cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

Luciferous
Consultant
Makes me wonder if they will add more sensors for the consumer bundle now Oculus have 5 cameras. If they don't it would be a big mistake.

Dilip
Rising Star

Makes me wonder if they will add more sensors for the consumer bundle now Oculus have 5 cameras. If they don't it would be a big mistake.

By they do you refer HP for Reverb? I doubt honestly HP will do anything to break WMR system.

Luciferous
Consultant

Dilip said:

By they do you refer HP for Reverb? I doubt honestly HP will do anything to break WMR system.

Are they forced to only have two cameras? If so maybe WMR will consider updating their system if Oculus are raising the bar.

I don't know much about WMR standards to be honest but I know the Reverb would have been No 1 on my list if it had acceptable tracking (and the index didn't come along).

Mind you if the index had not arrived, I would just bought the knuckles with it.

Dilip
Rising Star

Dilip said:

Are they forced to only have two cameras? If so maybe WMR will consider updating their system if Oculus are raising the bar.

I don't know much about WMR standards to be honest but I know the Reverb would have been No 1 on my list if it had acceptable tracking (and the index didn't come along).

Mind you if the index had not arrived, I would just bought the knuckles with it.

WMR has some internal algorithms and tracking system that picks up clues from camera feed its great idea to ask someone from Microsoft i wish would be here, but indeed since no manufacturer so far touched or altered number of camera and its position they got to have something to do to retain compatibility with WMR codes is my strong intuition.
I think somebody need to confirm from Microsoft. Reverb really has very good screens as established from many reviews legitimacy of few beyond any doubt so yes in ideal world we need RIFT S+ with 2160 displays immediate as upgrade option for those who own capable PCs, as Why Not? it will certainly not fragment market because software maker need not to put any effort to just churn out option to set resolution for RIFT S or S+ to be software toggle switch it will bring more people to ecosystem with high end machines, Windows gaming always had multiple resolutions its not console and this fact is accepted as established. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My next (big boy) headset is going to be the HP reverb. I am well decided now before the number crunching. Whilst the 8K I own features two 2160p displays, it upscales from 1440p which isn't as  good a solution as the native 2160p of the Reverb. I an certain the Reverb will be resolution King. Plus it just looks so much like the original Rift's successor.  I really can't wait to try this now. A shame then this two week delay in releasing the consumer version.

I am adopting a wait-and-see approach with the Index. I am certain once the initial excitement dies down they will be readily available with no long wait when ordering towards the end of this year. I think it won't be the resolution, or the comfort, lenses or fov but the tracking which might impress me. Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 

I've gotten the same vibes which is why I took the plunge on Index. It was a tough choice between Index and Reverb but I decided to go with the whole package and superior tracking for now while waiting for GPU tech to advance. I can always grab a higher res HMD later. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Some people are hinting this is quite extraordinary in terms of how it makes the user feel within the VR space. 

I've gotten the same vibes which is why I took the plunge on Index. It was a tough choice between Index and Reverb but I decided to go with the whole package and superior tracking for now while waiting for GPU tech to advance. I can always grab a higher res HMD later. 

Also the Index feels like Valve's attempt to outshine the CV1 in every way - better HMD, possibly better build quality, probably better 3D sound (for those who don't mind the off-ear design) and better controllers (all fingers are movable).  Reverb feels more like an attempt to make a HMD with awesome res - but compared to the Index it's not a completely revolutionary setup for VR gaming and immersion. 

Valve's main problem may be that they underestimate the power of content - Oculus could win big time this year due to Stormland, Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath and Defector. Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said: Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive 😉

OH GOD don't bring that back up LOL shit hits the fan FAST. Not sure who is right - but I just remember the soo much back lash when they broke it by mistake. People threaten to just start giving out the games for free if they did not fix it soon xD

Luciferous
Consultant
This may be an odd question but could I test revive with a rift?

pyroth309
Visionary

Mradr said:

RuneSR2 said: Especially if Oculus could deactivate Revive 😉

OH GOD don't bring that back up LOL shit hits the fan FAST. Not sure who is right - but I just remember the soo much back lash when they broke it by mistake. People threaten to just start giving out the games for free if they did not fix it soon xD

Yea that's what would probably happen is everything would just get pirated and Oculus would get no money for the games. I doubt they want that anymore than we do.