cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A picture says one thousand words

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
While the current rhetoric revolves around hardware specs of the latest round of VR HMD releases, I'm actually a bit more interested in how the VR Industry itself is about to evolve.

We are going from this:

To this:
91d8aca06iky.jpg

At the Industry level, this is quite the breakthrough! Granted, at the consumer prosumer enthusiast level, the self-contained VR Hardware kits still leave something to be desired for those wanting the highest end experiences. But if the evolution of the Desktop to Laptop to Smart Device taught us anything... it's that it won't be very long before VR falls in line as well. And we've come this far in only 3 years!

I'm actually rather exciting about the overall evolution itself. ❤️
18 REPLIES 18

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

@Zenbane 

I think you’re comparing Apples to Oranges there. You are comparing PCVR to a Standalone.

Not only that, you missed out a bit of PCVR history there because we already have this.

TPcsst

And this Vive Pro Wireless Kit.

HTC already has this for Vive Focus

So so there is no about to evolve it’s already evolved.

More importantly Quest got this:

b44appkfgr9x.png

And it doesn't need this:
znhscve5f3n1.jpg

Enthusiasts have been lucky for the last couple of years having had VR to fool around with, now vr have evolved so far that the general public will also be able to enjoy it and it will go mainstream.

I embrace it wholeheartedly !

Be good, die great !

kojack
MVP
MVP
cyqz5qpz18jm.jpg9t2qn1veqjbu.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane 

I think you’re comparing Apples to Oranges there. You are comparing PCVR to a Standalone.
No, I'm not comparing Apples to Oranges, nor am I comparing PCVR to Standalone.

Read this part again:
But if the evolution of the Desktop to Laptop to Smart Device taught us
anything... it's that it won't be very long before VR falls in line as
well.

Luciferous
Consultant
Would like a wireless option for the Index. If I am going for it another 300 wouldn't matter.

pyroth309
Visionary

Would like a wireless option for the Index. If I am going for it another 300 wouldn't matter.

Ditto. I'm sure we will definitely get one since the HTC Vive wireless adapter works on the Vive Pro which has similar panels. Might get restricted to 90hz though.

kzintzi
Trustee
I can see the current line of stand alone VR devices evolving over time into AR as the tech improves, gets lighter and has better batteries (laptop=>tablet/smartphone), and I see the PC based VR devices continuing to be around and always being the hardcore/high performance end of the spectrum regardless (486-DX4120 => i7) - it'll just end up being "full immersion" or whatever the current high end tech is at the time that you can't do with the Yoyodyne headmaster7000(tm).

when consoles started to "get good" (not looking to have a debate about when that happened - I'm going to say that was the original Playstation, as I remember being blown away compared to anything earlier) they said that the home PC game market was over, but it's been 20+ years now since I read that in a magazine, I'm still playing games on a PC, and I don't actually like playing games on consoles.

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

CrashFu
Consultant
@kojack -  tfw  you wanted to be a VR Trooper but ended up a Big Bad Beetle Borg instead.  :disappointed:

(I was SO into that show when I was a kid.  Beetle Borgs, I mean. Ironically, I always thought VR Troopers was kinda boring.)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

Zenbane said:

@Zenbane 

No, I'm not comparing Apples to Oranges, nor am I comparing PCVR to Standalone.

Read this part again:
well.

Well, my nearly 2 year old desktop with an i7-8700k and GTX 1080 Ti absolutely smokes my 2 month old laptop with an i7-8750H and RTX 2070 and both crush my 4 month old android phone. Mobile will never catch up to laptops and laptops will never catch up to desktops. The reason is the bigger and heavier you can make something, the more capable it can be made. Sure, mobile will eventually catch up to today's laptops and desktops, but by that standard the Quest is already more capable than that first gaming PC I built back in 2000-something. I don't think that's relevant.

But as said, the Quest is very impressive compared to the Go and Gear VR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well, my nearly 2 year old desktop with an i7-8700k and GTX 1080 Ti absolutely smokes my 2 month old laptop with an i7-8750H and RTX 2070 and both crush my 4 month old android phone.

That's nice, but I think you missed the point. When you say things like "smokes" and "crush" what are you referring to exactly? I can see where the differences are centered around mostly "speed" but not so much capability. What is it that you think you can do on a desktop that you cannot do on a laptop? Be specific about capability.

Mobile will never catch up to laptops and laptops will never catch up
to desktops.

Except that they already did. In your example above, all you did was bring up an Android Phone. I'm not talking about phones, read my quote again:

well.

Here's some info to help clarify:
The computing power of a flagship smartphone generally rivals the best laptops and desktop computers of about five years ago. However, with the aid of multiple processors, 6+ gigabytes of RAM, and powerful graphics hardware, the best smartphones and tablets can be as powerful as a mid-range desktop computer.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001398.htm

In fact, as of today: the Traffic on Mobile Devices has officially surpassed the traffic coming off of both Desktops and Laptops for consumers:

So in terms of computing power and capabilities, Smart Devices have caught up from a 5 year window. In terms of global traffic, Mobile Devices surpass everything else. And this is important because this fact is what is driving Mobile Computing forward. We're even getting Quantum Computing:

but by that standard the Quest is already more capable than that first
gaming PC I built back in 2000-something. I don't think that's relevant.

Of course it is relevant. We were talking about computing as it exists in the Industry and on this Planet, not as it exists in the exact Desktop, Laptop, and Android Phone that you decided to purchase for yourself personally. Your personal examples lack the relevance. I'm speaking to Industry and the Globe.