New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Yup just seen that revised date on their webpage ;) but can my friends get it in the UK is the question???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• kaanaslankaanaslan Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    I sold my Oculus Rift a few days ago and just pre ordered Oculus S. I'm still thinking of buying Oculus Quest too. 
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHZ - MSI Z390 GODLIKE Motherboard - EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 - 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHZ Memory - 1 TB Samsung EVO PLUS Series M2 SSD - Corsair H115i Platinum Water Cooler - Phanteks Evolve X Case & 4xML140 Corsair RGB Fan - Corsair HXi 850 PSU - Corsair K70 MK2 Keyboard - Logitech G933 Headset - Logitech G903 Mouse - Oculus Rift S (Preordered)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,474 Volunteer Moderator
    We won't have long to wait for a lot of user reviews of the Rift-S so people will soon have a very good idea of comparison between CV1 and S in all departments.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,611 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Say I didn't like the Rift -S for whatever reason or it was a bad fit with the halo - Would I get 30 days to return it? @RuneSR2, do you have any idea what my rights would be? I'm just thinking if this guy from Road To VR was right. I'd hate to think I would be forced into keeping a headset that was a bad fit.
    I don't think so if you buy from Oculus, but you could ask them. Maybe it's better to buy from Amazon... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,298 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:
    Techy111 said:
    No mate, enterprise first

Can anyone buy enterprise or do you have to have a business?

It's easy to set up a business, buddy. It cost me like $20 to register my business in Texas. Another $500 or so if you want to incorporate. But a DBA is all you need.

http://zenbaneskinkymassageservices.com

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,165 Valuable Player
    @Shadowmask72  - How are you gonna get one?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,023 Valuable Player
    Ill wait until 6th then consider the options. I assume consumer version will be available via HP store or Amazon. Microsoft store might have them as well. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    Finally all competitive display specs are in 

Rift S : No IPD Adjustment, 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye 
    Valve Index : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 1440x1600 resolution per eye (same to vive pro)
    HP Reverb : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 2160x2160 resolution per eye (Winner for Display) 

We have display fidelity winner here undisputed. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Dilip said:

Valve Index : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 1440x1600 resolution per eye (same to vive pro)
    HP Reverb : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 2160x2160 resolution per eye (Winner for Display) 

I would argue we should point out the sub pixel count as well - like 2 vs 3 now that we are not using OLED as the main target anymore. There for saying that Index is the same as vive pro is a bit misleading. Same for Rift S when it is clearly better than the CV1 in terms of clarity. 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,282 Valuable Player
    Makes me wonder if they will add more sensors for the consumer bundle now Oculus have 5 cameras. If they don't it would be a big mistake.
    Nexus 6
    Makes me wonder if they will add more sensors for the consumer bundle now Oculus have 5 cameras. If they don't it would be a big mistake.
    By they do you refer HP for Reverb? I doubt honestly HP will do anything to break WMR system.
    edited May 2019
    Dilip said:
    By they do you refer HP for Reverb? I doubt honestly HP will do anything to break WMR system.
    Are they forced to only have two cameras? If so maybe WMR will consider updating their system if Oculus are raising the bar.

I don't know much about WMR standards to be honest but I know the Reverb would have been No 1 on my list if it had acceptable tracking (and the index didn't come along).

Mind you if the index had not arrived, I would just bought the knuckles with it.
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2019
    Dilip said:
    Are they forced to only have two cameras? If so maybe WMR will consider updating their system if Oculus are raising the bar.

I don't know much about WMR standards to be honest but I know the Reverb would have been No 1 on my list if it had acceptable tracking (and the index didn't come along).

Mind you if the index had not arrived, I would just bought the knuckles with it.
    WMR has some internal algorithms and tracking system that picks up clues from camera feed its great idea to ask someone from Microsoft i wish would be here, but indeed since no manufacturer so far touched or altered number of camera and its position they got to have something to do to retain compatibility with WMR codes is my strong intuition.
    I think somebody need to confirm from Microsoft. Reverb really has very good screens as established from many reviews legitimacy of few beyond any doubt so yes in ideal world we need RIFT S+ with 2160 displays immediate as upgrade option for those who own capable PCs, as Why Not? it will certainly not fragment market because software maker need not to put any effort to just churn out option to set resolution for RIFT S or S+ to be software toggle switch it will bring more people to ecosystem with high end machines, Windows gaming always had multiple resolutions its not console and this fact is accepted as established. 
    edited May 2019
    My next (big boy) headset is going to be the HP reverb. I am well decided now before the number crunching. Whilst the 8K I own features two 2160p displays, it upscales from 1440p which isn't as  good a solution as the native 2160p of the Reverb. I an certain the Reverb will be resolution King. Plus it just looks so much like the original Rift's successor.  I really can't wait to try this now. A shame then this two week delay in releasing the consumer version.

I am adopting a wait-and-see approach with the Index. I am certain once the initial excitement dies down they will be readily available with no long wait when ordering towards the end of this year. I think it won't be the resolution, or the comfort, lenses or fov but the tracking which might impress me. Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 
    I've gotten the same vibes which is why I took the plunge on Index. It was a tough choice between Index and Reverb but I decided to go with the whole package and superior tracking for now while waiting for GPU tech to advance. I can always grab a higher res HMD later. 

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,611 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 
    I've gotten the same vibes which is why I took the plunge on Index. It was a tough choice between Index and Reverb but I decided to go with the whole package and superior tracking for now while waiting for GPU tech to advance. I can always grab a higher res HMD later. 

Also the Index feels like Valve's attempt to outshine the CV1 in every way - better HMD, possibly better build quality, probably better 3D sound (for those who don't mind the off-ear design) and better controllers (all fingers are movable).  Reverb feels more like an attempt to make a HMD with awesome res - but compared to the Index it's not a completely revolutionary setup for VR gaming and immersion. 

Valve's main problem may be that they underestimate the power of content - Oculus could win big time this year due to Stormland, Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath and Defector. Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    RuneSR2 said: Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive ;)

OH GOD don't bring that back up LOL shit hits the fan FAST. Not sure who is right - but I just remember the soo much back lash when they broke it by mistake. People threaten to just start giving out the games for free if they did not fix it soon xD
    edited May 2019
    This may be an odd question but could I test revive with a rift?
    Mradr said:
    RuneSR2 said: Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive ;)

OH GOD don't bring that back up LOL shit hits the fan FAST. Not sure who is right - but I just remember the soo much back lash when they broke it by mistake. People threaten to just start giving out the games for free if they did not fix it soon xD
    Yea that's what would probably happen is everything would just get pirated and Oculus would get no money for the games. I doubt they want that anymore than we do. 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    If there was a rise in VR app piracy I would LOVE to see the anti-piracy measures that rise to deter it.   I'm sure you've heard of the creative things flatscreen devs have done to torment pirates...  now imagine what VR devs could do.

Scary images flashing onto your screen, creepy / annoying binaural audio,  screwing with the game's scale,  making your hands really tiny and foreshortening your reach... the possibilities are endless.
    >:)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 477
    Trinity
    Dilip said:

Both Rift S and HP Reverb are fixed displays w/o a mechanical IPD adjustment.  IPD for both are adjusted via software.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • dennisvanderpooldennisvanderpool Posts: 29
    Brain Burst

• dennisvanderpooldennisvanderpool Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    New review of the HP Reverb (must read IMO)
    https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset
    I'm now going back to the Oculus Rift S after reading the review.
    I sold my Rift CV1 about a month ago, doesn't feel like an upgrade now, but better than no VR :)
    New review of the HP Reverb (must read IMO)
    https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset
    I'm now going back to the Oculus Rift S after reading the review.
    I sold my Rift CV1 about a month ago, doesn't feel like an upgrade now, but better than no VR :)
    Mura, red smearing, and chromatic aberration? That's disappointing. 
    CrashFu said:
    To be fair, I suspect that this Ben guy might have a superhuman sense of vision.

That massive increase to resolution and high subpixel fill and he still says the Screen Door Effect is merely "on the verge of being difficult to see." 

1080p must look like 480p to this guy. :lol: 
    He is just being extremely nitpicky.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Resolution alone doesn't necessarily imply higher overall screen quality, sort of like how megapixels are not a good indication of digital camera quality. I've purchased "4K" action cams from ebay that I guess technically were recording at 4K resolution but looked like a potato.
    edited May 2019
    Resolution alone doesn't necessarily imply higher overall screen quality, sort of like how megapixels are not a good indication of digital camera quality. I've purchased "4K" action cams from ebay that I guess technically were recording at 4K resolution but looked like a potato.
    Agreed. PPD matters a lot as well as lenses and subpixels. I've seen people complain about the Odyssey+ SDE and I think they're being nitpicky. Sure I can see SDE if I look for it against a bright scene or something but it's so minor that I really have no reason to look for it lol. Compare that to the CV1 where I have to constantly try not to look at the SDE lol.  What is a more annoying problem with the O+ is softening and the small sweet spot and blurring along all the edges. Looks like it'll be awhile before we get a great high res solution. 
    Ben's words have to be taken as a whole and the headline says it all.

An Impressive Headset Stuck with Windows VR Controller

He could have said

An Impressive Headset plagued by dodgy Windows VR Controllers and poor display artifacts

It's easy to forget his original headline when he uses phrases such as "Unfortunately, overall clarity is held back in a large way by plainly visible mura."

So despite that, the headset is still "impressive" for someone who is a bit of a nitpick.  That alone surely speaks volumes. Despite the issues it's still an impressive headset but could be better if it fixes said issues. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,165 Valuable Player
    @Shadowmask72 - While I agree with that, he still concludes that the overall visual clarity is "just" on par with the Index due to the mura. This tips the scales back towards the Index for me. 
    I expected the Reverb to blow away all competition in regards to visual clarity and detail. It was the sole reason for not preordering the Index, and now I get to wait almost half a year to get that :(
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb