cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

This new trailer does look interesting ... must ... resist...

https://youtu.be/a03FqiDpfqk

It may be my last hope for pancake gaming - it just went gold, specs and more:

"Over the
past year, we’ve had the best time getting hyped up for the game’s launch on
May 14. From our announcement trailer set to the sounds of Andrew W.K., to Danny
Brown’s Open World escapade – ain’t it funny how it happens? Between our
hands-on events around the globe, our reveal of cheat codes making a big
comeback, and so much more, it’s clear the fun is just getting started, with
less than a month to go before our hot pink global takeover.

As we prepare for the insanity, we put together a handy guide with some
important details that should get you up to speed for launch.

GRAPHICS AND FPS

On PlayStation 4 RAGE 2 runs at 1080p with a framerate cap of 30 FPS, and on
Xbox One it runs at 900p with a framerate cap of 30 FPS. We focused on speed,
so on Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro that cap is raised to 60 FPS, and the
game runs at 1080p on both platforms. PC users can run at any resolution their
system supports, complete with uncapped framerates.

PC RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

• Requires a 64-bit
    processor and operating system

(64-Bit versions)

• Processor: Intel Core
    i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

• Memory: 8GB RAM

• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070
    8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB

• Storage: 50 GB available space

PC MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS

• Requires a 64-bit
    processor and operating system

(64-Bit versions)

• Processor: Intel Core
    i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X

• Memory: 8GB RAM

• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780
    3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB

• Storage: 50 GB available space

ADDITIONAL VISUAL FEATURES

• FOV Slider (50 to 120 degrees)

• Show HUD (on/off)

• Reticle Style
    (default/simple/none)

• Motion Blur (on/off)

• Depth of Field (on/off)

• Ultra-wide (21:9) and
    Super Ultra-wide (32:9) display support (PC)

We can’t wait to
see you in the wastelands of RAGE 2 when the game launches globally on May 14!"

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.

Same here - looks awesome, 1920x1080 seems the target for most, should work nicely on my plasma. Using a gamepay may be the biggest problem to me, maybe mouse + keyboard will feel more natural... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Urgh... Rage 2 .... is dead  :# Kinda:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2

Let's hope one bright dude at Bethesda gets this great idea and approaches the CEO:

"Hey, I think our game would be just perfect for VR"  ❤️  😄

So I'm not going to buy Rage 2 today after all, maybe it's time for No Man's Sky... 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think reviews for Rage 2 have been generally positive--I've read a number of 8/10 reviews. I didn't pre-order, but I've been keeping an eye on it, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll grab it the first time I see it on a Steam sale. (GMG has it at a small discount, but resellers all have the Bethesda Launcher version. I'd rather get the Steam version, which includes features like cloud saves, which the Bethesda Launcher doesn't have. I'm also not sure if the BL version has Achievements, which the Steam version does have.)

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Wildt
Consultant

nalex66 said:

I think reviews for Rage 2 have been generally positive--I've read a number of 8/10 reviews. I didn't pre-order, but I've been keeping an eye on it, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll grab it the first time I see it on a Steam sale. (GMG has it at a small discount, but resellers all have the Bethesda Launcher version. I'd rather get the Steam version, which includes features like cloud saves, which the Bethesda Launcher doesn't have. I'm also not sure if the BL version has Achievements, which the Steam version does have.)

A lot of the negative reviews also seem like reactions to Bethesda being Bethesda. This review sums it up quite nicely:

"Bethesda didn't put up any information for Denuvo or Bethesda.net until release. Which is pretty scummy. You don't require a bethesda account to play but if you don't link one to the game you don't have access to any of your preorder content or deluxe edition content. The game runs fine, looks decent and gunplay is great. Bethesda is just being same old♥♥♥♥♥♥bethesda. However i do appreciate that i was able to buy this on steam."

I still haven't bought a Zenimax/Bethesda game since the Oculus lawsuit.

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Doom (2016) did get awesome reviews (Metascore 85), but Doom VFR - one of my favorite VR games - has a Metascore of 69. I do have FallOut 4 VR and Skyrim VR, but I don't really have the necessary time to invest in those games - and now I just bought another game which I'm probably not going to play much before July or August  😉

pvi4p2m3d4vz.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Rage 2, looks like GTX 1080 pulls through again - in 1920x1080 (performance seems like Hellblade to me):

GTX 1080 is close in 2560x1440, but no cigar  😕  (but turn down antialiasing a bit and it'll probably fly and you'll never notice any diff in image quality)

Even RTX 2080 Ti lost the 4K battle  :#

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/RAGE_2/

Seems like it's 10 hours playtime - and some reviewers complained about that??!!?? - That's 25% longer than Lone Echo, 2 x Moss and 4 x Transference, seems to me like Rage 2's playtime goes on forever!  😄

BTW, 6 GB video ram should be enough for everyone 😉

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I heard 15 hours for the main quest, and way more time to do most of the side content. That's fine for me, there are very few games these days that I'll commit that much time to (although I have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 4).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Wildt
Consultant
1700h in TF2 but don't tell anyone :grimace:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb