fact, it's more like they paid $600 for a Quest early-release, and got to listen to facebook execs talk as a bonus, lol.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Luciferous
Consultant

kojack said:

Better video of the entire avatar segment:

He does say it's a few years away from consumer release, but they are working on it.

I thought great another cool bit of tech we can’t have.