cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest + Rift S questions..

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Here are a few questions:

1 - Are the touch controllers for the Quest and Rift S exactly the same?
2 - If so, can we buy the Quest or Rift S without the controllers? or maybe Quest + Rift S + 2 touch controllers bundle..
3 - Let's say a game is available for both Quest and Rift S, do I have to buy it twice?
4 - What about the games I already own with Rift CV1, are they transferable to Rift S and/or Quest?

Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Dooguk said:

jim1174 said:

Is the rift s the rift cv2 ? 

A big NO! It is a replacement for the Rift. It's like a Rift 1.25

I would say more like a Rift 1.10.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic Don. I think we'll be in for a pleasant surprise when they arrive 🙂

That would be nice!

XPRMX17
Honored Guest
Will the Oculus Quest have external storage/ extra storage, like an Micro SD card?

MikeF
Trustee
no, internal storage only

Anonymous
Not applicable

KNP54 said:

Here are a few questions:

1 - Are the touch controllers for the Quest and Rift S exactly the same?
2 - If so, can we buy the Quest or Rift S without the controllers? or maybe Quest + Rift S + 2 touch controllers bundle..
3 - Let's say a game is available for both Quest and Rift S, do I have to buy it twice?
4 - What about the games I already own with Rift CV1, are they transferable to Rift S and/or Quest?

1) Yup

2) Nope.

3) Depends entirely on the developer. Some will have you only buying the game once and some will require you to buy 2 different versions.

4) The games you already own from the CV1 Oculus Store are tied to the account that you bought them on. So if you register the Rift S to the same account you'll be able to play your CV1 games that you previously played on your Rift on your Rift S without a problem

The Quest I think has it's own Store, as with the answer to question 3 it depends on the developer. We don't know any details about the Quest Store yet but I would imagine that you'll have an Oculus Home environment and you should be able to log in using your Oculus account username and password. Once you've logged in I'm expecting any cross platform titles that you don't need to buy again will be in your Library and you can download and install them from there.

I don't know for certain because they haven't released any details yet but I can't think of any reasons why what I've typed above would be incorrect.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
Looks like Quest will have a new home. Any word on the S as far as a new home?
Will the Rift software be updated or do we download new software?
Is it May 21 yet?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Rift S is already supported in the PTC version of the Oculus desktop app, I believe. Same home and everything, since they specifically don’t want to split the PC ecosystem between CV1 and Rift S. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RattyUK
Trustee

snowdog said:

4) The games you already own from the CV1 Oculus Store are tied to the account that you bought them on. So if you register the Rift S to the same account you'll be able to play your CV1 games that you previously played on your Rift on your Rift S without a problem

I don't know for certain because they haven't released any details yet but I can't think of any reasons why what I've typed above would be incorrect.

Now that is an interesting concept Snowdog...
I'm seriously considering the 'S' (no issue with the silly sound as I have nice headphones) to compliment my Rift rather than replace.
Wonder what would happen if me & mrs ratty (or ms. mouse, the granddaughter) were to be using both devices at the same time?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RHunterr
Expert Protege
I'm very new to the VR game (don't have a pc that could run the Rift so I've stayed out of it until now with the Quest), so I have a couple questions:

1. How much space does an average game take up on the Quest (i.e. the 64gb Quest will hold 2 games? 4 games? etc)

2. How much approximately does a game for the Quest cost?

I'm pretty excited to finally jump into VR after the "VR Experiences" at places like the Battletech centers 20 years ago 🙂

Thanks!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Quest games will generally be smaller than their Rift equivalents (probably many will be under 1 GB). Prices will match the Rift game prices, since many games support cross-buy between Rift and Quest. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RHunterr
Expert Protege

nalex66 said:

Quest games will generally be smaller than their Rift equivalents (probably many will be under 1 GB). Prices will match the Rift game prices, since many games support cross-buy between Rift and Quest. 

Thanks for the info!