Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Luciferous
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Damn that's way more than I was expecting. I'm actually excited that Arizona Sunshine is on that list as that's a game I never finished. I also had to do a double take...Vanishing Realms is still being developed for? Wow, I thought that was a dead project, game is awesome. 

pyroth309 said:

Damn that's way more than I was expecting. I'm actually excited that Arizona Sunshine is on that list as that's a game I never finished. I also had to do a double take...Vanishing Realms is still being developed for? Wow, I thought that was a dead project, game is awesome. 

You're right - I too haven't finished one of the greatest VR games ever. Some girl - was her name Lucy? - Well, she hid inside a mine. How stupid is that? Hiding in a pitch-black mine swarming with zombies?  :# In short, I haven't gotten around to getting her out yet :blush:  (Actually I'm at the entrance, but some alarm went off and suddenly 50+ zombies come running - it didn't end well for me the last time we all met, sigh). 

Doom VFR is still the best VR shooter I know of - but I'm at the final battle now, saving it for a special moment  B) But could be fun to try with optimal controller support, if that game get Knuckles support.  

Vanishing Realms is still Early Access - seems not to have been updated since Jan 2018, still reviews are great - does support Oculus:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/

Oh forgot I already had this in my steam collection, yeah it is pretty fun RPG but fairly basic. Although not sure how much improvements been made must have bought it a couple years ago.

I think Skyrim vr turned up and that sucked up any RPG time for me.

I remember the mine, get yourself in the corner of the veranda of the store and that will limit their ways of attack. Remember to get all ammo in store first you’ll need it. Gonna to need a lot of headshots. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I completely agree with Zenbane that Knuckles look like Wands with extra buttons, but at least it's a great thing if Knuckles may be able to simulate Touch like shown in the video. 

Yea I didn't have any doubts that it would work which is why I jumped in. I didn't realize though that Re-vive already has knuckles support added. That's good to know. Re-vive dev has been working on a new version since March that will use OpenXR. Once that happens, everything should be pretty interchangeable. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Just by pure luck my games room has outlets in all the right places. I guess power extensions cables are cheaper than long USB extensions anyway.

Dilip
Rising Star
Index has quite disappointed with resolution of displays ... they spoke too much of enthusiast thing and device being set  for experienced users blah blah ... what they did in end 1440p  😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dilip said:

Index has quite disappointed with resolution of displays ... they spoke too much of enthusiast thing and device being set  for experienced users blah blah ... what they did in end 1440p  😛

It's actually 1600p, the Rift S is 1440p. Not a big difference between the two though, certainly not a £520 difference.

That's why I'm so pissed off with Valve. I don't have a problem with them aiming the Index at the enthusiast market, but if someone expects me to pay £919 for a headset I'm going to want something truly high end. And the Valve Index isn't it. Same goes for the Vive Pro too.

If Valve want me to pay that sort of money for a headset then it's going to need to be a 2160p headset or a headset with a similar FOV to the Pimax ones. 1600p and 130° FOV just doesn't cut it.

pyroth309
Visionary
This is why I included Raiders of Erda in that last list of games. I read this a couple of months ago and just found it again. 
https://tylerlindell.com/news/raiders-of-erda-dev-reveals-investment-ikabod-for-accurate-vr-avatars/

They're still working on it as of February and are licensing its avatar mapping tech. If they've been working on it the whole 2 years, it should be great. 

Also on their site it says this - 

Assemble your crew of Raiders and go hunting monsters, searching for loot and completing quests.

If you’ve seen someone swing a sword, draw a bow and arrow, or wield a mace, you already know how to play this game, as the game uses motion controllers in a naturalistic and intuitive way. There is a huge range of weapons, from close-range to long distance to choose from. You can pick combat styles that suit you – but don’t assume that your foes will always let you have your own way!

We’ve taken the evergreen genre of MMORPG* and reimagined it for social VR.

Liberate your homeland, ravaged by hordes of enemies named ‘The Scourge’ distorted by a mystical power. Uncover the mystery of what happened to your homeland and discover what it will take to reclaim it.

*An MMO is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game… think World of Warcraft, sometimes referred to as an MMORPG Massively Multiplayer Online

Raiders of Erda offers a rich RPG lore and a world to discover. You are encouraged to team up with friends and conquer enemies together. Co-ordinate and undertake raids on enemy ground or stand side-by-side with your team-mates to protect your territory against overwhelming odds.

Create new allegiances, and deeper bonds, as you share the journey with others. Equip yourself with weapons, armour, magical runes and other loot that you have amassed.

Please sign up to be notified of development updates and to be part of a public test phase.

Sounds like they've flipped it to a MMORPG which would be awesome for me lol.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

Dilip said:

It's actually 1600p, the Rift S is 1440p. Not a big difference between the two though, certainly not a £520 difference.

That's why I'm so pissed off with Valve. I don't have a problem with them aiming the Index at the enthusiast market, but if someone expects me to pay £919 for a headset I'm going to want something truly high end. And the Valve Index isn't it. Same goes for the Vive Pro too.

If Valve want me to pay that sort of money for a headset then it's going to need to be a 2160p headset or a headset with a similar FOV to the Pimax ones. 1600p and 130° FOV just doesn't cut it.

Yea no doubt the Value is poor but I'm actually thinking of doubling down on the poor value and going for a RTX 2080TI FTW3 lol. Tired of waiting for a new GPU and I want to run everything in 120hz or 144hz. Plus I think I'm going to give my Rift to my Nephew and my 1080 would let him run it great. But geez the performance per dollar is so abysmal on that card. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

But most of that isnt the Headset cost - The headset it self is price correctly. Its the controller cost. I wouldn't be mad at them over the headset cost - I would be for the controllers and the base stations.

1x Headset: $499
2x LH: $222
1x Controllers: $279

Rumor LH cost was around the: 175$ mark for the pair so there is an extra 47$ there. The controllers I knew was going to be high, but 279$ high seems really crazy to me as well. Most was thinking 200$ for them making them an extra 79$. Over all - rumor price was around the 800-900 range already though - so I guess what is an extra 120$ for SH/H and other factors - meh. I am with you though - I wish they would've taken the hit and didn't charge the extra cost for the bundle it self and made it around 800$. That would've been a perfect value.

CrashFu
Consultant
Kind of a moot point, unless you're willing to use the Index with the 1.0 lighthouses and Vive wands.

And even that scenario only applies if you already own those things, since... I just looked it up and apparently it still costs as much for a set of those as it does for the Lighthouse 2.0 and Knuckles???

Because the lighthouses and controllers are mandatory to use the device, that $499 headset price really only applies if yours breaks and you have to replace it at your own expense.

Though, based on what we know about the controllers (curiously lightweight for their size, lots of moving parts, LOTS of delicate tech inside, strap materials that will probably wear down with use, etc.),  I think you're far more likely to have to replace those than the headset... IE, I don't think it's a coincidence that they cost so much, or have to be bought in pairs instead of individually.
>:)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CrashFu said:

Kind of a moot point, unless you're willing to use the Index with the 1.0 lighthouses and Vive wands.

And even that scenario only applies if you already own those things, since... I just looked it up and apparently it still costs as much for a set of those as it does for the Lighthouse 2.0 and Knuckles???

Because the lighthouses and controllers are mandatory to use the device, that $499 headset price really only applies if yours breaks and you have to replace it at your own expense.

Though, based on what we know about the controllers (curiously lightweight for their size, lots of moving parts, LOTS of delicate tech inside, strap materials that will probably wear down with use, etc.),  I think you're far more likely to have to replace those than the headset... IE, I don't think it's a coincidence that they cost so much, or have to be bought in pairs instead of individually.

Well not really a moot point. My point is that the headset isn't what is to be mad at - its the extra. Valve over charge on them and there for I think complaining about the whole package or the extra is where the talk should be about. I mean I dont think lowering the headset would do anything would it? What-  they remove 100$ from the headset - so what? It wont do anything about the price as you would still end up having to buy the extra stuff if you are new to VR or even LH tracking. 

They could always lower the cost of these "extras" over time making the whole package cheaper. So while yes - you need all of them if you are coming at this new - current users will not have to pay as much to upgrade their headset. This would include current CV1 users as well. Plus there is another group of users/game style that doesn't use controllers at all such as your sim group. Heck for them - the headset + one BS would be more than enough.

The controllers are not "mandatory" at all - you could use wands or even Oculus Touch controllers if you wish to if you have them (granted this was using a hack someone put together). Something I am going to try when both my Index and Rift S comes in and see how they feel working together. 

Don't get me wrong - I understand what you are trying to say - it's just that I don't see the point in saying the headset needs to be cheaper when it's the extras that need to be cheaper. The extras are what have the extra tax to them that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

True, when they was being demo out - I heard lots of complaints of them breaking - almost being smash from the user grip alone LOL. Then again- they might have been using weaker plastic to help get them out the door faster.